Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
dluevanos01
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
dluevanos01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
Most of you are fucking stupid. "Drift tax" has NOTHING to do with it. As stated previously, it's supply and demand. Go ahead and try to find a CLEAN 240 for ANY price. They're not out there anymore. They've all been modded and beat to shit. A clean stock 240 is WORTH as much as a modded POS with a half-assed SR swap. Why? Because you CAN'T FIND a clean stock 240. 240's are getting to be like 510's, they're all used up. If I had a clean stock 5-speed S13 to sell I would be taxing your asses $4000 for it. I wouldn't feel bad either because that's what they're worth. The value of clean versions these cars has skyrocketed because so many have been effectively destroyed by drift kids. You CAN still find good deals, BUT you have to be resourceful and patient. Most of you are neither of those things.

OP: Why in the fucking hell would you look to KBB for a price for ANY car??? Much less a popularly modified car that is hard to find clean. KBB is worthless. NO car is sold for the KBB price. Go ahead and look up anything you like. Then go look for the same car on craigslist. You'll see that the prices do not match.
I quoted you because I partially agree with you. Supply and demand has something to do with it. With a fixed or decreasing supply (since a lot are being crashed and Nissan is not producing anymore) and with increasing demand from whoever it be, cause a rise in prices.

It all has to do with whether supply creates demand, or if demand creates supply. I personally believe in the later one.So when a person wants something they look at the utility ( benefit) they will get from it. this will also justify your statement as to why a clean stock 240 is worth more than a half-ass SR swapped with "more" value parts in it.

A person when purchasing something must weight the marginal benefit and marginal cost. So if they decide to purchase a car THEY BELIEVE that the car outweights the cost. Thus their utility of the vehicle is greater than the cost, so they will buy it. The now lets examine some human behavior,. why do people buy Nike shoes opposed to a $10 generic brand? or why do people pay $15-20 for a shirt when pro club brand can be had for ~$4? or why don't people buy a SPL opposed to Godspeed? Because they are minimizing their risk. With a brand name, people, myself included, feel that they are minimizing their risk. Thus their willingness to pay for the object rises.

So when prices of clean 240s rise, other sellers of beat up cars feel that they can justify higher prices because they are asking close to what the clean one sells for and theirs has more "valuable parts".

I feel like you are the one who better describe the issue, and drift tax is just persons incentive to get a bigger return through moral hazard by making their bucket seemed and think it's valued at the same price as a clean car.