Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:14 PM   #1
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
doridoridori is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
summer heat and engine temps

just trying to see if this happens to anyone and maybe if there's anything to combat it. But it's been getting 100+ every day, past 2 days has been 115F and 117F, been driving the car to work but my temps are creeping towards 200-210F im going to assume it's because how hot it is outside. Anyone else have similar issues? i notice when it gets that hot im not even going to bother getting on the car. I have a SR swap, T28 nothing too crazy
Old 07-26-2018, 10:57 PM   #2
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
Clutch fan!
nisileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:31 PM   #3
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
clutch fan and oem shroud
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:57 PM   #4
LayNLow
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
LayNLow is making a name for him/her selfLayNLow is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
First and second post, say no more.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:18 PM   #5
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

i have an SR swapped car but it isn't in an s chassis so clutch fan is a no go, doesn't fit
Old 08-06-2018, 11:24 PM   #6
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
Mount the fan on the backside of the clutch. Try the GKTech fan.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:28 AM   #7
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
First of all. 200*F isn't that hot. I would say its fairly normal.

But I can see where you are coming from. Having 180*F on tap is nice.

what can we do
-cooling capacity, rad upgrade, larger hoses, run a hose somewhere and back, think about anywhere you can store extra water that moves away from the engine and through the radiator. With a large enough reservoir you could keep the water ambient temp if you wanted. You can get super creative for cheap with this. Ex. take the water line feeding the turbo and send it first through a heat exchanger, maybe a 2qt cooler or something random you can find for $5 using $5 of ebay hoses. If it leaks big deal put it somewhere easy to get to and remove. If it pans out you can spend more for a more long term install. Bottom line is even just 1/2 gallon addl might help. Only down side is water weighs quite a bit per gallon so its kind of a last resort I guess, most would prefer to reduce coolant reserves instead.

-fans, high quality fans. Truly high quality fans. I know for a fact those Altima ~93-97 are cheap and work very well. And fit, barely, an oem size aluminum radiator even in front of an LS. Clutch fan is great of course but its 2018 we should have electrical fans if we are mechanically inclined as it gives more room to work on the engine.

-airflow, make sure at highway speeds there is nothing obviously wrong with the pathlines or streamlines of air, look under modern cars at how they tend to flatten the underside, you should have some kind of cover there and make sure you are running some kind of air control strategy near the front of the vehicle to ensure it goes through the radiator. The clue obviously is a car that stays cool driving under 40mph but heats up as it goes faster.

-Radiator, I try aluminum OEM size first and if I needed upgrade it would be a Griffon (griffen? griffan?) no question

Last edited by Kingtal0n; 08-07-2018 at 10:36 AM..
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:06 PM   #8
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

not too hot well maybe i am over thinking it. I was always told that close to 220 is too hot. So if its hanging around 200 and im not beating on it id like to do as much as i can with the space i have to keep it cool as possible. I was told also an oil cooler should drop temps anywhere from 5-10 deg. which might be the remedy. I am running an afco radiator with a very good fan/shroud setup with redline WW and distilled water as well
Old 08-07-2018, 07:28 PM   #9
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisileighty View Post
Mount the fan on the backside of the clutch. Try the GKTech fan.
care to elaborate? not sure i understand what you mean, it isn't in an s chassis though so i have zero room for a clutch fan
Old 08-07-2018, 07:29 PM   #10
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Post a pic of your setup
Old 08-08-2018, 10:09 PM   #11
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisileighty View Post
Post a pic of your setup