Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-14-2017, 09:08 PM   #1
shawn1331
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
shawn1331 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 subframe bushing issue

Hey dudes, quick question.

Doing an energy suspension subframe bushing install on my 91 s13. I'm having an odd issue, 1 of my 4 bushings is currently installed. The issue I'm having is that when i install the top of any of the other 3 bushings, it's almost like the hole isn't round so i can't get the bottom half to go in and if I do it pops out as soon as I try to slide the metal sleeve down the center.

I'm wondering, is it possible my sleeves that stay in the subframe are in such bad shape that it's unuseable? I looked at pictures of other peoples install and the sleeves cleaned up so shiny and smooth, where as mine are pitted and not exactly smooth. Any of you had this issue before?
shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2017, 10:23 PM   #2
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Pics................
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:17 AM   #3
Bnr32gtr
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Bnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Try some lube
Bnr32gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:47 AM   #4
frsh2fourty

frsh2fourty has a spectacular aura aboutfrsh2fourty has a spectacular aura aboutfrsh2fourty has a spectacular aura aboutfrsh2fourty has a spectacular aura aboutfrsh2fourty has a spectacular aura aboutfrsh2fourty has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to frsh2fourty
I had the same issue on a few of the suspension arms I did. Make sure everything is lubed up and use a c clamp or huge channel locks to hold the bottom bushing as you're pressing the sleeve down.
frsh2fourty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:24 PM   #5
snorkelcoupe
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
snorkelcoupe is making a name for him/her selfsnorkelcoupe is making a name for him/her selfsnorkelcoupe is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I just did this install last week, the lower bushings wouldn't stay in either. I simply installed the subframe, then put the lower bushings in place and pressed it with the oem hardware (large washer/nut). Just make sure it all lines up. You left the inner metal sleeve in the subframe correct?
snorkelcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:46 PM   #6
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorkelcoupe View Post
I just did this install last week, the lower bushings wouldn't stay in either. I simply installed the subframe, then put the lower bushings in place and pressed it with the oem hardware (large washer/nut). Just make sure it all lines up. You left the inner metal sleeve in the subframe correct?

This.

The compression on the " nipple " of the lower bushing is just too great for it to stay in there when lubed up brand new.

On the s13 subframe you're going to 9/10 have that issue. install with top portion and metal sleeve in, and tab the bottom one in once you've got the subframe in the air. I've literally installed/removed my sub frame 10 times since doing the energy bushings. It goes down to a science the more you do it.

I personally think it's more tough to align and jack the subframe up than it is to get those bottoms in lol.
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:52 PM   #7
shawn1331
Leaky Injector

shawn1331 is an unknown quantity at this point
Perfect thanks for the answers guys! sorry been busy today. I have the 2 rear bushings installed perfectly, haven't got everything together to put it in the car yet, just thought id install the bushings and have it ready to go but ran into this issue.

My sleeves are still intact in the subframe there just pitted/old which i think is whats giving me my issue! Anyways I'll give that a go hopefully later this week if the rest of my parts show up
shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote