Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 10-21-2020, 10:25 PM   #1
Dsmguy1993
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Dsmguy1993 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
sr20det s13 air intake issues

Hey guys whats up so I am in the final stages of my sr20 swap the motor cranks fine and it sounds good when it cranks all I need to make this sr run is an air intake at this point basically. So my issue im having with the air intake being setup is notice how in my pictures with the 3? nissan to turbo intake pipe it almost comes in the way of my turbos water drain line. I am running a diftech turbo drain line because I hate that stupid coolant line behind the cylinder head and the guy I bought my sr swap from deleted that line entirely(thank god) lol. So I can move that line a little bit and it can be a tight fit but I dont know if slightly bending that water return line for the turbo is bad for it? And I really dont want to test it Id rather not damage anything. Anyways has anyone else ever ran into the air intake system on our cars being a tight fit given your running turbo line to the upper water neck like I am? What air intake system do you recommend? I know this sounds like a dumb question I can swap a motor but when it comes to the small stuff like this I turn into a total retard lol. anyways pictures below

https://i.postimg.cc/hj1YMVjc/754169...BD4-AB0-E9.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/Wz9Hcjgy/F6905-...-A0-D75-A8.jpg
Dsmguy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2020, 05:30 AM   #2
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
It's a braided AN line, it's made to bend, so you're perfectly fine. It will wear against aluminum or a silicone coupler from vibration though, so you'll want to zip tie or secure it somehow so it can't vibrate against the intake.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:44 AM   #3
Dsmguy1993
Leaky Injector

thanks for your input poormans180wx my uncle had told me the same thing but I wanted to ask the zilvians since this is the nissan forum. I am thinking about just running the cxracing air intake kit it is cheap and seems like it can work well they do make two different versions although it does mount in a funny spot I may even just get another brand aside from cxracing let me do some research I can post back with the air intake I use if anyone is curious. The apexi super suction one looks nice but a bit too pricey to be honest.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:28 PM   #4
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
The turbo water feed from the block should go to the lower water port on the turbo, the one that faces the engine. The oil from the turbo comes out the higher port on the other side and up to the water neck. This promotes "thermal siphoning". The DIF lines are a pain to install with this proper orientation, but it is possible. They designed them the other way around which isn't efficient.

This is according to Garrett:
https://www.garrettmotion.com/racing...or-your-turbo/
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:37 PM   #5
Dsmguy1993
Leaky Injector

yeah thats pretty much how my t25 is setup my diftech water line goes to the turbos water port(facing the engine). The water feed from the sr20s block I have setup to the side of the turbo facing the strut tower and the oil feed and drain you obviously can only install one way. I also run Kinugawa turbo lines and they work very well you dont even need to unscrew the turbos banjos from the block just undo the line and bam your done!
Old 10-26-2020, 04:17 PM   #6
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmguy1993 View Post
yeah thats pretty much how my t25 is setup my diftech water line goes to the turbos water port(facing the engine). The water feed from the sr20s block I have setup to the side of the turbo facing the strut tower and the oil feed and drain you obviously can only install one way. I also run Kinugawa turbo lines and they work very well you dont even need to unscrew the turbos banjos from the block just undo the line and bam your done!
So you confirmed exactly what I said in my previous post, your water lines are hooked up backwards.

The feed line from the block goes to the lower water port on the turbo (facing the engine) and the return from the turbo (higher side towards the strut tower) goes to the upper water neck.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:25 PM   #7
Dsmguy1993
Leaky Injector

tbh man thats how I saw someone install their isr turbo lines on youtube I mean as long as coolant is flowing through their im sure itll be okay?
Old 10-26-2020, 05:38 PM   #8
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmguy1993 View Post
tbh man thats how I saw someone install their isr turbo lines on youtube I mean as long as coolant is flowing through their im sure itll be okay?
Yea..its not the true proper setup. But its not gonna destroy a turbo or an engine....it will run just fine
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:28 PM   #9
Dsmguy1993
Leaky Injector

ahh I see welll that makes me feel a lot better lol I would rather not pull stuff off. I may make a new thread about this but anyways guys I got my sr20det started tonight woooh it died after a few seconds though I test started it with an open downpipe. My vacuum line from the intake manifold goes to my brake booster, I got the fpr vacuum line hooked up to the throttle body(top left nipple). I got no vacuum line currently on the wastegate which I plan on doing tomorrow I just wanted to hear it run really fast it sounds just fine when it starts though. Also I just had my maf sensor hooked up to the oem small 3 inch intake pipe which comes off the turbos opening just to test it using duct tape to connect them. I am going to trouble shoot this later this week I pulled the plugs they seemed wet my ecu is dumping fuel and I dont know if its because its cold outside 40 degrees to be exact OR if its because I ghetto rigged my maf on and my computer is not monitoring my fuel correctly. I also remember I did not dial in my tps I just installed it but I need to dial that in first and that could be why it has starting issues perhaps? not too sure to be honest im just confused as to why it started that one time and after that did not want to I also did not feather the throttle or anything like that I just tried to start it normally but I did not over crank it as I dont want to ruin anything of course I tried for 6-7 seconds then stopped.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:40 PM   #10
Dsmguy1993
Leaky Injector

UPDATE: To those curious I got my sr20det started the issue was I guess the tps because after I disconnected it I tried cranking the car for 6-7 seconds I would say while giving it a little gas and it started right up and two consecutive times after that one time was on a different day also and this was on an open downpipe. So I guess it really is important to make sure your tps is 0.45-0.5 closed throttle and a little bit under or right at 5 v for WOT (That and make sure your tps actually works obviously). Yeah so Im super happy only reason my tps is not currently dialed in is because I need to buy a volt meter so when I get paid im gonna get a cheap voltmeter dial in the TPS and wire my AEM uego controller/wideband gauge to the battery and read its AFRs. Thanks to everyone who helped me out and im glad we got this sr running first engine I ever really rebuilt and it sounds great it never stalled out or died on me probably because I replaced its IACV unit that mustve helped. In regards to the air intake issue I just used a silicone coupler right where the coolant return line is at the waterneck so theres no stress on it and it did not need to move much at all anyways so that solves that I havent properly put an intake on but I have piping and this weekend ill do that.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:45 AM   #11
DiscountPirate
Zilvia Member

DiscountPirate is an unknown quantity at this point
Always feels good to get that first swap under your belt.
DiscountPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:41 AM   #12
Dsmguy1993
Leaky Injector

It really does feel good I have no clue why to be honest hahaha but it does you know that is so true.