Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Z Chassis

Z Chassis Technical discussion related to the Z Chassis such as the S30, S310, Z31, Z32, Z33 and Z34.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
devnull
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
devnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Z31 steering rack help

My parents have a '86 Z that's a part-time rebuild project. The suspension is complete except for a problem with the steering rack bushings. The old set was worn out enough to warrant replacement, so we ordered a set of poly rack bushings from z31parts.com.

As it stands, the steering rack is able to shift itself left to right nearly a half-inch. It mostly happens at very low speed but it can happen on moderate corners at highway speed.

Assuming we can't order the original bushings from Nissan, we're considering either adding shimming/bolstering to the steering rack clamps or finding some solid bushing inserts.

Any helpful word would be appreciated.

Thanks.
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
Racinjitter
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
Racinjitter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Racinjitter Send a message via MSN to Racinjitter Send a message via Yahoo to Racinjitter
Have you sent an email to Jason about this? There is a thread about the concerns about the rack movement. Gary and Jason have worked very hard to provide the ultimate in customer service. Here is a link... Z31Performance.com • View topic - poly steering rack bushings ETA??
Old 03-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #3
devnull
Zilvia Member

devnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymore
Thanks for the link. I had sent an email about a week ago but got no reply.

I ordered a pair of Nissan rack bushings earlier today.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
Blackfull

Blackfull is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
My parents have a '86 Z that's a part-time rebuild project. The suspension is complete except for a problem with the steering rack bushings. The old set was worn out enough to warrant replacement, so we ordered a set of poly rack bushings from z31parts.com.

As it stands, the steering rack is able to shift itself left to right nearly a half-inch. It mostly happens at very low speed but it can happen on moderate corners at highway speed.

Assuming we can't order the original bushings from Nissan, we're considering either adding shimming/bolstering to the steering rack clamps or finding some solid bushing inserts.

Any helpful word would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Yea you should contact onlinezstore. the site is thezstore.com its has all you need , an they have an zshow every year in orange ca. I went to the show this year its was nice . i own an 87 300zx myself an working on it as well . replace in outer tie rod,control arm brushing, sway bar brushing,tension rod brushing, lot of work but you learn an lot about your z. Also you can check out BlackDragon auto.com. an get an catalog so you can see .
ok hope that help you . out . take care an good luck , if you have any question feel free to ask, if can help no problem.

jerry
Blackfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #5
devnull
Zilvia Member

Thanks for your help. We've already bought a number of parts from black dragon and they just don't have the clamps. Will check out thezstore.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
Racinjitter
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
Racinjitter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Racinjitter Send a message via MSN to Racinjitter Send a message via Yahoo to Racinjitter
The clamps you are looking for are NLA. Nobody reproduces them. You will have to find some that are used or at a pick and pull scrapyard. Your best bet is to put up a WTB ad on the z31 forums.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:39 PM   #7
Marc E Lawrence

Marc E Lawrence is making his/her stupidity well-knownMarc E Lawrence is making his/her stupidity well-knownMarc E Lawrence is making his/her stupidity well-known
Been there done that

I bought new Nissan bushings ($100). Did the same thing. Did you rebuild your suspension, i.e. new ball joints, tie rod ends? I had completely rebuilt the front end, shocks, bushings etc. Unfortunately my 85T is not running (2 years). So I can't remember if it went away or not. I think it did. And I attributed the slippage to stiff new parts causing the rack to move no matter how tight I tightened the clamps. I also thought there might be a slight difference in the diameter of the rebuilt rack I purchased but I had returned the old core (original rack) so I couldn't check to see. Sorry if this is no help but I do believe the slippage subsided with breaking in. But it sure was an uncomfortable feeling.
Marc E Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:20 PM   #8
vagabond

vagabond is an unknown quantity at this point
Like a lot of people with NA I had this problem.

The 87 had a thinner rack bracket on the driver side. There was play with the Nissan bushing and the MFP poly bushing.

Since I already had an extra turbo rack, I ordered Turbo Bracket Bolts and a Turbo Bracket.

The part for the bracket has been superseded and is the same as the thin bracket on my NA.

I scored a early model turbo bracket on the forum, swapped to a turbo rack and installed the poly bushings. When torque down there is zero rack movement.

Not good.
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote