Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Z Chassis

Z Chassis Technical discussion related to the Z Chassis such as the S30, S310, Z31, Z32, Z33 and Z34.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:41 PM   #1
fdjkvc

Trader Rating: (0)
fdjkvc is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to forum... Knocking suspension

Whas up guys and girls, im new to this forum, actually i dont even own a s or z chasis. I drive a R33 Skylline GTS-t here in Okinawa, anyway heres my prob...

i installed some second hand coilovers about a week ago and there is this irritating knocking coming from the rear whenever is hit a bump/pothole. Its coming from both shocks and its sounds like somethin in the top mount. I say this b/c i rode around with the back seats out and i pretty sure thats where its coming from. Ive done some searching on the site and saw that there are similar situations with you s chasis guys but i havent seen any soulutions. Does anyone have any advice or experiance with this problem? The coilovers are in good condition so i dont think the shock itself is bad.

Thanks
fdjkvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
stealthj
Zilvia Junkie

stealthj is making a name for him/her selfstealthj is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to stealthj
its not the shocks themeselves, ive had this prob on some of my Z's and especially s13's..

what i would reccomend is to replace the top strut mounts as this usually fixed my problem, you might even look into replacing some bushings.. etc...

but the shock mounts should do it, as they get old they start to wear and make clunking noises and stuff.. let us know how it goes!
Old 07-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
EDacIouSX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
EDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to EDacIouSX Send a message via AIM to EDacIouSX Send a message via MSN to EDacIouSX Send a message via Yahoo to EDacIouSX
could be the upper mounts are not torqued down correctly. in other words, a nut could be loose on the upper mount so all you have to do is tighten it.
EDacIouSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:27 PM   #4
fdjkvc

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDacIouSX View Post
could be the upper mounts are not torqued down correctly. in other words, a nut could be loose on the upper mount so all you have to do is tighten it.
Are you talkin about the the two bolts on the top plate? Or the single bolt in the middle around the dampning adjustment? B/c i know the plate bolts are good but i didnt check the other one.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:50 AM   #5
Nacho_240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (36)
Nacho_240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjkvc View Post
Are you talkin about the the two bolts on the top plate? Or the single bolt in the middle around the dampning adjustment? B/c i know the plate bolts are good but i didnt check the other one.
I believe he means the nuts that are tightened through the trunk. I had this issue myself. I was installed a no-flex rear strut bar and could never get it on. I eventually gave up and forgot to tighten all the bolts for my rear suspension. It would make that knocking noise your referring to and it only did it on bumps. I tighten them back up and the noise went away.

I suggest you check both top and bottom mounting points.
Nacho_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:54 PM   #6
fdjkvc

UPDATE: User error, i was using the spring seat to adjust the height insted of the shock itself. HA. im an idiot i know, but that fixed it. Thanks for the replies though.