Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #31
old school
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
old school is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another cool fact you guys may not be aware of...rip apart a GTR engine...its essentially a 370Z motor re-engineered with Boost. Side by side, stripped down to block, heads, intake, etc....they are the same motor minus the plasma coating on the cylinder walls (GTR).
old school is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #32
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by old school View Post
Another cool fact you guys may not be aware of...rip apart a GTR engine...its essentially a 370Z motor re-engineered with Boost. Side by side, stripped down to block, heads, intake, etc....they are the same motor minus the plasma coating on the cylinder walls (GTR).
Yes, and a Volkswagen Rabbit's Inline 5 is half of a Lamborghini's V10!
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:08 PM   #33
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
umm... what he's saying is for the most part true. what you are saying is bullshit
get out of this awesome build thread
Old 05-05-2010, 03:45 PM   #34
old school
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
umm... what he's saying is for the most part true. what you are saying is bullshit

Sharif at Forged broke down a new 370z when they came out and posted pics with difference noted from the vq35. Then I saw a barebone GTR block/heads at Hennessey...and their tech confirmed, they are the same....minus the GTR prep. When the GTRs get old, this will be a popular swap motor in Z33s n Z34s.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #35
Omarius Maximus
Zilvia Junkie

Omarius Maximus is a glorious beacon of lightOmarius Maximus is a glorious beacon of lightOmarius Maximus is a glorious beacon of lightOmarius Maximus is a glorious beacon of lightOmarius Maximus is a glorious beacon of lightOmarius Maximus is a glorious beacon of lightOmarius Maximus is a glorious beacon of lightOmarius Maximus is a glorious beacon of lightOmarius Maximus is a glorious beacon of lightOmarius Maximus is a glorious beacon of lightOmarius Maximus is a glorious beacon of light
Nice build; congrats. Personally, I would have just bought a 300zx. You can do that power on a stock block, just put larger turbos on the stock manifolds.
Omarius Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:02 PM   #36
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I am just interested to know why the torque starts dropping off so early....

I really don't know much about these motors/setups, but what caught my eye was:

HOLY SHIT 500 ft-lbs of torque at 4000 RPM!!!!!!!!

But then why is is down to 400 ft-lbs already by 6500????

Is there anything that can be done to keep the torque curve from starting to fall as earlier as it currently is?

Nonetheless, 400 ft-lbs at the wheels at 6500 RPM is still insane!!!!!!!!!

Daily driven
jspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #37
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
Nice job, car looks pretty good. i agree could use a "little" something. but the power more then makes up for it.

do you have any track times/videos of the car back when it was on bolt-on's and nitrous?
Old 05-05-2010, 05:41 PM   #38
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
What I just said was just as true.

Obviously a manufacturer is going to share parts and try to utilize as much as it can from high-development cost parts like Heads, Blocks et al.

Did you know the 370Z also shares a chassis with the G37 which is also a Skyline in Japan!?! ZOMFG!
Old 05-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #39
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
Quote:

Obviously a manufacturer is going to share parts and try to utilize as much as it can from high-development cost parts like Heads, Blocks et al.

Did you know the 370Z also shares a chassis with the G37 which is also a Skyline in Japan!?! ZOMFG!
OMFG! I DIDN'T KNOW THAT!!! THATS FUCKING INCREDIBLE! WHO KNEW 1 MANUFACTURE WOULD MAKE MULTIPLE CARS OUT OF THE SAME PLATFORM!

ohh noo look at me.. i got egg on my face

there is a huge difference between an iron block 5cyl and aluminum v10
Old 05-06-2010, 11:56 AM   #40
old school
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicktitty View Post
Nice job, car looks pretty good. i agree could use a "little" something. but the power more then makes up for it.

do you have any track times/videos of the car back when it was on bolt-on's and nitrous?
I do somewhere, but I have no idea what I did with the thumb drive. Its been 4 years. lol

Quote:

Almost. Wheel base is longer in the G. Always has been. They hold the same engine/tranny (2wd) as the G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspaeth View Post
I am just interested to know why the torque starts dropping off so early....

I really don't know much about these motors/setups, but what caught my eye was:

HOLY SHIT 500 ft-lbs of torque at 4000 RPM!!!!!!!!

But then why is is down to 400 ft-lbs already by 6500????

Is there anything that can be done to keep the torque curve from starting to fall as earlier as it currently is?

Nonetheless, 400 ft-lbs at the wheels at 6500 RPM is still insane!!!!!!!!!
the curve is dictated by the turbos. If I want the torque to keep rising, I will need bigger turbos. These turbos are good to 650-700 just on boost. Bigger turbos also means the power band will shift further down the line...so you wait longer for boost. I get full boost at 2700rpms...I don't even feel lag. ANd I use this car for road racing / time attack more than anything else...so I need that midrange. Never feels like the torque drops off...cuz hp keeps on coming.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #41
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Quote:

mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #42
HemiCharger
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
HemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
who really gives a bleep? I mean what happens to a twin turbo z or any other 350z car when it meets a 400 hp SR'd 240. They get their asses handed to them like anything else. I came across

350z = killed it was not funny
370z= killed it was not funny

350z+ twin turbos? anybody know?

Last edited by HemiCharger; 05-06-2010 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: fify
HemiCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #43
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiCharger View Post
blah blah me & my SR are super special
Unless you have something constructive to add beyond some crowing about your ZOMG 400HP SR20DET, see your way out of the thread.
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #44
boobs13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
boobs13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
nice work and really clean z

FOR SALE: DOHC maf, KA down pipe and SR A/C pump like new pm me for price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DALAZ_68 View Post
cars are like beer, they all do the same thing, and we each prefer our own flavor...
boobs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #45
old school
Leaky Injector

puahahaha @ mrmephistopheles
Old 05-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #46
HemiCharger
Zilvia Member

HemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmephistopheles View Post
Unless you have something constructive to add beyond some crowing about your ZOMG 400HP SR20DET, see your way out of the thread.
I am an sr20det fanboi for sure. My bad I should have added you have a nice car and good job. Have any quarter mile time slips?
Old 05-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #47
old school
Leaky Injector

Quote:
I am an sr20det fanboi for sure. My bad I should have added you have a nice car and good job. Have any quarter mile time slips?
and I should have added BIYM
Old 05-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #48
HemiCharger
Zilvia Member

Quote:
and I should have added BIYM
again, how fast is your car? post some time slips? or do you not have any?

instead insulting someone why not just show us how fast your uber hawt 350 is?
Old 05-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #49
old school
Leaky Injector

Quote:
again, how fast is your car? post some time slips? or do you not have any?

instead insulting someone why not just show us how fast your uber hawt 350 is?
answer with a smart ass comment, get a smart ass response.

check out the first post...there is a video of me at MSR Houston. That's a road racing track...just making sure you know...you 1/4 mile guys only think there's only one kind of track. The only folks I know that ask for 1/4 mile time slips to measure how fast a car is, are kids. I own a pair of drag radials, street tires, and race rubber...I think I track the car buddy. As a matter of fact, this car has 34k miles on it now...I only put 800 miles on her last year. The only time this car sees the street is when its going to the track. and no, you can't see my timeslips...move along.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #50
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
who really gives a bleep? I mean what happens to a twin turbo z or any other 350z car when it meets a 400 hp SR'd 240. They get their asses handed to them like anything else. I came across

350z = killed it was not funny
370z= killed it was not funny

350z+ twin turbos? anybody know?
Yeah man, cause your car pulls three lengths on Hayabusas, or was that 750 Triumps or maybe was it a 600cc CBR? Maybe it was just the neighbor kid on his big wheel?

Old 05-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #51
HemiCharger
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Yeah man, cause your car pulls three lengths on Hayabusas, or was that 750 Triumps or maybe was it a 600cc CBR? Maybe it was just the neighbor kid on his big wheel?

no smart ass. that was a triumph daytona and a gsxr600. This is not about my car though although somehow it became that way. I just want to know how fast the twin turbo z car is although he says he does not run quarter mile times?

Dude you have a nice car and it is great that you only put 800 miles a year on it but I am sure a lot of people here want to know what Nissan should have done to the 350 from the factory? How much time did you improve on over a stock 350? If you just say hey I did this more for show than go then probably everyone in this thread could understand that.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:06 PM   #52
sincity_sil80
Zilvia Junkie

sincity_sil80 is an unknown quantity at this point
nice car.. its good to see a z. a little change of pace.

20 till 3:00 =
sincity_sil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #53
HemiCharger
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincity_sil80 View Post
nice car.. its good to see a z. a little change of pace.
true cause this is zilvia home to

200 = 300-360 hp 240s
100 = 400 hp 240s
50 = 500 hp 240s

90 percent with sr20s in them. I wonder if Nissan knows we exist?

That is a quality ride and congrats on only driving like 800 miles a year. Hell I have put 60,000 miles on my sr in the 2 years since I have owned it. Knock on wood it has not blown up yet.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:10 AM   #54
old school
Leaky Injector

Quote:
That is a quality ride and congrats on only driving like 800 miles a year. Hell I have put 60,000 miles on my sr in the 2 years since I have owned it. Knock on wood it has not blown up yet.
Thanks...the advantages of having more than one car.

If you want to see my timeslips...go to the track. I haven't posted one online in years...for the same reasons I choose to remain stock-looking. Didn't think I'd have to spell it out, but there you go. I don't post current dynos either. Only past dynos
Old 05-07-2010, 06:55 AM   #55
HemiCharger
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Thanks...the advantages of having more than one car.

If you want to see my timeslips...go to the track. I haven't posted one online in years...for the same reasons I choose to remain stock-looking. Didn't think I'd have to spell it out, but there you go. I don't post current dynos either. Only past dynos

I have 2 cars as well but live in Arkansas and travel a lot due to my job. Use to have that Hemi Charger in my sig, now I own an A4 Audi 2.0 t
Old 05-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #56
old school
Leaky Injector

Quote:
I have 2 cars as well but live in Arkansas and travel a lot due to my job. Use to have that Hemi Charger in my sig, now I own an A4 Audi 2.0 t
had a 06 A4 2.0T..traded it for a 08 BMW 328i. I usually drive my suburban everywhere though. 161k miles on the big slab and counting. I love driving something I don't really dont care about...shopping carts hit the burb..."oh well". lol.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #57
HemiCharger
Zilvia Member

Quote:
had a 06 A4 2.0T..traded it for a 08 BMW 328i. I usually drive my suburban everywhere though. 161k miles on the big slab and counting. I love driving something I don't really dont care about...shopping carts hit the burb..."oh well". lol.
No doubt. I am having the bumper repainted on the 240 but Texas isn't any different than Arkansas -- You would be surprised at the shit that travels up and down our interstates. Concrete trucks, dump trucks with sand so everyone's car/ truck gets a good 80 mph sand blasting job. It sucks.

I guess I might could do what you do with not driving a car very much but then I like to enjoy my stuff. I am looking for a 70 or 71 Chevelle SS right now but will end up getting a clone 396 for less than 15 grand the matching numbers 30-40 grand cars are not my style. I like to drive my rides.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #58
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Pics or STFU. I suspect you are just a 16 y/o troll from most of your posts.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:30 PM   #59
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
iamtheyi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
+1 for a super nice Z :]. read the thread not thinking it was anything but was mad impressed by the work you did
iamtheyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #60
Scott@TheNismoShop

Scott@TheNismoShop is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow!

This is an amazing car with just my style! Keep us posted and great work!
Scott@TheNismoShop is offline   Reply With Quote