Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-06-2009, 03:43 AM   #1
wiggafly808
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
wiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Almost overheating problem? Temp goes up and down.. Please help!

Hi everyone,
i have a 1990 rb20det coupe which recently started giving me some issues.
I was driving it around fine for about 3 months, drove it from OR to WA then let it sit for 3 months (went home for summer) then started driving it again up in WA(worked fine).

Upgraded my SMIC to a small FMIC.

On the drive back down from WA to OR, after about an hour of driving, i noticed my temp going up.. I pull over at mcdonalds, let it cool a little, and check my coolant level (fine).
I resume driving again, but in the side lane in case i have to pull over, but the temp never gets close to the first H dot, so i just baby it along (roll down my windows, heater on full blast, no boost).
This is the dot im talking about because i know the clusters are different

The temp started to go back down to normal, then after about 30 minutes, went back up near hot. This continued (with the temp getting pretty close to the first H dot at some points) for the rest of the 4 hour drive, but never actually hit the first H dot, so i never pulled over.

The car seems to drive fine now, temp doesnt go up on my drives (although they are only short ones (<20 min).

However, i have an 8 hour round trip to make this weekend.

I did put in an extra puller electric fan (previously only had a pusher fan) which i think should take care of it temporarily, but i am wondering if it could be my thermostat or something else going.
I dont think it is leaking coolant, and i suspected that because i changed from a SMIC to a FMIC, that may have blocked a lot of the cooling for the radiator.

I will eventually upgrade to a better radiator and probably dual fans, but any suggestions to what else it could be?
Thermostat, water pump? etc..

Thanks in advance for the help,
Zac
wiggafly808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2009, 05:40 AM   #2
NINJASPY
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
NINJASPY is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
1 electric fan? and stock radiator? and fmic blocking the radiator? and turbo to heat up the engine bay? let me guess you are running open filter in the engine bay and no heat shields also.

you need more cooling, you are making more heat and moving less air than the radiator can cool. buy/change- fans, fan shroud, bigger radiator, hood spacer etc,/bumper vents/ducts/scoops, heat shields, and better gauges. stock gauges are known to be inaccurate.
NINJASPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
wiggafly808
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
wiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJASPY View Post
1 electric fan? and stock radiator? and fmic blocking the radiator? and turbo to heat up the engine bay? let me guess you are running open filter in the engine bay and no heat shields also.

you need more cooling, you are making more heat and moving less air than the radiator can cool. buy/change- fans, fan shroud, bigger radiator, hood spacer etc,/bumper vents/ducts/scoops, heat shields, and better gauges. stock gauges are known to be inaccurate.
I do have a vertex bumper and hood spacers.. Guess its time to shell out some money for a radiator/fans.

Thanks for the input
wiggafly808 is offline   Reply With Quote