Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-28-2012, 02:12 AM   #391
Jonathong
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (16)
Jonathong is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Any s14 guys make/have a custom box? I want to make one to fit on the left or right side of the trunk so I wont lose any trunk space.

something like this, but would like more pics or details if you have some.
Jonathong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2012, 03:08 AM   #392
PANDAemic
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
PANDAemic is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
In need of advice. I just installed a head unit (Kenwood KDC-248U) and just figured out that out of the 4 speakers in my S13 hatch, only one works. I bought the car and the original owner told me all the speakers worked so I took his word, it already had a head unit but the faceplate was missing. So I was just wondering what speakers would be the best on a budget. I don't mind driving with only one speaker but it gets annoying. I know the door speakers can be modded to hold bigger speakers and the rears can only hold a specific size (I don't remember the sizes). I was planning on buying a set of 4 JVC speakers and getting them installed at a shop for $150 +tax. I don't know if this is a good deal or not. I don't care about quality or bass, I just want to listen to my music...

Also my driverside door is missing the exterior weather stripping, will this cause a problem?
I know this is the wrong thread but can I just go to auto zone/o'reilly's and get some aftermarket glue-on weather stripping?
PANDAemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:26 AM   #393
joemon
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
joemon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
My 240sx had factory amplifier with infinity speakers and the amp needs to be connected to the remote "turn-on" lead wires need to be connected on the remote lead to the deck.

And also check your factory amp speaker wires and insure they are connected.
joemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:34 AM   #394
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAemic View Post
In need of advice. I just installed a head unit (Kenwood KDC-248U) and just figured out that out of the 4 speakers in my S13 hatch, only one works. I bought the car and the original owner told me all the speakers worked so I took his word, it already had a head unit but the faceplate was missing. So I was just wondering what speakers would be the best on a budget. I don't mind driving with only one speaker but it gets annoying. I know the door speakers can be modded to hold bigger speakers and the rears can only hold a specific size (I don't remember the sizes). I was planning on buying a set of 4 JVC speakers and getting them installed at a shop for $150 +tax. I don't know if this is a good deal or not. I don't care about quality or bass, I just want to listen to my music...

Also my driverside door is missing the exterior weather stripping, will this cause a problem?
I know this is the wrong thread but can I just go to auto zone/o'reilly's and get some aftermarket glue-on weather stripping?
Have you double checked the wiring on the head unit and the wiring/connectors for the speakers? If you haven't, I suggest you do. Could save you a bit.

No clue on the weather stripping, but I'm sure replacements are cheap.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:38 AM   #395
PANDAemic
Zilvia Member

PANDAemic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamN View Post
Have you double checked the wiring on the head unit and the wiring/connectors for the speakers? If you haven't, I suggest you do. Could save you a bit.

No clue on the weather stripping, but I'm sure replacements are cheap.
Yea, I'm not too good with these things so I had it checked out professionally. I don't trust myself with wires even though everybody says its pretty easy.

Better safe than sorry.
PANDAemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:18 AM   #396
joemon
Zilvia Junkie

Front stage:
6.5 Kenwood 3way in kick panels and 6.5 hifonics and tweeters on mb quart crossovers.
Rear stage:
At the moment none
Front/rear stage power:
2011 mb quart onix 150.4 amp (load at 240watts@2ohms rms)
Sub stage:
2 DC Audio 12 lvl4 in old flush mount sealed box
Sub power:
Hifonics bxi2606 (2600watts@1ohm rms)
Electrical:
All 0awg power/ground 2 c&d 88ah batterys in the rear seat with stock batt and alt under the hood.
Sound source:
Flip out Kenwood kvt512 in-dash and older Kenwood digital eq and pac rca level control.

Lowest voltage drop was 13.3 volts

Everything is still under construction.

I need to make my own ported box and gut the rear of car, install high output alternator, and take front battery out from hood and rewire to rear.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #397
KTMrida4life

Trader Rating: (0)
KTMrida4life is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
^^ This guy knows whats up. Those subs are LOUD. lol

In my S14.. Im running

JVC AHD 69 headunit
Polk DB6501 comps up front in stock locations (changing soon)
No rears (unnecessary)
Speaker amp for polks is a Kenwood KAC 8405, again, this is changing soon to a Sundown 100.4
Sub amp is a Sundown SAZ 3000d (MAD power, underrated)
Currently for subs I have 3 SA 8" (sundown audio) in a 2cuft box tuned to 33hz
Running a few extra C&D batts in my trunk on a stock alt, soon to be a nissan quest alt to help with voltage drop

It is loud.. had it metered on a termlab, sealed up I did a 138db at 41hz. My peak is much lower than most people.

After my car gets back from the body shop, Im upgrading. Going to switch to either HAT, Focal, CDT, or Massive Audio comps up front, maybe a new headunit with time alignment, and Im upgrading my sub stage to either 2 beastly 12s or 4 10" subs. Box will have to be built inside the trunk and will not be removable.

Get on my level , Trunk Flex - YouTube
KTMrida4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #398
Zilmatic
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Zilmatic is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

nothing special
Zilmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #399
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMrida4life View Post
It is loud.. had it metered on a termlab, sealed up I did a 138db at 41hz. My peak is much lower than most people.
That's ridiculously loud/low for a sealed box at that volume... really interesting what a little too much volume will do with those 8's. Did you model it in software first? I don't have T/S parameters for the Sundown 8's otherwise I would out of curiosity, just to see how the response is up top, I'm guessing you have a mid-bass hole at about 200hz where your fronts don't pick up?

If you feel like digging through my earlier posts from a few years ago, I had great luck with my CDT front stage, which now lives in my Duramax truck. Just make sure to get the upgraded (Satnet 560) crossover if you do go CDT.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #400
KTMrida4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
That's ridiculously loud/low for a sealed box at that volume... really interesting what a little too much volume will do with those 8's. Did you model it in software first? I don't have T/S parameters for the Sundown 8's otherwise I would out of curiosity, just to see how the response is up top, I'm guessing you have a mid-bass hole at about 200hz where your fronts don't pick up?

If you feel like digging through my earlier posts from a few years ago, I had great luck with my CDT front stage, which now lives in my Duramax truck. Just make sure to get the upgraded (Satnet 560) crossover if you do go CDT.
Yeah when I was getting it metered, alot of people were doing higher scores, but they were at higher freqs with bigger subs... around 50hz.

I didnt design the box, I had a guy design it for me and then I built it. Yes, he more than likely did model it in software first, but Im not sure on that. He knows his stuff.

RAM Designs - Home

I'll look into the CDTs, do you know how much a pair of them goes for new/used? What model speakers am I looking for? My polks are a bit too bright, the mids sound terrible listening to rock, midbass is worse than stock, and the whole set (mids/tweets) distorts at higher volume even with 125W RMS going to them... which is 25% over their rated.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #401
KTMrida4life

Im going bigger soon.. gonna try to squeeze 4 10s in there with around the same tuning but using aero ports. Subs will be facing rear of car with (2) 4" or 6" aeroports to the side.

Right now Im having troubles with the car rattling to pieces. I filled my trunk lid today with great foam, and its for sure much sturdier than it was.. but it didnt help the rattles at all. Its really hard to identify what is rattling and then how to go about fixing it..
Old 02-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #402
joemon
Zilvia Junkie

Ya these dc lvl4 are loud but this little sealed box I have does no justices for these monsters.
I'm wanting to go ported at 34hz or so with these subs but I'm having a hard time using a software to design this box I'm hoping for.
But today imma do a video of what I got so far.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #403
rightcoastimports
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
rightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
EDIT: answered my own question

Last edited by rightcoastimports; 03-01-2012 at 04:02 PM..
rightcoastimports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #404
hellion240sx
Zilvia FREAK!

hellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathong View Post
Any s14 guys make/have a custom box? I want to make one to fit on the left or right side of the trunk so I wont lose any trunk space.

something like this, but would like more pics or details if you have some.
i would like more info as well. thanks
Old 03-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #405
joemon
Zilvia Junkie

Was going to do a video that day but my amp finally gave out.
Go I'm looking for the new brz2400 hifonics to replace my old one.
So if any1 has one laying around let me know.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #406
Jus Skott
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Jus Skott can only hope to improveJus Skott can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jus Skott
just simple shit in my bucket.
some craptastic pioneer 4x6's and then this garbola.

2 old 10" JBL's with a punch 75 pushing.

and an old model kenwood

2 LED's are for fan and fog light switches.

Looking for yard parts, PM me.
Jus Skott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #407
Conrad 2NR
Zilvia Member

Conrad 2NR is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad 2NR View Post
Uuuugh... I think when the time comes I'll look into a sq oriented head unit and some good quality components (DLS?) for my doors which would get some sound deadening.

If I still feel the need after I'll fill in the rear with a 10" IDQ or IDMAX in a sealed box and suitable amp.
So I ended up cheaping out (what's new, lol) and got a system after some research that still sounds decent.

After giving it thought, I wanted something that sound nice but didn't want to resort to plastering my car with sound deadening to fully appreciate an expensive set of comps.

DEH-1100 (very old head-unit that was lying around the house and surprised me how well it plays) which would be replaced with something that has decent processing capabilities, higher output and the ability to use a flash drive as I'm already tired of having eleventybillion CDs in my glove.
Powerbass 700.5x 5-channel Amplifier
A pair of Powerbass S-6C components
Image Dynamics ID12 V3 that came together with a ported enclosure for a good deal, I still hope to replace with a IDQ12.

The setup sounds decent, surprisingly clean and it drowns out the sound of my Buddy Club Spec 2 from the driver's seat so I'm fairly happy.

How did people feed aftermarket wire through the stock rubber gromets in the doors/A-pillar? I have 14 awg going to each crossover for the comps in the doors.

Also, where did most install the crossover for their component setups?

This is for a 180SX/S13 btw.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #408
z32boy
Leaky Injector

z32boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Right now I have a Pioneer double din touch screen head unit, MB quart 4 channel amp, rockford 6x9 in rear deck, Kenwood 6 1/2 in the doors.
z32boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #409
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
I love this thread. Read thru everything I think but I had a simple question for my future setup.

I am looking to purchase a good set of speakers for the doors and for the rear, what would you "sound system" experts recommend? I dont mind running an amp but I am not looking to setup a box/enclosure in the trunk. I want a simple yet efficient setup.....again no show winning sound system just something to enjoy the music during the drive to work.

FYI this is going into an S14 with an Alpine Double Din unit that will be installed this fall and need a speaker system that will create great quality sound and has enough power to overshadow the rumble of my Apexi GT Spec exhaust.

Thanks in advance guys.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #410
eliasdrod

eliasdrod is an unknown quantity at this point
i have polk audios mm6501 and they sound dope especially hooked up to an amp... but my took a crap on me
eliasdrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #411
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchboost View Post
I love this thread. Read thru everything I think but I had a simple question for my future setup.

I am looking to purchase a good set of speakers for the doors and for the rear, what would you "sound system" experts recommend? I dont mind running an amp but I am not looking to setup a box/enclosure in the trunk. I want a simple yet efficient setup.....again no show winning sound system just something to enjoy the music during the drive to work.

FYI this is going into an S14 with an Alpine Double Din unit that will be installed this fall and need a speaker system that will create great quality sound and has enough power to overshadow the rumble of my Apexi GT Spec exhaust.

Thanks in advance guys.
If you are willing to spend at least $149 shipped on a set of speakers, then look no further than Hybrid Audio Mirius series. If you are willing to spend $269 shipped for a set of speakers then I would do their Imagine series... at least up front anyway. You could still do the Mirius in the rear to save some money. I would HIGHLY recommend an amplifier though, especially with the Imagine series. The power in the Alpine is only 18 watts per channel... so not very much. As for 4-channel amps I would suggest the ARC Audio XDi804. It is 80 watts per channel in a really small chassis. The construction, materials used etc. are usually only found on amplifiers twice the price. It's a hell of an amp for the money. I have installed/sold dozens of them in the last year and am impressed every time I tune one. That amplifier runs $249 shipped. If you are wondering how good Hybrid speakers are, consider this:

"Hybrid Audio-equipped vehicles have won more IASCA® North American Championships and IASCA® World Championships since 2006 than all other front-stage speaker manufacturers combined."

The company wasn't even in business until 2005. So they started winning at the highest level right out the gate. Please refer to their website for a slew of information or please ask me if you have any questions on Hybrid, ARC or any other product I carry.

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #412
KendallH
Zilvia Addict

KendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choices
Wow, broadfield hit the nail on the head with that one. I was looking for something very similar to 2muchboost and that looks like a sweet affordable setup.
KendallH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #413
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
If you are willing to spend at least $149 shipped on a set of speakers, then look no further than Hybrid Audio Mirius series. If you are willing to spend $269 shipped for a set of speakers then I would do their Imagine series... at least up front anyway. You could still do the Mirius in the rear to save some money. I would HIGHLY recommend an amplifier though, especially with the Imagine series. The power in the Alpine is only 18 watts per channel... so not very much. As for 4-channel amps I would suggest the ARC Audio XDi804. It is 80 watts per channel in a really small chassis. The construction, materials used etc. are usually only found on amplifiers twice the price. It's a hell of an amp for the money. I have installed/sold dozens of them in the last year and am impressed every time I tune one. That amplifier runs $249 shipped. If you are wondering how good Hybrid speakers are, consider this:

"Hybrid Audio-equipped vehicles have won more IASCA® North American Championships and IASCA® World Championships since 2006 than all other front-stage speaker manufacturers combined."

The company wasn't even in business until 2005. So they started winning at the highest level right out the gate. Please refer to their website for a slew of information or please ask me if you have any questions on Hybrid, ARC or any other product I carry.
I agree 110%, Hybrid's stuff is very good, and Toby prices it so low it's dumb. The ARC XDi stuff (and KS Mini when the XDi is too big) fits just about anywhere and sounds fantastic. You have to spend a lot more money to get any better.

I hope you have a decent Alpine head unit (high-volt preamp outs is a good sign), the best amp and components in the world won't have the range or the punch without a decent source.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #414
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Broadfield Thank you sir. I looked up the information on the speakers and I am looking forward to getting a pair within 2-3 weeks. That was exactly what I was looking for and I dont mind dishing out a few extra sheckles to get great quality sound. Funny thing is I dont listen to music very loud but I have no choice with the rumble the 3.5in GT Spec makes haha.

I havent decided on which double din unit to get but thats the next purchase after the speakers.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #415
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchboost View Post
Broadfield Thank you sir. I looked up the information on the speakers and I am looking forward to getting a pair within 2-3 weeks. That was exactly what I was looking for and I dont mind dishing out a few extra sheckles to get great quality sound. Funny thing is I dont listen to music very loud but I have no choice with the rumble the 3.5in GT Spec makes haha.

I havent decided on which double din unit to get but thats the next purchase after the speakers.
Cool, just let me know on the double DIN... I carry Alpine and now also carry JVC.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 06-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #416
the_boss
Zilvia Member

the_boss is an unknown quantity at this point
If you focus, you can see the speaker pulsate,

30 Herz to your chest to increase your pulse rate.
the_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #417
Jonathong
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (16)
Jonathong is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I'm looking for a set of tweeters, what do y'all recommend and what is the best bang for my buck? also any pics people who mounted tweeters in their s14? any pic will be greatly appreciated thanks in advance!
Jonathong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #418
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathong View Post
I'm looking for a set of tweeters, what do y'all recommend and what is the best bang for my buck? also any pics people who mounted tweeters in their s14? any pic will be greatly appreciated thanks in advance!
Do your speakers not have tweeters on them or something?

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 09-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #419
new2sr20
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (11)
new2sr20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Dynamat on both doors, both panels, rear deck, stuffed foam in all the openings around the strut tower. MB Quart 6.5 components w crossovers on all 4 corners. Still locking oem se cd player. About to upgrade to double din kenwood ddx 512.
new2sr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #420
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sr20 View Post
About to upgrade to double din kenwood ddx 512.
That thing is 4 years old, I hope you are getting it for mega cheap!?!

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds