Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Polls

Polls Post All Polls in Here.

View Poll Results: RB or SR in 240sx?
RB 94 42.15%
SR 129 57.85%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 11:08 PM   #61
TheSnail
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
TheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I went from KA to SR to rb20 to rb26. They are all fine. Stop bitchin about things you you havent driven, and buy the shit and you will be happy. If you have only 2k and a stock 240, then you have a long ways ahead of you before doing any swap or turboing the ka. There are quite a few gay responces on this thread that should be ignored.
-Snail
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2004, 04:54 AM   #62
Bluewind
Zilvia Member

Bluewind is on a distinguished road
This thread is quite depressing after reading the whole thing. I'm still sticking to the SR. The SR, being that I have modded my car's suspension, learned to drift off my KA, and am now ready for a new and more powerful engine. Some people speak of power, alright, well the RB is too heavy if you wanna stick to the drift scene. Why don't you consider something else? "What?" You might ask? Try the 20b Cosmos. Despite the price, reliability, and competency of the owner, a well built 20b can leave any RB/SR in it's path. Light, powerful, and limitless.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:26 PM   #63
AAA240SX
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
AAA240SX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Gas prices suck!!!

Slogan: "SR20DET FOR ME"
Old 08-07-2004, 02:21 AM   #64
wootwoot
Post Whore!

wootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to wootwoot
personal engine choice is ca18det, the mini rb.
i have an sr though, it happend to fall into my hands so i couldnt say no. if i wasnt going to get a ca, the next choice was a ka. i know they are 2 tottally different engines but i like both the styles a lot.
Old 08-07-2004, 04:01 PM   #65
RedlineRacer
Zilvia FREAK!

RedlineRacer is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to RedlineRacer Send a message via AIM to RedlineRacer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chernobyl
Can't wait to see this LT-1 in a 240... definitely post pics when you're done.

Reverse-flow cooling and huge aftermarket, not a bad choice.

V8 is a more compact design than I6 also.

I like the way you think.
Ok, thats was some total contradiction. Earlier you said you would rather keep a NA KA than have a RB25 and be able to auto-x with the KA. Now you say you think the idea of a V8 is good. Umm...a rb25 would do much better as a track engine than a v8 would. You would only have about a 4k rpm band to play in. In a v8, unlike an rb25, you would have about 7k. And, a v8 would weigh a hella lot more than an rb25 would. not trying to flame man, but that last comment was really contraditory.

But, if I was to do a swap, I would go with the CA18 also. You can get them dirt cheap and you can get almost any part off a USDM pulsar to work for it. And it has just as much potential as a SR or RB would have.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:51 PM   #66
sepulchral
BANNED

sepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymore
a v8 in a 240 is the ugliest thing in the world- ive seen it. not to mention i raced one and they are soooo fucking slow, this coming froma guy with a sr20 stock turbo on 13lbs racing a s13 with lt1 racing cam and all bolt ons, quaif lsd and 10 inch wide rears.

and if i were to drift not race id go ka but if i plan on making it in the big league might as well do what everyones doin and perform a sr/rb/ca swap or turbo the ka.

plus a turbo 240 is so fun to drive
Old 09-18-2004, 02:24 PM   #67
SimpleSexy180
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
SimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
guys... PUT WHAT BELONGS ON/IN THE CAR
Old 09-18-2004, 09:15 PM   #68
Marty
Zilvia Member

Marty is an unknown quantity at this point
id say go with the cheapest solution, ka-t
Old 10-15-2004, 09:35 PM   #69
SR_TeXaN
Leaky Injector

SR_TeXaN is an unknown quantity at this point
This Thread should = *CLOSED*

Old 11-10-2004, 05:29 PM   #70
sLiDewAys
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
sLiDewAys is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
NEITHER! ca18. HAHAHHA... but if i had to pick id say sr. FUCK KA. krappy truck motor
Old 11-11-2004, 12:09 AM   #71
elevator
Zilvia Addict

elevator is an unknown quantity at this point
This question is much too vague. Are you talking RB20, RB25, or RB26? I would NEVER waste my time with an RB20. It is much too freaking big and has virtually the same displacement as the SR20. Why put such a huge thing in such a little car when you can get the same bang out of an SR? The RB@% or 26 both are a different matter. They might be worth the time and effort.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:10 AM   #72
revat619
Retired General

Trader Rating: (7)
revat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Each engine has its pros and cons. Do what you want for your goals.

I for one will be going with an rb25.
Instagram: @rjsladerade
Old 11-16-2004, 10:46 PM   #73
jy116
Zilvia Addict

jy116 is making a name for him/her selfjy116 is making a name for him/her self
damn... i just wasted my time reading all this. Hhaha... u can't tell if ppl are talking outta there pants or if they really know... no offesnse, but thats what I got from it all. Post pics/links to back up the claims, or sumthing...

Another thing, more weight in front induces UNDERsteer, not oversteer.

As far as my response to the thread topic, I talked to Frank [worked on SRs a lot, til they blow] at Racetune [NorCal] and he said the RB has more potential then the SR. Apparently the SR is designed to pretty close to its full potential, whereas the RB20 still has more potential to build upon [in regards to improvement per upgrade/dollar spent]. It's obvious that anything can have crazy power if u thro enough money at it. Im thinking its due to the iron block [RB] vs aluminum [SR]... is that right?
Old 11-16-2004, 11:04 PM   #74
elevator
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jy116
As far as my response to the thread topic, I talked to Frank [worked on SRs a lot, til they blow] at Racetune [NorCal] and he said the RB has more potential then the SR. Apparently the SR is designed to pretty close to its full potential,
NOT true! The SR has PLENTY of potential. On a car as light as an S13...more than 350 hp is like putting a gallon of water in an 8 ounce glass. It is pretty much wasted.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:15 PM   #75
jy116
Zilvia Addict

jy116 is making a name for him/her selfjy116 is making a name for him/her self
yeh, i gues he was talking about making insane power >:] ...

Im just researching cuz when I get a second car, I want to have a track whore s13, and kill some v8s ... on the straights too! Still wondering about the RB weight difference as compared to the KA... especially since even SR s13s are notorious for understeer.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:22 AM   #76
elevator
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jy116
... especially since even SR s13s are notorious for understeer.
THAT is nonsense too. The S13 is MEANT to have an SR20 in it. Understeer? Have good suspension...practice...understeer is a hell of a lot less an issue with an SR than an RB!!
Old 11-17-2004, 12:43 AM   #77
SR240DET
Zilvia FREAK!

SR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to SR240DET
if you really have to ask what one you should get.. i would say you should get neither one.... because you obviously arent ready....
Old 01-07-2005, 03:35 PM   #78
Var
Post Whore!

Var is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Var
The SR is a beautiful motor when built right. If you have it revving to 8k rpm with the right size turbo and cams, the motor is in heaven. Just have the proper cooling and oil supply.

Sr's dont cause understeer. The way the 240 is built it's just how it is. To counter it, you'd either have to run retarded alignment angles, or have wider track in the front or equal spring rates front and rear for rotation with slightly staggered tires to increase rear tire grip.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:01 PM   #79
86LXItooFAST4me

86LXItooFAST4me is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 86LXItooFAST4me
but wouldnt it be better to have an engine that would easily handle 350rwhp (rb26) than to put that amount of stress on a sr20?
Old 02-11-2005, 03:05 PM   #80
nismo2491
Zilvia FREAK!

nismo2491 is making a name for him/her selfnismo2491 is making a name for him/her self
I say neither, do a ka24det but since I must vote for one or the other and there's no write ins I said rb
Old 02-11-2005, 10:07 PM   #81
mr_240sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
mr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mr_240sx Send a message via MSN to mr_240sx
im an sr man!!!
Old 02-25-2005, 02:20 AM   #82
drewtoes
Leaky Injector

drewtoes is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to drewtoes
i would prefer the sr i figure too much power i wouldnt know what to do with it...plus i heard it would throw off the whole drifting thing. im happy with the sr
Old 03-29-2005, 04:48 AM   #83
MoK
BANNED

MoK is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MoK
mmmmm...... Skyline GT-R Z-tune
Old 03-29-2005, 04:40 PM   #84
MakotoS13
BANNED

MakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to MakotoS13
EFF JDM. keep what came in the car. there isn't any reason to not just turbo the Existing motor espeically with the advent of PHAT KA-T's beast and the new AEM computer. i'm goin sohc KAT because 300whp is easily attainable from it and if i blow it up i can get another one for dirt cheap.

Quote:
Or just someone else who will never have anything other than a KA, and therefore will bash what they don't/can't have.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:18 PM   #85
420sx
Post Whore!

420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future
id say it all depends on funds/goal. and i do love the way sr feels compared to ka-t. i probably will own both.

how about an lt1? hahah
Old 03-29-2005, 11:31 PM   #86
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

infinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond repute
either or dont really care... i have 2 ka's all i have all im gonna use... when i get done building this KA, race it and blow it up i have another sitting to replace it... =)
Old 03-31-2005, 11:30 AM   #87
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
having driven a lot of SR cars . I do actually love the way the SR runs as a engine. I do miss the bottom end torque but if you put in a S14sr you will reclaim that lost torque. So I can say as far as engines go I much prefer the way a SR runs to a KA. I do not hate the KA. The RB25 to me is a engine with great potential. As for the naysayers who are making claims about excessive weight issues and understeer with the RB I have one question. Have you ever driven a RB powered car? I love how people come on this forum and argue which engine is better based on their opinions with no real world experience . Its as bad as the Inline 6 crowd hating the V6's just because their a fucking V motor and not a inline.
The RB 25 weight wise is pretty much comparable to the KA if only around 150lbs heavier.
Now most of you may think thats a lot but the thing of it is part of that is the transmission and it actually winds up centering the weight farther back in the car than a SR or a KA resulting in a even closer to 50/50 weight balance. The socalled understeer and plow that most people voice in fear here is not that real. In fact when you add in the extra power and torque you pick up it negates a major part of that.
You think it won't work in drift car eh? Funny I wonder why slide squad mark installed a RB25 in a S13 coupe?
My partner in business has built RB powered cars and owns a RB25 powered track car (S14)that he put together over 6.5 years ago.
Fact is that is one of the most well balanced track s14's I have ever seen. Until you have done any of these things, or have first hand observation of one these setups, your opinion is your opinion and nothing more. I.E. not fact!!

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html

Last edited by drift freaq; 03-31-2005 at 08:50 PM..
Old 04-01-2005, 01:27 AM   #88
nick180sx

nick180sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by rps13 SR
2jz is better...
better based on what?

2JZ redline is 6800rpms
RB26dett redline is 8200rpms

2JZ pros:
- bigger injectors
- more displacement
- holds 900whp when properly tuned ( new shortblock needed though)

RB26DETT pros:
- revvier
- better head design
- better turbo setup ( gotta see the stock 2JZ turbo manifold setup)
- parallel turbos with ceramic wheels ( no lag )

How do I know? I have both...
And i love the RB26DETT
Old 04-01-2005, 01:36 AM   #89
nick180sx

nick180sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhatter
NOT true! The SR has PLENTY of potential. On a car as light as an S13...more than 350 hp is like putting a gallon of water in an 8 ounce glass. It is pretty much wasted.
Wasted?

Have you been in a 1700lb 230whp CRX? 1800lb 280whp Sentra GTiR? 1600lb 400whp Mitsubishi Colt? all with properly setup suspension?
They are all real fun

And by the way, a base s13 with and RB26 in it, and full tank of gas and battery in the trunk is right at 50/50, total wieght is right at 2800lbs.
The only problem that the most weight with a driver goes to the front left, so a RHD conversion will make for a perfectly balanced s13 GTR.
The key is a set of good coilovers. But whoever can afford a RB26DETT swap, should a afford a set of good coilovers
Old 05-29-2005, 12:52 AM   #90
Project D
Zilvia Member

Project D is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Project D
I like the Sr20 for sure over the RB. Not a big drag fan anymore, and an AWD eclipse with a built 4G63 would be my choice for a drag vehicle. Nissan for me is for the track capabilities of a nimble car, not an overweight slug with major power.
Closed Thread