Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
-LSD-

Trader Rating: (2)
-LSD- is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Need some help with suspension

Ok, well let me start with what i have...its an s13, with kts tension rods at 7.0 degrees, stock shock with some "green" "lowering" springs(they dont lower much), stock replaced inner and outer tie rods with PBM angle spacer. thats about it...

Ok so after i did an alignment i went out to drift a bit, coz it was wet, kinda test it...everything was fine, until i hit a full lock...thats when car start making loud grinding noises...i freaked out, but decided to go again, but be more careful, and of coarse i hit full lock again, and again this crazy noise...that when i figured enough is enough...went home, next day, after thinking about all this over night i decided to check if my wheels dont rub anywhere (btw its g35 18x8 +20 all around) so i turned wheels left and right and i didnt see it touching anything, checked it 3 times...nothing...but what i noticed is that my tie rod doesnt hit the control arm at full lock, there is still like ant inch of space, which is really weird, i dont think this is normal...thats when i completely got stuck, im wondering if any1 had the same problem...any thoughts or suggestions...

Also the other day...3 days ago i think, i parked my car on the street, which i dont do often, but garage spot was taken...i didnt feel right about it, but oh well, not much choice i have here...so i parked the car, everything seemed just fine...next day im getting in the car, starting the car, and as soon as im trying to make a U turn i felt something being wrong with a steering wheel...ok. That was weird, so i pulled over to check wtf...and what do i find...my inner tie rod on the driver side is broken...my right wheel is turning, but left one doesnt move. Of coarse i was pissed of, slowly drove the car in the garage, took all the shit apart to find out that all the threads are stripped...WOW really..how is that possible, i got lucky tho, they were only fucked up on the tie rod (completely rounded off), but steering rack was fine...fuuh, thats good i thought, i dont have to spent 300 bucks on a new rack...

So i was trying to figure out wtf happen...i understand that the spacer i have makes it 4-5 less threads, but its still plenty strong, and i dont blame spacer, i knew what i was doing when i put it on. So my only explanation is:
since my car was parked on the hill i turned the wheels all the way to the right,so my left wheel was sticking out. Since we always have problems with parking in my neighborhood some1 was trying to parallel park, got too close to my car and accidently hit the wheel and ripped of my tie rod. I didnt see any damage on the car, but my fender already kinda fucked up so its hard to see. I dont have any other explanation to what happen that night. Any one, any ideas?

Thank a lot if u were able to read thru all this and any help is much appreciated.
-LSD- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2011, 03:37 AM   #2
karl wasabi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
karl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to karl wasabi
That crazy noise that you are hearing at full lock is your tires rubbing against the top of your fenders. It won't touch when the car is parked since you don't have any body roll to compress the springs. And your tie rods shouldn't be touching the control arms at full lock.

I have no idea what's up with your tie rods being stripped out.
karl wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:05 AM   #3
-LSD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl wasabi View Post
That crazy noise that you are hearing at full lock is your tires rubbing against the top of your fenders. It won't touch when the car is parked since you don't have any body roll to compress the springs. And your tie rods shouldn't be touching the control arms at full lock.

I have no idea what's up with your tie rods being stripped out.
hmmhhmm...i gotta check that out...coz there is no evidence of any kinda rub on the tires...
ill probably ispect it some more.
thx for your reply
Old 07-23-2011, 04:19 AM   #4
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
word sux is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
if its rubbing the fenders you will see rub marks
word sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
rcdad123
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
rcdad123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
you might have stripped the tie rod by turning the wheel against the curb when you parked the car.
rcdad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:56 AM   #6
-LSD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdad123 View Post
you might have stripped the tie rod by turning the wheel against the curb when you parked the car.
i thought of it, but i never touched the curb. plus its the other side.