Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #1
MrTalmus

Trader Rating: (0)
MrTalmus is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR SR20DET Broken rocker arms, what’s the damage?

Hi guys.

So a while ago I noticed my car started to act wierd. It had loss of power and stuttered alot. So i found out cylinder numer 2 was not working. Fuel and spark was good so I did a compression test:

Cyl 1: 161psi
Cyl 2: 40psi
Cyl 3: 160psi
Cyl 4: 160psi

Tried to add a little engine oil to cylinder number two and it the compression went up to 65psi. I also blowed some compressed air through the cylinder at TDC and could hear air coming through dip-stick hole. So decided rings were bad.

I then decided to start pulling the head off to check the cylinder damage, but after removing the valve cover I noticed both Rockerarms on cylinder 2 was missing and found them in pieces. I’m only missing one of the shims. Gonna look for it in the oil pan.
https://i.imgur.com/Cdx7uut.jpg

I’m guessing that they did not like the Bee-r I installed and therefore broke, but not 100% possitive. I’m still semi-amateur on engines so if any stupid questions asked, please bear with me. Anyways, heres my question.

-Considering lost compression, may the valves then be damaged? Is there any way of diagnosing without pulling head off?
-Is there any other things I should worry about?
-Should I just buy new rockerarms, change oil and try to start it up again? What could go wrong?

In advance, thanks!
MrTalmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links