Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
HORShi
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
HORShi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Custom Straight Pipe Resonator sizing question?

So I've been planning on getting a custom exhaust for my KA (which is currently NA, will be tuning and setting up for Turbo this winter possibly)

I have been thinking of going with an 3" pipe all the way to 4" tips (pretty much similar to ISIS 3 to 4" exhaust)

Now I'm definitely plan on adding a resonator, but I'm not exactly what size should go with, but pretty much I have added two choices.

The Vibrant Performance Bottle Style
12 inch resonator or 18 resonator.

Now I haven't measured the midpipe (which I should have, but I have not be able to) and I was possibly thinking maybe the 18 would be pretty long.

Also in terms of reducing rasp, which one would be better? I assume the 18, but is there really a distinguishable difference between the two lengths? I already know it's going to be loud, I run N1 Duals currently, so not pressed about loudness, but I'm worried about potentially excessive raspiness from the NA KA currently and trying to get a smoother, deeper and loud tone.

I specifically would like get input from guys who is running a similar system on a NA KA, cause once I go turbo I know it will reduce the raspiness greatly, but I don't plan on installing that just of yet, so it will be on a NA KA for now.

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:44 PM   #2
bmaddock
Zilvia Junkie

bmaddock is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think an 18" resonator will sound drastically different from a 12" one. It's been said the longer the resonator, the less raspy the note. I would contact Vibrant if I were you and speak to a representative though as they will know best.

But personally I wouldn't worry about tuning your exhaust note just yet. Turbo KA will always throw problems at you, save your money for the problems that will without a doubt show up.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:35 PM   #3
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
stock exhaust will support 250-300 rwhp.

Why change it?
Old 10-13-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
HORShi
Zilvia Member

HORShi is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaddock View Post
I don't think an 18" resonator will sound drastically different from a 12" one. It's been said the longer the resonator, the less raspy the note. I would contact Vibrant if I were you and speak to a representative though as they will know best.

But personally I wouldn't worry about tuning your exhaust note just yet. Turbo KA will always throw problems at you, save your money for the problems that will without a doubt show up.
Thanks for the input man, the only reason why I was getting the exhaust is because I have a friend who does TIG welding, and he is doing a project of why TIG is stronger than MIG in exhaust welding, so he was going to weld an simplistic exhaust design in MIG and TIG, and they was going to stress test it somehow @ Ohio State University C.A.R. labs. So he said he would TIG weld me an exhaust (the one he using for the project) if I setup a network domain for his home lol. So it's pretty much for free. So he just asked me for some specs and I wasn't sure what to give them.

and yes you are right man about the issues, I seen that you have been going through constant ECU changes, because your KA keeps running lean. Have you got any idea what's up with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
stock exhaust will support 250-300 rwhp.

Why change it?
The car came with N1 Duals when I bought it so I don't have a stock exhaust and winter is coming and they salt the living hell out of these roads here. I pulled my exhaust because I'm replacing my trans and come to find out, it's a legit Apexi N1 Dual exhaust and with that said, I rather have something cheaper than the Apexi, IF I happen to be presented with a event that I have to drive my car this winter. Hopefully not.