Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-27-2008, 07:34 PM   #1
osal
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
osal is making his/her stupidity well-knownosal is making his/her stupidity well-knownosal is making his/her stupidity well-knownosal is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
ka24de PROBLEM

i ve bin fightin this wierd hesitation problem for months now...searched and searched forum after forum...common culprits checked out ok..

-maf sensor(tried another one)(cleaned it)(cheked wires, continuity)
-o2 sensor(replaced)
-coolant temp sensor(replaced)
-took apart intak manifold, cleaned egr, aiv, replaced pcv replaced all vaccumlines behind egr
-fuel filter replaced
-new plugs
-new wires
-cheked compression( pretty good actually 180 across all cylinders)
_cheked ecu codes( code 41 only, replaced intake air temp sensor) cel light went away after that
_replaced cat with a high flow one, even replaced entire exhaust since the old one had holes.
-replaced distributor
-timing at 20btdc
-FUEL PUMP replaced(walbro)
- added ground wires

CAR: 1995 240sx
ENGINE: ka24de(OBD2)

PROBLEM:...car idles hard as a rock no stumbling idle or anything, however wenever the car accelerates it does not rev smoothly,it revs kinda ok in neutral but it is not the 2.5k rev limiter set by the maf sensor but a weird hesitation. It happens wether hot or cold

POSSIBLE SOLUTION: The only thing left i started to look at today was the knock sensor, i read many threads about it so i started testing today. When the manifold was out..the sensor looked in great shape so i didnt worry about it, continuity exist from the ecu pin to the conector...however wen i disconect the knock sensor conector from the engine harness, nothing happens and the car still has the hesitation and the check engine light does not come on.is this normal??

I am thinkin there is a problem in the wire that conects the knock sensor itself to the engine harness(runs inside intake manifold)...one of the pins should have continuity with ground but none of them chek out...

Do u guys think this is wat is makin my baby run like that
?...I mean how should the car run if the knock sensor was disconected?..i get no engine light on and the car runs just as b4 with the hesitation...

HELP GUYS

THANKS

Last edited by osal; 06-12-2008 at 07:08 PM..
osal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
dued
Zilvia Junkie

dued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymore
s14

Clutch.

Your clutch could be slipping.
dued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
Z U L8R
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
Z U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
are you using the stock intake piping or do you have like a cold air intake aluminum pipe thingy.

btw i check your tps 1-5 volt sensor wire at the ecu with a digital multimeter with the ignition on with the throttle closed and opened 0-1 volt closed and 3.9-5volts when wide open is what you're looking for.

gl mang =]

Dave =]
Old 05-27-2008, 08:52 PM   #4
osal
Leaky Injector

osal is making his/her stupidity well-knownosal is making his/her stupidity well-knownosal is making his/her stupidity well-knownosal is making his/her stupidity well-known
thanks guys ...but wouldnt the tps give me idle problems?....

-clutch doesnt feel like it would slip but mite look into that

wat about the knock sensor...i disconnected it and i ran the same..is this normal???
Old 05-27-2008, 09:14 PM   #5
Z U L8R
Zilvia FREAK!

Z U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond repute
no. do what i said
Old 05-27-2008, 09:36 PM   #6
Giebs
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
Giebs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
when checking the tps u really want to check the voltage between WOT and idle. need an oscilloscope for that. you wanna see if the voltage increase is smooth and even as you move the throttle.
Giebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
osal
Leaky Injector

ok so i bought a new tps..put it on...but cant really get to adjust it to the rite voltage...however i was readin some other threads and got some ideas and will try again tomorrow......

one question though...how should the car run without it being connected..?..my car runs exactly the same..with good idle and horrible acceleration..and no chek engine lite..any thoughts?
Old 06-05-2008, 11:39 PM   #8
xsparc
Zilvia Junkie

xsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to xsparc Send a message via Yahoo to xsparc
the gnd for the knock sensor wont pin out from the harness. its a floating gnd. the sensor is grounded to the block throught the casing.

with the tps disconected, it will idle a little higher.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:48 PM   #9
Z U L8R
Zilvia FREAK!

i didn't say to BUY a tps.

i said to check the voltage going to it.

for the record, yes a tps can cause idle issues as well as driveability issues. what's the story with the car now?

Dave
Old 06-06-2008, 05:22 AM   #10
osal
Leaky Injector

well i bought a new one because the old one did not chek out with the correct number of kohms.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:49 AM   #11
osal
Leaky Injector

well i got the new tps adjusted to .5volts...still very poor acceleration..i m about to make a video maybe that will help to diagnose better
Old 06-06-2008, 03:13 PM   #12
Saviorsoul
Leaky Injector

Saviorsoul is making his/her stupidity well-knownSaviorsoul is making his/her stupidity well-knownSaviorsoul is making his/her stupidity well-knownSaviorsoul is making his/her stupidity well-known
...Have you checked your TPS?
Saviorsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #13
Saviorsoul
Leaky Injector

Saviorsoul is making his/her stupidity well-knownSaviorsoul is making his/her stupidity well-knownSaviorsoul is making his/her stupidity well-knownSaviorsoul is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by osal View Post
well i got the new tps adjusted to .5volts...still very poor acceleration..i m about to make a video maybe that will help to diagnose better
If I remember correct its suppose to be at 4.5v at idle
Old 06-06-2008, 03:18 PM   #14
Saviorsoul
Leaky Injector

Quote:
i
POSSIBLE SOLUTION: The only thing left i started to look at today was the knock sensor, i read many threads about it so i started testing today. When the manifold was out..the sensor looked in great shape so i didnt worry about it, continuity exist from the ecu

In every situation I've PERSONALLY seen, if its the knock sensor it throws a engine code. Also I don't "beleive" under normal conditions the knock sensor would effect your driving. It's suppose to (i think retard) your timing if you start getting pings. Don't trust me on that, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:12 PM   #15
osal
Leaky Injector

this is wat 240sx faq says
5. Adjust by rotating Throttle Sensor body so that the output voltage is 0.45 - 0.55 volts....
Old 06-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #16
xsparc
Zilvia Junkie

xsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to xsparc Send a message via Yahoo to xsparc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saviorsoul View Post
In every situation I've PERSONALLY seen, if its the knock sensor it throws a engine code. Also I don't "beleive" under normal conditions the knock sensor would effect your driving. It's suppose to (i think retard) your timing if you start getting pings. Don't trust me on that, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
the KS will throw a code, but not a CEL. It cause a heasitation at about 3k, not lack of power.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:35 PM   #17
HemiCharger
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
HemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymoreHemiCharger is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Perfect KA fix.

1. Remove Engine
2. attach 25 feet of chain to the front block tow
3. Prepare fishing reels, lines and lures.
4. Put said KA on your boat from step 2
5. Get lots and lots of beers and friends for the trip
6. go out to the middle of your favorite fishing spot and dump the KA over board after having attached the other end of the chain to your bow.

Enjoy the rest of your afternoon.

KA24DE the perfect boat anchor......
HemiCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:27 PM   #18
osal
Leaky Injector

lol no man that s not an option...i was actually impressed to have 180ish psi of compression along all cylinders...i cant give up on an healthy engine liek that
Old 06-06-2008, 11:10 PM   #19
Z U L8R
Zilvia FREAK!

adjust your tps so it's over 4 volts wide open throttle, and under 1 volt with the throttle body closed. then lets move on

too wide of a spark plug gap will cause it to break up under load. u may want to pull em out and check the one's you put in. and if they're bosch x9 platinum bullshits throw them away and put in the factory spec ngk plug.

when you changed your distributor did you put a new distributor cap on it with a new rotor button?

does your distributor have an internal or external coil? in other words do you have 4 or 5 wires going to your distributor cap?

Dave
Old 06-07-2008, 02:55 AM   #20
osal
Leaky Injector

umm okey when i put the new spark plugs they were ngk platinum tips and there s a sticker on the engine bay that says that platinum tip spark plugs dont need adjustment..however the car was also running like shit with the old ones....

Yes distributor has a new cap and also rotor...as well as spark plug wires.
And also the distributor contains an internal coil and it should be new since the dizzy is new as well

I m thinking of another possibility now...do u think maybe my cam timing is out of spec maybe the chain jumped a tooh or something?...although the only time i took out my valve cover was wen i removed the chain guides..

i m goin to take a picture and show u guys

thanks 4 ur help guyss...
Old 06-07-2008, 09:59 AM   #21
napz510
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (36)
napz510 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Maybe you have a vacuum leak, why don't you install one just to see what's your vacuum and it should be at 20.
napz510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #22
osal
Leaky Injector

well wen the intake manifold was out..i replaced most vaccum lines...even replaced my intake mani gasket...i m runnin out of ideas
Old 06-12-2008, 04:01 PM   #23
LetsKillKevy

LetsKillKevy is an unknown quantity at this point
Not sure if this has been said elsewhere, but I have had a similar issue about a year back and all it turned out to be was a slightly clogged injector, of which I had a full used set laying around. Injector could flow plenty of fuel at idle to about quarter throttle but couldn't flow enough for pedal to the metal driving and would give a slight sputterish, hesitation. Just something to think about if you haven't checked the injector/ signal to the injectors.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:22 PM   #24
97KATURBOSILVIA
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (-1)
97KATURBOSILVIA is a glorious beacon of light97KATURBOSILVIA is a glorious beacon of light97KATURBOSILVIA is a glorious beacon of light97KATURBOSILVIA is a glorious beacon of light97KATURBOSILVIA is a glorious beacon of light97KATURBOSILVIA is a glorious beacon of light97KATURBOSILVIA is a glorious beacon of light97KATURBOSILVIA is a glorious beacon of light97KATURBOSILVIA is a glorious beacon of light97KATURBOSILVIA is a glorious beacon of light97KATURBOSILVIA is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Exactly what i was thinking, should be easy enough to check too. GL your doing all the right things, ever try switching out the ecu also. Just because it reads codes doesnt mean its functioning properly.
97KATURBOSILVIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:13 PM   #25
osal
Leaky Injector

i am about to buy another ecu from this zilvia member..so i ll chek on dat....i ll check injectors too, i only cheked by unpluggin each one while the car was running and the idle changed so i assume they were good..but i will chek fsm to chek the ohms....

i have a question thou...i bought this conzult cable from ebay and i have a software for it...however my computer does not read it...i m wondering if it is because i have vista or maybe the ddl connector is not workin, is there a way to check that connector to make sure is workin??..
Old 06-12-2008, 11:46 PM   #26
shift_tommy

shift_tommy is an unknown quantity at this point
With the car idling, disconnect each injector and see if the idle decreases and reconnect it. Do it to each injector. The injector that does not cause the idle to stumble should be the culprit. Also, check if you are getting spark to each cylinder. Seems like your car is misfiring. I had this issue before and checked both spark and fuel. Turned out it was a fuel injector.
shift_tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:18 AM   #27
osal
Leaky Injector

yea i already did that test of unpluggin each injector while the car is idling..when i unplug any of them, the idle changes so it should be good.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:37 AM   #28
darkslide
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
darkslide has a spectacular aura aboutdarkslide has a spectacular aura aboutdarkslide has a spectacular aura aboutdarkslide has a spectacular aura aboutdarkslide has a spectacular aura aboutdarkslide has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
i am about to buy another ecu from this zilvia member..so i ll chek on dat....i ll check injectors too, i only cheked by unpluggin each one while the car was running and the idle changed so i assume they were good..but i will chek fsm to chek the ohms....

i have a question thou...i bought this conzult cable from ebay and i have a software for it...however my computer does not read it...i m wondering if it is because i have vista or maybe the ddl connector is not workin, is there a way to check that connector to make sure is workin??..

do you have any buddies with a s14 maybe u can swap the ecu b4 buying another one, kinda to verify that its the problem b4 you waste some cash money

is the software from blaZt? if so they got a FAQ section
http://www.blazt.biz/forum/faq.php?s...a36e993c00ba17

also might wanna check this one out
http://202.43.230.118/
Old 06-13-2008, 11:08 AM   #29
Bboy/dorikun88
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (12)
Bboy/dorikun88 is a jewel in the roughBboy/dorikun88 is a jewel in the roughBboy/dorikun88 is a jewel in the roughBboy/dorikun88 is a jewel in the roughBboy/dorikun88 is a jewel in the roughBboy/dorikun88 is a jewel in the roughBboy/dorikun88 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bboy/dorikun88
hey man now when yo say hesitation what do the rpms do does it kinda fall on its face a lil then pick right back up or does it just give a slight buck and then go?
Bboy/dorikun88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:48 PM   #30
osal
Leaky Injector

no, after 3k rpms acceleration is really sluggish..thats in every gear.

anyways i was looking at the fuel pressure regulator...i unplugged the vaccum goin to it and run with it disconnected...no change at all ,the car still runs like shit...does this mean my fuel regulator is shot???...i mean i already changed my pump to a walbro and also the fuel filter. Let me know wat u guys think
thanks