Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
AlexRMC92

Trader Rating: (0)
AlexRMC92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
T25 Turbine Housing Bolt Frozen

I'm trying to remove one of the for bolts on the turbine housing and it will not budge. This bolt is in a bad spot, i cant get a socket or the closed end of a wrench on it. Only the open end of the wrench will fit and i am starting to round it off. I may try soaking it in 50/50 ATF and Acetone, but i want to see if anyone here has had the same issue?
AlexRMC92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Hardie
Leaky Injector

Hardie is an unknown quantity at this point
Spray some WD40 onto it and let it sit overnight. Try using some vise-grip pliers.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
AlexRMC92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardie View Post
Spray some WD40 onto it and let it sit overnight. Try using some vise-grip pliers.
I already tried WD40, i was hoping it would be that simple

Oh well, ill try vice grips tomorrow, i'm not sure if they will fit on this bolt, seems like the water cooling port gets in the way.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
Hardie
Leaky Injector

Hardie is an unknown quantity at this point
If you cannot reach it are you able to remove the dump pipe from exhaust, and remove manifold from engine and lift the whole turbo out?

I know it seems like a lot of effort but might save you more time down the track. Which bolt is it exactly?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
AlexRMC92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardie View Post
If you cannot reach it are you able to remove the dump pipe from exhaust, and remove manifold from engine and lift the whole turbo out?

I know it seems like a lot of effort but might save you more time down the track. Which bolt is it exactly?
The turbo is out of the car. I figured a pic would be easier to describe this.

The bolt is directly under the water port in the CHRA. Unless i can somehow rotate the housing while it still has one bolt in it, i wont be able to fit many tools in there. An open ended wrench is about it and i am starting to round it off. Ill trice some vice grips tomorrow and see if i can pull it off.

EDIT: http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/188356...o-rebuild.html well that is just fantastic...

Last edited by AlexRMC92; 10-02-2012 at 11:59 PM..
Old 10-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
Jesse@PureTurbos
Leaky Injector

Jesse@PureTurbos is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up t25 bolt

After letting the bolt soak in some PB Blaster or other good penetrant, try applying some heat to the turbine housing around the bolt. A standard propane torch is good enough. Take a 6-point closed end wrench you don't care much about and grind down the closed end so it slides in underneath the oil drain flange and gets on the head of the bolt. You should be able to break it loose. Don't apply too much force. Just lean on it a little bit and let the heat do it's job. It should crack loose and back out... Good luck. If you can't get it, send it to us and we'll get it out.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
Z33dori
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
Z33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
take a good sturdy 1/2 or 13mm wrench and grind it flat till it fits
Old 10-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #8
w0nderbr3ad
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (50)
w0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to w0nderbr3ad
What I did when the bolt was rounding out was create some notches for a pair of vice grips to grab. I also soaked in on blaster overnight and heated it around the bolt. This helped a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
w0nderbr3ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
JDS Performance
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (53)
JDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Use a grinder and cut the head off - then when you get the turbine housing off you can replace them with new bolts - a tip when you go to put the turbine housing back on - put the bolt that goes under the drain in before you put the turbine housing on or else you will never get it on.
I have a DVD coming out soon - check it out!
JDS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote