Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:57 AM   #1
kaking
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Trader Rating: (7)
kaking is making a name for him/her selfkaking is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Question SR not getting power after installing new harness

I just installed a brand new wiring harness from Wiring Specialties and now the car is getting no power. 1st turn of the key it tried to turn over. Then 2nd 3rd and 4th it just clicked. Then after that it did nothing, and now nothing is getting power. I checked to make sure my alt/starter wires weren't swapped(they weren't) and that everything was grounded which they were. So im really confused on what would cause the car the gradually not get power. I figured if it were a fuse or relay it would've just stopped the first time, not gradually lose power. The battery is also new. So im super stumped

Anyone have any ideas of what it could be or what I should check?

S14, sr, new upper harness, ka lower(trans sensors not plugged in)

Any input would help since I have no idea where to go now...thanks
kaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
kaking

kaking is making a name for him/her selfkaking is making a name for him/her self
Anyone have a suggestion?
Old 03-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
daryl337
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
daryl337 has a spectacular aura aboutdaryl337 has a spectacular aura aboutdaryl337 has a spectacular aura aboutdaryl337 has a spectacular aura aboutdaryl337 has a spectacular aura aboutdaryl337 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to daryl337
*gradually* not getting power? The battery may be new, but is it drained?
Old 03-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
more grounds
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #5
240sx123$
BANNED

Trader Rating: (2)
240sx123$ is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
x2 on dead battery, loose battery terminal, or poor ground.
240sx123$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
kaking

Ill recheck all my grounds tomorrow if it doesnt rain
Old 04-13-2011, 12:09 AM   #7
kaking

UPDATE:

Battery is good
Grounds are NOW good
All fuses are good
EGI relay is good
*CAR CRANKS BUT WONT TURN OVER*
*FUEL PUMP WORKS BUT ITS NOT GETTING POWER*

ANY SUGGESTIONS???
Old 04-13-2011, 12:22 AM   #8
S14_drift junkE
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
S14_drift junkE is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
when you say fuel pump works, do you mean youre getting fuel pressure? My car recently did this, and it was insuffecient grounds and it was shorting out the CAS.
S14_drift junkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:37 AM   #9
murffy
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (44)
murffy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
yeah check your grounds..i dont know if you have a 13 or 14..but yeah this happened to my s14 a couple of months ago, check the ground on the trunk latch and check the ground on the passenger side front strut tower
murffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #10
Jimbo_Moone
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
Jimbo_Moone is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I am having the same issue. I'll check my grounds tomorrow.
Jimbo_Moone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:39 PM   #11
kaking

No fuel pressure but ive checked to make sure the pump works by connecting direct power to it.

Its an s14. All my grounds are good BUT i havent seen this one on the truck latch you speak of. Ill do that tomorrow for sure. Thanks for giving me another thing to look at
Old 04-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #12
240sx-pat
Zilvia Member

240sx-pat is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 240sx-pat Send a message via MSN to 240sx-pat
Okay, so how did everything go?
240sx-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:14 AM   #13
kaking

Still nothing ;-(

My guess now is it might be the ecu. Saw a guy selling a #62 ecu but the catch was it wasnt turning the fuel pump on. Would check but i dont know anyone with a #62 ecu to let me plug in. How would one check to see if thats the problem w/o a donor ecu?
Old 04-21-2011, 12:23 AM   #14
thurman548
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
thurman548 is making a name for him/her selfthurman548 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I had the same problem. There is a wire you still need to tap to turn the ecu on. I think it is an orange wire (34 - Start signal (from ignition switch) - Orange). let me know if it fires up.
thurman548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:56 AM   #15
kaking

Okay so i looked into the #34 wire but after reading that its components are nothing with fuel it doesnt seem like thats my problem. MY CAR IS CRANKING BUT NOT TURNING ON DUE TO NOT GETTING FUEL. I actually saw his post on another guys ECU for sale thread talking about it which make me pretty sure/sad that its most likely an ECU problem...

In this video he seems to be having the same problem i am
Video Blog 4-1-2009 on Vimeo

So now im pretty sure its the ECU, is there anything else that i could check?
Am i wrong, does that #34 wire do more than im thinking it does?

*Car cranks but wont start*
*Fuel pump is good BUT does not prime when not hard wired(so getting no fuel)*
Old 04-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #16
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
the next video up in the playlist shows me taking the ecu apart and making sure that pathway to the fuel pump is not broken on the board.

You can take a multimeter and check the pin for the fuel pump and the path it starts at.

If you're getting acc power, if you're turning the key and cranking it and it turns over but isn't starting and your fuel pump doesn't prime when you turn the key to on. Your ecu is burnt and will need to be replaced of if you're feeling brave since it's already fucked up you can try fixing it like I did.

I still have that ecu I repaired but from what I'm reading you have an s14sr? or an s14 with an s13sr?

If you want I can mail you out my spare ecu just give me like 10 bucks for postage. It's better than nothing.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #17
240sx-pat
Zilvia Member

Alright , so did you ever resolve it yet?
Old 05-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #18
kaking

Om1kron was kind enough to lend me his spare ecu and sadly im having the same program blem :'(...so I've decided to take my interior apart and make sute no wires are tampered with(doesn't look like they are though)
Old 05-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #19
240sx-pat
Zilvia Member

My car is now up and running , had similar issue as you it was my first swap so I was skeptical about everything that I did like my wire harness I've never solder anything in my life so I wasn't sure wtf it was, I've learned how to check pins and all that good stuff.

Anyways mine ended up being a bad ECU japslapsilvia came over to help me troubleshoot with two of his buddies , very nice guy and really intelligent. We did not get the car running that day but we eliminated a lot of things and narrowed down the issue.

the symptom was like yours my fuel pump only prime when I grounded the wire, my ECU power wire black/white was not getting any reading at the chassis so that kind of threw us off a little, the fuse was good and relays had power at the connector but nothing going out to my black/white. We tried his harness just to make sure it wasn't harness we didn't try the ECU because he didn't bring it with him.

that same day I went a head and bought the ECU off of someone on here because I was very skeptical about mine they sent me a messed up turbo and broken ignitor chip anyways , while waiting for the ECU I started troubleshooting by jumping the relay connectors and everything , I got the fuel pump to prime by jump the relays and I got the the black/white wiring to get power on the chassis by jumping relays, by reading and messing around with the relays I learned a few things, I was about 70% confident that mine would be resolved once i plug in the new ECU and it did, the ECU will control trigger your relays and pretty much get everything synchronized.

but since you already got another ECU then IDK, but I do know that the original ECU that i had didn't have any burnt trace it was just fucked up.

at one point I had battery very low where the starter would just click , this battery was brand new I took it to autozone and i was surprised when they said it only had 11% left
anyway, that's about it.

Good luck
Old 05-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #20
jdm213
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
jdm213 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
have you checked the fuel pump relay?????
jdm213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #21
kaking

Yes sir, its a brand new relay that came with the harness. I'm interested in what Thurman548 was talking about but im not exactly sure what he means by "tap" the wire. Anyone have experience with that?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #22
camaro379ss
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
camaro379ss is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
have you back probed the wire(s) from the ecu that either ground the corcuit or power that circuit?
Old 06-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #23
kaking

Cars running now....of course it ended up being the dumbest thing in the world. My F4 plug in the interior had a excess piece of plastic on it that wasnt allowing it to connect properly. Got that plugged in right and the ecu, fuel pump, and the car all turned on. Makes me feel good to know i had everything right, but sad that i had to pay an extra buck and waist so much time.

Om1kron i just realized i still have your spare ecu so ill get that shipped out to you at the beginning of the week. Thanks again