Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-20-2001, 07:37 PM   #1

Everyone talks about swapping out their egine. Why swap to the sr20det or the other one which i can never remember? Why not just turbo charge the ka? (ka for me at least, i've a '91 240) What are the advantages to having the sr. Just more horsepower? Would it be worth suping up my ka? Please help.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2001, 08:07 PM   #2
LanceS13
AutoX Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
LanceS13 is making a name for him/her selfLanceS13 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The SR comes with a turbo, therefore, it's is made to support a turbo.  It also has more top end.  It has better aftermarket support, too.  The KA makes better torque and low end power.  It's entirely possible to make a monster turbo KA ::enter Mark West::, it just takes a bit more work and know-how.  
LanceS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 11:42 PM   #3
West
OMNOMNOMNOM

West has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to West
Its more cost effective to swap a SR20DET into the KA24DE 89-90 models because they dont make a turbo kit for that engine yet. Although some are in the works and some have built custom kits for it its still better to get the SR. The KA24E has timing issues that can cost 1k$ or more to repair. So why not swap in the SR20DET engine for 3000$ + install and get a whole new engine and tranny.
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 10:09 AM   #4

Nsport already makes a turbo kit that will fit my '91. Also, i have to have my car go through an emissions test every other year and the sr isn't gonna cut it. Not by a long shot. I and my friend can probably work out most of the internal problems if we can just find enough info on it. He's a mechanic and has all the tools and shit to pull the engine out and what not. So if you have any more info on the timing problems or know where i can find some it would be a great deal of help to me if you could provide it :-) or anyone for that matter.
Old 08-21-2001, 10:19 AM   #5
West
OMNOMNOMNOM

West has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to West
It will work for the 91 since its the KA24DE.... 89-90 uses the KA24E.
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 10:51 AM   #6

I thought you just said that the KA24DE had timing problems.. You kinda lost me. Is there anyway i can just talk to you on ICQ or aol messenger or something? Since you are aparrently the most knowledgable on the ka in this forum.

(Edited by RubberSideDown at 10:54 am on Aug. 21, 2001)