Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-12-2004, 12:31 AM   #1
mutkung
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
mutkung is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mutkung Send a message via MSN to mutkung Send a message via Yahoo to mutkung
CA My home made Catch can powered by Lowe's

http://community.webshots.com/user/loofeeturbo2
I've done the same for my FC TII, and it works. so I've done this with a lil touch .
As u can see that all this was purchase @ Lowe's for less than $30.
the size of the hose was 5/8" heater hose. 3" caps and pipe. Vac nipplesthe same size as the hose. 2 different sizes nipples, 2 for the line to the engines-intake, and 2 smaller ones for the level. Just FYI
let me know what u guys think.
C
PS: this is actualy Loofee95se,` posting on my lil brother Computer.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:53 AM   #2
old_s13
BANNED

old_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
wow.........................

..........thats quite horrible.
old_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 09:59 AM   #3
mjjstang
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
mjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mjjstang
yah but u gotta love cheap home made shit that works. btw though, do all catch cans use such large and long tubes.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:47 AM   #4
Jeff240sx
I hate you too...

Jeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond repute
You don't need a catch can. Or if you want one, it is simply a can with a couple hoses going to it. There is no reason to pay $180 for a bling-bling can, when a $30 setup works fine. GReddy doesn't put magic fairy dust in there so it works better than a beer can + silicon caulk + hoses.

On a side note, why can't you take pictures right-side-up?
-Jeff
Old 09-12-2004, 10:50 AM   #5
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Looks like a pipe bomb.

You did fill it with SS wool before buttoning it up?
Old 09-12-2004, 10:56 AM   #6
old_s13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff240sx
You don't need a catch can. Or if you want one, it is simply a can with a couple hoses going to it. There is no reason to pay $180 for a bling-bling can, when a $30 setup works fine. GReddy doesn't put magic fairy dust in there so it works better than a beer can + silicon caulk + hoses.

On a side note, why can't you take pictures right-side-up?
-Jeff
a fancy greddy can costs under 100. fuck the chrome, make it black and use it because its nice quality, not because its "g-reddy"

as for needing a "catch can" why waste your time with all this, when you can use the factory turbo catch can? they're a dime a dozen, small, and cheap.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:46 AM   #7
Loofee95SE
Zilvia Junkie

Loofee95SE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Loofee95SE
as u can tell, i can't take pictures, and this set up works fine for a lot of FCs,
and no not all catch can have to have such a long hose, but due to i'm still witting for some thing else.
i just want to have a lil more. 4 now.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:53 AM   #8
cr00k_lyn
Zilvia Addict

cr00k_lyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to cr00k_lyn
As long as it does the job thats all that matters...
Old 09-12-2004, 09:45 PM   #9
s0ldats
Zilvia Addict

s0ldats is on the path to ruins0ldats is on the path to ruin
cool DIY. i need to make one too.
s0ldats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 09:52 PM   #10
mbmbmb23
Zilvia Contributor

Trader Rating: (1)
mbmbmb23 is on the path to ruinmbmbmb23 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Pretty cool...........if you got some sorta shrinkwrap rubber to go around it...it would look alot cleaner/OEM-ish.

-m
Old 09-13-2004, 03:23 AM   #11
evilimport
Zilvia Addict

evilimport is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr00k_lyn
As long as it does the job thats all that matters...
this is the truth.... bling sux anyway.
evilimport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 04:01 AM   #12
TheSnail
Nissanaholic!

TheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to all
I dont use a catch-can, I recirculate it to the manifold and cool the intake charge.
TheSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 06:40 AM   #13
Vatche
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (289)
Vatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 289 reviews
honestly whats the point of the catch can, cant i just leak it to the floor? and why does the oil even leak out
The Ultimate For Sale Thread <> Review Thread
Vatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 06:45 AM   #14
tastyratz
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
tastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tastyratz
i think catch cans are a very useful thing. ever see the inside of an old intake manifold? its got all that black gunky buildup on the sides. do your want your motor injesting all that? oil also lowers the effective octane. i agree the diy is useful and a bling one isnt needed but s14db was right in asking if you put steel wool in. a catch can is useless without any form of baffels or wool or something. im probabbly gonna just use a fuel filter from autozonemyself.
tastyratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 07:36 AM   #15
bing
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
bing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
i need to make one of these things too, and will prolly do something similar to what this guy did but make ti a bit cleaner.

from what i know about this issue, which isnt much, the catch can is needed to catch the oil that expells from the top of the valve cover due to 'blow-by'.

simply plugging this up would create excess pressure on the crank case and be bad for seals etc.

is this information accurate?

as for recirculating it into the intake i have heard the same info that was just posted. avoid if possible.

and from my experience, a breather filter does NOTHING...as would be expected...lol
Old 09-13-2004, 12:18 PM   #16
Loofee95SE
Zilvia Junkie

I hope that this will answer some of u guys questions.
This parts was made with only 2 things in mind 1. cost 2. performance. which i think i got it both.
Again catch can is there to help with too much blowby pressure from the engine that come thru the hose on top of the valve cover to recirculate in to the intake mani, in my case the intake b4 the turbo, which also to carry moisture and burn oil, that will eventualy gunk up the intake mani, turbo, valve, injector etc etc. cause it to effect the octane rate and accereration. TB plate stuck.
thats why catch can was created, to help catch all that before it go back to the intake, help keep the engine clean, and in many cases the turbo.

putting intake element @ the valve cover will work. but as mention that the blowby it carry moisture and oil it will eventualy clock up the filter and failed.
some guys just use a hose that go to a bottle. works fine to, i just take it to the next step.
just leak it to the floor will be the last thing u want to do , as we all know well that oil on the pavement is not good. for ne body.
any suggesttion is always welcome. thats why we have this forums for.
and i'm planning to do a full write up soon, some time this weekend.
C
Old 09-13-2004, 02:35 PM   #17
tastyratz
Zilvia Addict

tastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to behold
theres no way to really leak it to the floor. you need the line in for vacuum so you cant just unplug it and dumb people put breather filters on their car on the valve cover when thats an outlet lol. a bottle isnt really gonna collect very well you need some sort of material whether its baffels, steel wool, etc. basically you need as much surface area as possible for it to run along and deposit oil in. you also want a drain in the bottom to get rid of the crap too.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:48 PM   #18
bing
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
bing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
yeah i tossed a breather filter on there because i had it sitting around and it matched some other colours in the engine bay... but man it sure doesnt do a damn thing for the blowby...lol

home-made catch-can time it is...

i was prolly just going to run it to a bottle or container of soem kind and empty it every now and again, i dont really want to recirculate that crap.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:26 PM   #19
kidinthehall
Zilvia Junkie

kidinthehall is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_s13
a fancy greddy can costs under 100. fuck the chrome, make it black and use it because its nice quality, not because its "g-reddy"

Whatever..........whens the last time you said "WHEW......that was a close one, thank god i went with that GReddy can instead of making one"

you're a fucking idiot
Old 09-14-2004, 05:41 AM   #20
tastyratz
Zilvia Addict

add a drain valve to the bottom so that you can dump it when it gets full, and definitely add something inside for it to actually really work like some steel wool. in something like that for a more ideal situation you would want to make it so the inlet/outlet are on opposite corners (for ease of drawing pretend its square)
| |
|____________ |=

that way you get swirl and more contact time with the filling material and its not just gonna suck air from one to the other since they are right next to each other.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:20 AM   #21
silviasichigo
Zilvia Addict

silviasichigo is an unknown quantity at this point
haha that is better than my friend dans Starbucs designer oil catch hahaha.
silviasichigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:18 AM   #22
tastyratz
Zilvia Addict

damn zilvia eats my ascii
Old 09-14-2004, 10:00 AM   #23
old_s13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidinthehall
Whatever..........whens the last time you said "WHEW......that was a close one, thank god i went with that GReddy can instead of making one"

you're a fucking idiot

thats never happened

much like i never plan on installing a catch can that looks like a fuckin PIPE BOMB
Old 09-14-2004, 12:17 PM   #24
tastyratz
Zilvia Addict

come on old dont you wanna blow away the competition?
Old 09-14-2004, 04:56 PM   #25
West
OMNOMNOMNOM

West has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to West
http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/fo...ic.php?t=46353
Old 09-14-2004, 07:45 PM   #26
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Hundai Performance? You're quoting something from a page making POS go faster?

Oh Wait:
Old 09-15-2004, 09:46 AM   #27
tastyratz
Zilvia Addict

few points.
1. shame on you for visiting the hyundai board.
2. arent those usually made of glass? isnt that a very BAD idea to have glas bangin around the engine bay?
3. alot of those are meant to drain out the bottom based on pressure, is that one different or do they make them so you can easily drain it?
4. your getting away from function with form with that unless you pack some material inside of them. the one mutkung made was right with having the fittings on top and bottom with the tube so you can see if its full but inside you wanna really put some baffels or steel wool or something so it collects alot of it. you dont really want the inlet and outlet aligned ideally because it can be blown straight through and not have a chance to circulate over surfaces inside to collect. if anything you want them offset and have one higher than the other. whatever you wanna do is fine i guess but im talking ideal situation for a more functional design. I drew up something in paint here at work, what do you guys think? something like that with as much surface area as possible thats the least restrictive design as to not choke out the vacuum pull but still catch things. i figured the screen from windows might be best because its available and not too fine. any suggestions/ improvements?
Attached Images
File Type: gif catchcan.GIF (9.7 KB, 87 views)
Old 09-15-2004, 12:16 PM   #28
Loofee95SE
Zilvia Junkie

thats a very cool design. see, this is good stuff. better than try to bitch over what looks better..and bla bla bla.. C
Old 09-15-2004, 03:21 PM   #29
proj240sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
proj240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
nice design tasty. i dont know why people are complaing about home made stuff, if its done right and accomplishes what it needs to do, then great. i can see where people would flame if you took some huge square tupperware the size of a airfilter, glued hoses to it and called it a day. but nice work guys, a lot of people will like and use your idea.

90 RPS1345 hybrid thingy & 01 IS300
proj240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:06 PM   #30
tastyratz
Zilvia Addict

thanks :-) i think the screens will work out best because you cant really pull stuff through steel wool but a few or bunch of window screens spaced out arent very restrictive but will provide plenty of surface area for collection. if you REALLY wanna fab something up nice i would say making a t shaped design would be the most efficient. you could use screening going straight through and all the runoff will collect in the center drain :-) you can definitely tell i have too much time at work sometimes with my elaborate mspaint scheme