Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
Bmxer300zx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Bmxer300zx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do not use a ka24/rb20 transmission if you have the money to setup others. My piddly rb20 broke the stock transmisison and now on my 2nd ka/rb20 hybrid trans.
A z32 NA and TT are the same internally exept a few minor things the biggest being the TT using an inch bigger flywheel/clutch, NA is smaller I also would just stick with the rb25 clutch setup more abundant than a good hp rated NA z32 clutch The rb25 and NA z32 share clutch size and patterns DO NOT USE A Z32 FLYWHEEL it's a different bolt pattern.

Far as z32 trans you will need a rb25 bellhousing or a ka24 adapter plate. DO NOT USE THE ADAPTER UNLESS you either have a flywheel spacer or machine the bellhousing down to accommodate the space of the adapter.
The rb25 bellhousing bolts to the z32 I would also recommend going to excessive manufacturing and getting a shifter assembly made shorter to fit into a s13 chassis.
You'll also need a starter from a RB and a z32 slave cylinder should work ( I have one on my rb20 now)
Far as wiring goes should be fiarly easy with google searching people using the z32 trans on a s13.
Bmxer300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
Suit
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Suit is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxer300zx View Post
Do not use a ka24/rb20 transmission if you have the money to setup others. My piddly rb20 broke the stock transmisison and now on my 2nd ka/rb20 hybrid trans.
A z32 NA and TT are the same internally exept a few minor things the biggest being the TT using an inch bigger flywheel/clutch, NA is smaller I also would just stick with the rb25 clutch setup more abundant than a good hp rated NA z32 clutch The rb25 and NA z32 share clutch size and patterns DO NOT USE A Z32 FLYWHEEL it's a different bolt pattern.

Far as z32 trans you will need a rb25 bellhousing or a ka24 adapter plate. DO NOT USE THE ADAPTER UNLESS you either have a flywheel spacer or machine the bellhousing down to accommodate the space of the adapter.
The rb25 bellhousing bolts to the z32 I would also recommend going to excessive manufacturing and getting a shifter assembly made shorter to fit into a s13 chassis.
You'll also need a starter from a RB and a z32 slave cylinder should work ( I have one on my rb20 now)
Far as wiring goes should be fiarly easy with google searching people using the z32 trans on a s13.
well i already have the z32 so it's good. I am assuming by the looks of everything that it was already set up to fit in an s13 and work with the rb25 because its everything together as a almost complete swap, the shifter also is obviously not stock which leads me to believe it has already received a new assembly. I will post pictures of the plate and the shifter as well as the everything else sometime tonight or tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxer300zx View Post
Lol No on being same as a ka its internally equal to a rb25
Yes to the bolt pattern I almost just used a ka24 trans on my rb20 but the biggest is one bolt can be drilled to work and the other doesn't exist on a RB block.

Biggest problem is the ka24 transmission is 2" longer so sets the shifter further back and needing to shorten driveshaft is a must.
well one thing is for sure i am NOT using the ka tranny lol. also came with a drive shaft lengthened for an s13 so once i get a clutch for it everything should bolt right back up together and drop it.

Thanks for all the help guys. I checked the flywheels p-plates and clutches and they are pretty obviously different. I was hoping i could use the z32 clutch but of course as stated by someone previously, its definitely smaller.

so whats everyones opinion on a clutch?
i have been looking at the competition 6 pad and 4 pad clutch kits. the 6 pads are "stage 4" and rated at 250% increase in tq capacity(4xx-5xx ft-lbs?) and the 4 pads are "stage 5" and rated at 300% increase in tq capacity (600+ ft-lbs?)
My question is, is the 4 pad stage 5 really necessary or will the 6 pad stage 4 hold? i cleaned the flywheel and am about to have it re-surfaced, im shooting for 500whp on this motor with a big turbo, so it will probably make only 400-450 ft-lbs of tq at most. I definitely did 436whp on 14lbs on my last rb with a gt35 and would bump it up to 18 every so often, it was a stock clutch assembly and it held up fine so id rather not buy a clutch that will be shitty-er than the oem clutch. what do you guys think?