Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
Mtndrifter14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Mtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shimming an R200 or J30 vlsd

By: Hunter Rodziczak

I could not find a comprehensive guide to doing this, So I thought I would make one for the good of the S chassis community.

Benefits: Get clutch type lsd action for a 1/4 of the price.

Well post j30 VLSD installation I found myself quite unsatisfied with the performance. As with Many VLSd's after becoming heated up they simply refuse to work properly and your VLSD becomes a one tire fire and thats no good. So after looking for upgrades I stumbled across a few options. Since I have a J30 vlsd with 5 bolt output shafts I would have to switch back to the standard 240sx R200 differential housing in order to run a clutch type lsd. I sold my old diff and a clutch type lsd wasn't in my budget. Somehow I stumbled across Shimming. Shimming involves adding an extra shim(s) to the original preload shim and causes the vlsd to lock similarly to a clutch type lsd. This preload shim costs $10 from you local Nissan dealer so this is definitely worth the money.

-Add one shim and vlsd will act similarly to a 1.5 way lsd

-Add two shims it will act like a 2 way/welded diff.

Here is a picture of the Shim with part no: ( this fits both j30 and R200 diffs)

Here's your standard diff, Start By removing the diff from the car and unbolting the 8 bolts holding the diff cover on.

Once that is completed, separate the cover like so and before you put the new sealant on remember to scrap off all old sealant and I recommend using brakecleen to clean surfaces before applying sealant back on.

This is what you'll see:

Next before anything else knock out the output shafts. This takes quite a bit of effort but don't be scared they will eventually come out. I recommend hitting them from behind with a hammer:

Next you can take off the cap bolts like so:

IMPORTANT: Remember which side the shafts and caps cam from as to not mix them up

And this is what you're left with:

Next, it's time to pry out the differential. Unless you have superhuman strength you have to get it out using a bar that give leverage:

And end result:

Unless you have a very good impact gun the next part is almost impossible. Take these bolts out to separate the ring gear from the diff.

Next take off these two Phillips head screws.

Pry apart:

The Almighty shim:

Now take this and put it over the existing shim:

And now put the diff back together the same way you took it apart.

Impressions: Awesome locking compared to the stock vlsd can't complain.
Mtndrifter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to UNISA JECS
Here goes another link also:

http://www.d1nz.com/forum/viewtopic....561d68f2602e75
UNISA JECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:23 AM   #3
derek_s13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
derek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to derek_s13
i think this is one of those things that makes perfectly clear forehead-slapping sense once explained to you..

..but for some reason just did not even cross your mind ever before.

shimming a stock diff ACTUALLY works. duh.

so yeah, i feel stupid, but i'm glad you're intelligent. just wanted to say how cool i thought this write-up was.
derek_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:44 AM   #4
Mtndrifter14
Zilvia Member

Mtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to behold
Thanks man,

archive fact worthy?
Old 07-10-2008, 12:54 AM   #5
motegineon
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (2)
motegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to motegineon Send a message via MSN to motegineon
sweetness, now do you have to measure/do the backlash?

if so anyone got a link lol
motegineon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
awesomenick
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (33)
awesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
I was under the impression that our gear lash was set with washers? Do you have to change their configuration?
awesomenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
Mtndrifter14
Zilvia Member

nope no changes need to be made
Old 08-28-2008, 09:20 AM   #8
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
This works good, I had two friends do this 3 weeks ago
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:07 PM   #9
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Aren't you just causing the gear engagement between the spider gears in the diff to be more heel/root heavy and therefore bind up?

I don't see how this is an "awesome mod." You're just incorrectly adjusting spider gears. Once you get a gear incorrectly adjusted like that, there will be relatively movement between gears as they mesh, which will wear them down in short order. Wear in a diff means metal shavings, which will cause accelerated wear in other components and potentially massive failure.
Def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:21 PM   #10
motegineon

motegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond repute
well in that case dont drift or drive your car hard because your wearing it faster, inevitably causing your vehicle to fail..

btw im one of the people that shimmed my diff about a month ago and it is still fully locked and feels amazing
Old 09-13-2008, 03:46 AM   #11
quach
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
quach is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
how is a shimmed vlsd for daily driving? I'm getting sick of my welded diff since i only daily drive the car now, is it anything like a welded? Also, what are the long term ill effects of doing this to the diff?
quach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:47 PM   #12
motegineon

mine is exactly the same as a welded, but i have a lot thicker shims in mine than a lot of the people who just add a small on to tighten it up a tad, in that case it would feel just like a normal vlsd that just locks easier
Old 09-15-2008, 10:45 AM   #13
breakneckspeeds

breakneckspeeds is an unknown quantity at this point
I added 1 shim a couple weeks and its pretty tight, mine had a ratcheting sound on slow tight turns, but after breaking it in and a lsd additive the ratcheting has almost gone but there is a ton more lock than i thought there would be. if i knew how much there would be i might have only replaced the shim other than adding 1. how was breakin for everyone else??? any noise or just some tire chirping??
breakneckspeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #14
lazysk8er2
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
lazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Thumbs up

can anyone list the part number cuz the pics arent working for me if its on there gonan do this asap very much hating on my vlsd right now
lazysk8er2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:55 PM   #15
motegineon

-Shims go up in 0.3mm increments from 0.8 to 1.49mm

38424-40F60 =0.80mm(same as in the picture)
38424-40F67 =1.01mm
38424-40F75 =1.25mm
38424-40F83 =1.49mm (the biggest)
Old 09-21-2008, 09:14 PM   #16
MunsonAuto
Zilvia Member

MunsonAuto will become famous soon enoughMunsonAuto will become famous soon enoughMunsonAuto will become famous soon enoughMunsonAuto will become famous soon enoughMunsonAuto will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to MunsonAuto
Will this work with a stock open diff. too?
Old 09-21-2008, 09:28 PM   #17
motegineon

no

msg length
Old 09-22-2008, 03:51 PM   #18
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
Aren't you just causing the gear engagement between the spider gears in the diff to be more heel/root heavy and therefore bind up?

I don't see how this is an "awesome mod." You're just incorrectly adjusting spider gears. Once you get a gear incorrectly adjusted like that, there will be relatively movement between gears as they mesh, which will wear them down in short order. Wear in a diff means metal shavings, which will cause accelerated wear in other components and potentially massive failure.
I thought the viscous diffs just had viscous fluid engaging the plates inside the housing, thus transferring torque between the 2 wheels?

If so, there shouldn't be spider gears turning and being meshed and destroyed, no?
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:19 PM   #19
kouness
Zilvia Junkie

kouness has much to be proud ofkouness has much to be proud ofkouness has much to be proud ofkouness has much to be proud ofkouness has much to be proud ofkouness has much to be proud ofkouness has much to be proud ofkouness has much to be proud ofkouness has much to be proud ofkouness has much to be proud ofkouness has much to be proud of
wow this is awesome.. i have a vlsd lying around.. i need to do this before i throw it into my pumpkin.. nice...

95 Nissan 240sx: Q45 brake upgrade, v'tund lip
kouness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:53 PM   #20
Chrischeezer
Zilvia FREAK!

Chrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the rough
bumping a good old thread..

just took my lsd apart, had a 1.25mm shim in there from the factory (odd) and I could only get a .80mm and a 1.01mm from nissan, i installed both of them... think its gonig to fully lock?

edit: Update...

here is a very easy trick that will save you a headake when installing the diff back into the pumpkin.

-lift the whole pumpkin up with all the bearings and spacers aligned. and drop it on the drive shaft end. ( a nice 1 foot drop)
-use a phone book or somthing to drop it on.
-the impact(s) will pull the lsd bearings and spacers all into place effortlessly.

(took me about 4 drops and i couldn't believe it was that easy. lol

first impressions.. (awesome) It was fully locked but i did a few figure eights and it loosened up a bit. feels perfect.... super tight.

Last edited by Chrischeezer; 11-13-2008 at 12:11 AM..
Chrischeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:38 AM   #21
aziankingz
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (28)
aziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really nice
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
^ you wanna help me do mine lol?
aziankingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:52 AM   #22
SoSideways
Post Whore!

SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrischeezer View Post
-lift the whole pumpkin up with all the bearings and spacers aligned. and drop it on the drive shaft end. ( a nice 1 foot drop)
So I guess you can get buff while doing this too huh?

lol

The diff is like 100 pounds hahaha
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:59 AM   #23
smelly240
Nissanaholic!

smelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfection
i have this in my car as well.

best 4$ ever.

they're special order sometimes - i have an extra if anyone cant get a shim.

HREs on a S13 - check, 6262 - check, Girlfriend.... - nope
smelly240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:09 AM   #24
Chrischeezer
Zilvia FREAK!

Chrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by aziankingz View Post
^ you wanna help me do mine lol?
sure, pm me
Old 11-15-2008, 11:38 AM   #25
s13dan
Zilvia FREAK!

s13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enough
Tourqe specs for ring gear?

hey my VLSd (I know for sure its lsd)dosnt work at all never has no matter what fluid i use... So do you guy think i should just get the biggest shim. Im doing this asap ill be waiting on the dealership im sure.
89 240sx hatch #933-the hot rod
91 240sx coupe #131,603-the daily
s13dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:49 AM   #26
RUTH'LESSDET
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
RUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to RUTH'LESSDET
im all over this!!!
Old 11-17-2008, 02:56 PM   #27
Chrischeezer
Zilvia FREAK!

just wondering...
after shimming your LSD, does anyone get a slight whine/rolling noise from it? its not loud, but its definitely audible.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:06 PM   #28
Jtuned_andy
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (27)
Jtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
That whine/rolling noise is probably from improper gear mesh. I can't see how this is any good for the gears inside your differential.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:23 AM   #29
s13dan
Zilvia FREAK!

s13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13dan View Post
Tourqe specs for ring gear?
for real though anyone got them???
89 240sx hatch #933-the hot rod
91 240sx coupe #131,603-the daily
s13dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:49 AM   #30
smelly240
Nissanaholic!

smelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfection
impact wrench blast :P

HREs on a S13 - check, 6262 - check, Girlfriend.... - nope
smelly240 is offline   Reply With Quote