Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
davidg01234
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
davidg01234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
s13 rear toe problem

so im going through brand new tires in about a month or so with normal driving. my car is lowered and i have megan racing rucas and i leaned the wheels back out so the camber is pretty good even though its only done by eye. but the inner side of the rears tires keep getting eaten up like no tomorrow!!!!
also when on the freeway sometimes it feels like the rear of the car wants to just slide out. im thinking they are toed out or something. is this the case? if so how can i adjust the stock rear toe arms? or do i HAVE to buy aftermarket adjustable ones?
davidg01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
you did an alignment visually and expect it to be perfect. Your tire is driving on sandpaper....
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Pink Slut
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Pink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
toe-in WAY to much, i have the same man. get some rear toe control arms (i need them too haha)

stock arms will NOT give you enough. i tried (i worked at a tire/alignment place)
Old 07-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
davidg01234
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fckillerbee View Post
you did an alignment visually and expect it to be perfect. Your tire is driving on sandpaper....
I'm not expecting perfection at all. I just wanna know if toe out is my problem and if so how can I adjust it until I feel like spending 120 on a custom alignment
Old 07-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
davidg01234
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Slut View Post
toe-in WAY to much, i have the same man. get some rear toe control arms (i need them too haha)
Haha good to know I'm not alone! You sure its IN and not OUT?
Old 07-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
davidg01234
Zilvia Member

Quote:

stock arms will NOT give you enough. i tried (i worked at a tire/alignment place)
also which ones are you gonna go with?
Old 07-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg01234 View Post
I'm not expecting perfection at all. I just wanna know if toe out is my problem and if so how can I adjust it until I feel like spending 120 on a custom alignment
if the car is lowered at all. you will need rear toe. camber and toe go hand in hand. Stock has very little adjustments.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
davidg01234
Zilvia Member

Quote:
if the car is lowered at all. you will need rear toe. camber and toe go hand in hand. Stock has very little adjustments.
ok then ill just get some aftermarket toe arms and do it myself by eye lol anything to cut down on the tire wear just a little
Old 07-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
ZAKU
Leaky Injector

ZAKU is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
ok then ill just get some aftermarket toe arms and do it myself by eye lol anything to cut down on the tire wear just a little
Yeah... good luck with that. Do you understand that a proper alignment would completely stop your tire wear issues?
ZAKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #10
davidg01234
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAKU View Post
Yeah... good luck with that. Do you understand that a proper alignment would completely stop your tire wear issues?
Yes I do. I will get an alignment as soon as I feel like spending that much on one
Old 07-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Quote:
Yes I do. I will get an alignment as soon as I feel like spending that much on one
or you could keep buying tires?
Old 07-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #12
adrians_s13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (29)
adrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to adrians_s13
definitely get some rear toe arms. Once you lower your car (especially if you slam it), stock toe arms are useless as far as alignment goes. I have rucas and rear toe and I eye'ed my rear alignment (maybe about 3 months since I've last touched my rear suspension), and since then all seems well. I won't spend money on a real alignment because I'm not fully done with all my suspension arms purchase yet
Old 07-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #13
davidg01234
Zilvia Member

Quote:
or you could keep buying tires?
yes yes i know man i get it. Im gonna order some arms and do them by eye and then get a custom alignment a week or two later. customs alignments arent cheap
Old 07-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
davidg01234
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrians_s13 View Post
definitely get some rear toe arms. Once you lower your car (especially if you slam it), stock toe arms are useless as far as alignment goes. I have rucas and rear toe and I eye'ed my rear alignment (maybe about 3 months since I've last touched my rear suspension), and since then all seems well. I won't spend money on a real alignment because I'm not fully done with all my suspension arms purchase yet
so how has your tire wear been since you done it by eye? i mean yes i understand a real alignment is best but most people should be able to get it pretty damn close by eye. ive put new inner and outer tie rods on my front and lowered it and did it all by eye and my treads are PERFECT on the front
Old 07-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #15
Pink Slut
Zilvia Member

Pink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud of
i did my camber by eye, and it was off VERY little haha. if i would align a normal car wouldnt have changed it.
Toe in, deffo.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #16
davidg01234
Zilvia Member

Quote:
i did my camber by eye, and it was off VERY little haha. if i would align a normal car wouldnt have changed it.
Toe in, deffo.
Haha. OK so toe in wears the inside of the tire out? And toe out wears the outside of the tire out?
Old 07-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #17
Pink Slut
Zilvia Member

not really, depends on camber etc aswell, camber/toe/etc, all is connected, change 1 of the, the rest changes aswell. THATS why a good alignment is so important
Old 07-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #18
davidg01234
Zilvia Member

[QUOTE=Pink Slut;4792000]not really, depends on camber etc aswell, camber/toe/etc, all is connected, change 1 of the, the rest changes aswell. THATS why a good alignment is so important[/QUOTE

ya makes sense. thanks for your input man.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #19
adrians_s13
Post Whore!

adrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to adrians_s13
Quote:
so how has your tire wear been since you done it by eye? i mean yes i understand a real alignment is best but most people should be able to get it pretty damn close by eye. ive put new inner and outer tie rods on my front and lowered it and did it all by eye and my treads are PERFECT on the front
Surprisingly, not much tire wear. It was just the rears tho..
Old 07-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #20
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Dont fucking eye ball the alignment. Atleast use a measuring tape and make sure you have zero toe. The rears may not be parallel to the fronts (track will be off) but atleast your tires wont die.

Measure the front of the tires across. Then measure the rear of the tire at roughly same height/point. If they are even, then you have no toe. You want it to be as close as possible, like down to the 1/32 of an inch.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #21
KA-Life86
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
KA-Life86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Jesus christ I don't charge enough for alignments
KA-Life86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #22
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA-Life86 View Post
Jesus christ I don't charge enough for alignments
Thats what I'm saying...I paid $70 for my alignment at a small mom & pop shop out here. I told them I have aftermarket suspension and expected them to jack up the price. They said still $70. Had them set it to within factory specs, then just added more camber up front later down the road and slightly adjusted the toe to get them back to 0.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #23
davidg01234
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Dont fucking eye ball the alignment. Atleast use a measuring tape and make sure you have zero toe. The rears may not be parallel to the fronts (track will be off) but atleast your tires wont die.

Measure the front of the tires across. Then measure the rear of the tire at roughly same height/point. If they are even, then you have no toe. You want it to be as close as possible, like down to the 1/32 of an inch.
nice way of doing im gonna give that a shot
Old 07-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #24
davidg01234
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Thats what I'm saying...I paid $70 for my alignment at a small mom & pop shop out here. I told them I have aftermarket suspension and expected them to jack up the price. They said still $70. Had them set it to within factory specs, then just added more camber up front later down the road and slightly adjusted the toe to get them back to 0.
lucky you they all tell me no cuz its not factory suspension so i have to find a place thatll do a custom one
Old 07-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #25
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
You could string align it.
home alignment? - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #26
KrazyS13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (28)
KrazyS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
I go to the Firestone complete auto care by my house for my alignment.. I got the lifetime alignment service for 149.00(normally 169.00). Can take the car up there every month(for life) if I wanted too. Told them I had aftermarket arms and they didn't have a problem with that at all.
KrazyS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #27
davidg01234
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyS13 View Post
I go to the Firestone complete auto care by my house for my alignment.. I got the lifetime alignment service for 149.00(normally 169.00). Can take the car up there every month(for life) if I wanted too. Told them I had aftermarket arms and they didn't have a problem with that at all.
hmm ill give them a try too. pepboys, tildens, NTB, none of them would do it. thanks!