Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
braydo25
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
braydo25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
KA24E Ignition Timing... Need help ASAP.

So I just swapped my ka-e into my s13 that I rebuilt. And I redid the timing chain on it, chain is lined up perfectly, the ignition timing however was off when I went to check it.

So, I turned the engine over to the 2nd mark from the left on the crank pulley for 0tdc, made sure the engine was on the compression stroke at tdc, placed the dizzy to 2 o'clock looking straight from the front of the car (Bottom right, where cylinder 1 is) and taped it down to make sure it lined up. Got the drive gear in, and it lined up perfectly to a backwards D as the factory service manual says...

Now I go to start the car and it sounds worse than it did, I tried moving my ignition order around, 180ing my wires, still sounded terrible. It only ran a little better if I did the fine adjustment on the distributer by rotating it all the way for timing advance.

So my question is, since the factory spec for the ignition timing is 15* +/- 2* btdc, do I have to line the crank pulley up with the 5th mark from the left (15* btdc), and then line my ignition on my dizzy to cylinder 1 for the car to run correctly?

I'm at a lost, the car sounds like it's off timing and my plugs are doused in gas and smell like gasoline for what I'm assuming is my timing being off, plugs are turning black from being fouled by all the gas and bad timing I'm assuming,

Any ideas? I've been playing with this for 2 days and need it running by the weekend for an event.
braydo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2012, 03:09 AM   #2
booey13
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (91)
booey13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 91 reviews
Sounds like you might be a tooth off on your timing chain
Old 09-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
braydo25
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
braydo25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I dn't think that's it. At 0 tdc the cam gear knotch is exactly at 12 o'clock, dead on. And the car actually ran, although not well the first time before I tried retiming the dizzy. Now it just runs terribly.
braydo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:52 AM   #4
iveexcaped3
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
iveexcaped3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
did you take out the oil pump? when you start it does your oil light come on? is the firing order right on your dizzy to the right cyl? double check all your lines and make sure your injectors are bolted in tight and not leaking
iveexcaped3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:54 PM   #5
Kaiba
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Kaiba is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sorry to hijack the dead thread. I'm having a similar issue. Redid the timing chain, then the motor ran like garbage. Tore it all back down to check, all seemed good. Only now the motor won't even turn over. Cam and crank align just how they should, dizzy shaft is at 11:45 backwards D. Maybe my rotor isn't pointing the way it should? Anybody have a photo of where is should be at TDC?
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote