Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-03-2016, 02:15 PM   #1
Jsmith.x
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Jsmith.x is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
240sx v8 questions

Hello, new to the forums. I'm looking at putting my 1jz sc300 up for sale soon in order to pick up a s13 coupe or Silvia and swapping a LS or lq9 into it. I've been lurking around and a lot of what I find is off older posts.

I'm wondering what is the realistic price range for the swap itself. The car is going to be made for track/street use. I'm even considering trying to trade my sc for one that only really needs mild work.

Reason I'm asking is because I'd rather hear from the experienced guys rather than someone on Facebook saying " oh my friend did this " or someone at a meet claiming things can't be done. I'd also want to have it to where he hood doesn't need spacers as I'm not a fan of it.

Thank you very much guys!
Jsmith.x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2016, 02:24 PM   #2
Sergio180sx
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (24)
Sergio180sx is on the path to ruinSergio180sx is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Just swap a vh45, its waaaaay cheaper and it sounds better than a ls or lq, its more than enough power for a track car. Your looking to spend about $6k depending how good you are on getting deals thats what we did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftOutlaw View Post
No not at the moment but an easy fix. just swap the motor I have in and take the old one out.
Sergio180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:30 PM   #3
Jsmith.x
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio180sx View Post
Just swap a vh45, its waaaaay cheaper and it sounds better than a ls or lq, its more than enough power for a track car. Your looking to spend about $6k depending how good you are on getting deals thats what we did.
Is 6k matched up with the manual tranny, parts. I can realistically do most of the labor myself except for wiring. And I heard with the vh there is fitment issues and how's the aftermarket on the vh??

Sorry for all the noob questions, I'm a JZ guy lol
Old 03-03-2016, 02:31 PM   #4
delado
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
delado is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
You missed a really critical point. Reliability. Something the VH45 lacks compared to an LS or LQ. If he's looking to go the cheap route, then LQ9 is a good option. Sorry but VH is just old and tired and not to mention the crappy design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
That's because everyone with a zenki feels sorry for themselves and they find commonality in the fact that there's no hope for making them look remotely good.
delado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #5
Jsmith.x
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by delado View Post
You missed a really critical point. Reliability. Something the VH45 lacks compared to an LS or LQ. If he's looking to go the cheap route, then LQ9 is a good option. Sorry but VH is just old and tired and not to mention the crappy design.

Reliability is a big factor. As it would still be a street car. I might try to pick up a cheap little ford ranger but would like to be able to daily the car if I so please. That's why I'm drawn towards the lq and LS. I know the LQ would be by far cheaper but I'm curious on the actual price points. I just want to do something a little different than what I'm used to with my SC
Old 03-03-2016, 02:57 PM   #6
Sergio180sx
Nissanaholic!

We haven't had any issues with the vh and the lq is a heavy motor, the biggest mod on the vh swap is just some easy firewall banging and the frame rails are tight with headers we used a z32 5spd, you can buy everything these days is made to bolt and wire right up like cake

Oem kept and raised about a inch to keep the look, hate spacers and vents
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Quote:
No not at the moment but an easy fix. just swap the motor I have in and take the old one out.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:32 PM   #7
Jsmith.x
Leaky Injector

Quote:
We haven't had any issues with the vh and the lq is a heavy motor, the biggest mod on the vh swap is just some easy firewall banging and the frame rails are tight with headers we used a z32 5spd, you can buy everything these days is made to bolt and wire right up like cake

Oem kept and raised about a inch to keep the look, hate spacers and vents
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Gorgeous car. Basically the look I'm going for Except adding bolt on over fenders because it's always been a personal style of mine. I know lots of people hate it but I like it. I hate hood spacers too, would rather the hood sit flush. How my SC currently is sitting lol

Old 03-03-2016, 05:14 PM   #8
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
some poor s-chassis is currently parked in a florida best buy parking lot, not even aware of how doomed it is yet
Old 03-04-2016, 05:47 AM   #9
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
kashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by delado View Post
Sorry but VH is just old and tired and not to mention the crappy design.

????
What lol
The vh is a much more technologically advanced design, where the hell do you get your opinions man, ls1forums? Classic Chevy fanboy attitude . The vh is Dohc all aluminum, has valve timing etc. the lq is a pushrod engine that is basically the same v8 Chevy has always made, with a few modern bits on it.

Plus the vh is Nissan...........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kashira kureijii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:58 AM   #10
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
If you decided to go GM V8 look at the 4.8 version. I can find them locally here in Texas for under $500 all day. Not saying the swap is cheap or cheaper but you can find the 4.8 for cheaper than the LS1, LQ9 etc most of the time. The LQ4 is a good choice just make sure it's 01+....if it's the earlier versions it has a slightly different dimension and causes some firmest issues with the T56.

I agree the LSx design is "old" but why would they change a winning formula. The LSx platform has been used and abused so many times and it has proven it works in so many applications drifting, Le Mans, drag, auto cross. The motors are not that heavy so I think that argument is somewhat silly unless you are HELLBENT on saving every ounce of weight. Plus the simplicity of working on those motors is awesome.

Not a fanboy here as I have had a turbo Ka, built 3 SR20s, and setup a 750+rwhp 2JZ setup.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:30 AM   #11
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

kashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchboost View Post

I agree the LSx design is "old" but why would they change a winning formula. The LSx platform has been used and abused so many times and it has proven it works in so many applications drifting, Le Mans, drag, auto cross. The motors are not that heavy so I think that argument is somewhat silly unless you are HELLBENT on saving every ounce of weight. Plus the simplicity of working on those motors is awesome.
I getcha bro
VK isn't a "crappy" design was the point, I know everyone loves the cheapness and stuff of the LSx.

Just alotta fanboys out there that will believe anything, theres a bunch of propaganda out there saying it's like gods engine gift to man or some shit, when in reality it is just a cheap abusable engine with parts availability.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:24 AM   #12
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I wouldn't say 6k is out of the realm of possibility by any means, but it depends on your set up.

500 truck engine, 2400 sikky kit with headers , 1500 t56, car intake manifold $300 [?] brings you to 4700, still going to need to figure out power steering stuff, a full exhaust, and if you wanna make more than 250hp, a tune. $6000 sounds about realistic.
tuzzio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:09 AM   #13
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

For sure Kashira I totally get you and there lots of fan boys but that's for every aspect of the cars. Trust me go hang out with some Supra guys and they get the same shit lol. Oh and don't forget the Ford guys.

Whip btw OP you might want to look into. A guy here in Austin has a nice 5.0 S13 but doesn't post anywhere. From what I understand it was a rather simple and DIY swap and a few places are now making mounts for them. I think when I spoke to the guy he was like $5k in and kept AC. I sent the harness of to be made but I can't remember the company. Still waiting for someone to drop that nasty 5.0 Coyote in there to see what she can do.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:43 AM   #14
Jsmith.x
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
I wouldn't say 6k is out of the realm of possibility by any means, but it depends on your set up.

500 truck engine, 2400 sikky kit with headers , 1500 t56, car intake manifold $300 [?] brings you to 4700, still going to need to figure out power steering stuff, a full exhaust, and if you wanna make more than 250hp, a tune. $6000 sounds about realistic.

I have this that I bought off a guy for 350$ But I was wondering if it was worth dropping in. It's the 5.7L LS.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:30 PM   #15
badbob2121
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
badbob2121 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Its expensive. I have a lot more than $6k into my swap, but I love it.

Don't forget about the little items, such as a new Wilwood master cylinder/clutch/flywheel, fuel setup (use a c5 filter/regulator), KA radiator, radiator fans, finding radiator hoses, intake pipe setup, finishing the exhaust, tuning, wiring, gaskets, new hardware and replacing basic maintenance items as you should with any used engine. It adds up.

But overall the swap is pretty easy to complete, I just hated getting the headers in place.

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM = BOBBY_LS13
badbob2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:30 PM   #16
NISR20MO
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (29)
NISR20MO is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob2121 View Post
Its expensive. I have a lot more than $6k into my swap

Don't forget about the little items

I just hated getting the headers in place
3 most important bits lol
NISR20MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:55 PM   #17
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

The 5.7 is the GM aluminum block commonly referred to as the LS1. If it's not badly damaged then hell yes.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:31 AM   #18
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Opinion for opinion, I'd go 2J before LS, thats just me. Its a preference and equally as expensive.
tuzzio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:23 PM   #19
Jsmith.x
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
Opinion for opinion, I'd go 2J before LS, thats just me. Its a preference and equally as expensive.

I already have a 1jz vvti Sc300, I have a ls1 taken apart with the Pistons, block, etc. not every little thing, buts it's already ported and polished. I'm just looking at doing something different, already had 3 different JZ's
Old 03-08-2016, 12:09 PM   #20
Sergio180sx
Nissanaholic!

Here you go bro all the hard and expensive work is done just find yourself a z tranny and your golden. I just talked to him and its still available

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=625243
Quote:
Old 03-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #21
jds

jds is making a name for him/her selfjds is making a name for him/her self
starts out as im gonna spend 6k but ends up turning into 10k+ after all the little things add up. At least it did for me, oh i'll just spend this $800 for this awesome intake manifold, $400 for heads, etc. building the motor becomes addicting. but its almost ready for track, dropping another $650 for a tune, and still need a cage haha.
jds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #22
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashira kureijii View Post
I getcha bro
VK isn't a "crappy" design was the point, I know everyone loves the cheapness and stuff of the LSx.

Just alotta fanboys out there that will believe anything, theres a bunch of propaganda out there saying it's like gods engine gift to man or some shit, when in reality it is just a cheap abusable engine with parts availability.
i have a buddy whose on his 3rd ls motor on a car he only drives at the track hes had better reliability with a sr20 then the "unbreakable ls1"
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:27 AM   #23
badbob2121
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB25GUY View Post
i have a buddy whose on his 3rd ls motor on a car he only drives at the track hes had better reliability with a sr20 then the "unbreakable ls1"

There are a lot of variables here that could cause his issues. If he's buying junk yard 5.3's and isn't going through them before dropping them in, I can see why he has issues. I highly doubt he has gone through 3 5.7 aluminum blocks unless he bought them with 170k+ miles.

I have been running my LS HARD for 3 years now. I change the oil after every event or two. To date the only issue I have had is I burnt up a power steering pump ($60 at a local parts store and had it the next day). Couldn't really say that about my SR20.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:37 AM   #24
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB25GUY View Post
interesting
being pushrods I doubt they are very revvy on a track either haha

but bro this meme says that from the view from the top I4's are just too big.

Or this that says that a bathhurst winning engine with all sorts of tech, is much much heavier than an "little pushrod v8 minus it's giant flywheel heavy trans and most of it's components". meme's are always right bro

and my favorite meme that u see on FB everyday, can't find a pic though
these junkyard 5.3's make 1400 hp on stock internals bro! and they last!

my aunt had leprosy, and she touched an LS and it cured her!

shit gets old man
Old 03-11-2016, 11:45 AM   #25
racer98
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (128)
racer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 128 reviews
Send a message via AIM to racer98 Send a message via MSN to racer98
VH45 + turbo = rear mount radiator. call it aday. GM makes a great rental car.
racer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:56 AM   #26
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer98 View Post
VH45 + turbo = rear mount radiator. call it aday. GM makes a great rental car.
look what you've done guys, you've angered the OG's.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:36 PM   #27
badbob2121
Zilvia FREAK!

I can respect VH45 swaps, but a healthy stock swap will only make what, 260whp? Swap for Swap, a VH is less powerful compared to an LS and has less potential as a naturally aspirated engine.

Less engine bay room to work around compared to the LS.
WAY less aftermarket support compared to an LS.
More complex engineering compared to the LS.

Pushrods FTW

Old 03-11-2016, 01:22 PM   #28
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob2121 View Post
There are a lot of variables here that could cause his issues. If he's buying junk yard 5.3's and isn't going through them before dropping them in, I can see why he has issues. I highly doubt he has gone through 3 5.7 aluminum blocks unless he bought them with 170k+ miles.

I have been running my LS HARD for 3 years now. I change the oil after every event or two. To date the only issue I have had is I burnt up a power steering pump ($60 at a local parts store and had it the next day). Couldn't really say that about my SR20.

nope def ls1's minor mods cam head work upgraded push rods hes broken a tranzilla too lol
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:51 PM   #29
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Lol the LS hate is great. As far as breaking LS1s and Tranzillas...your friend has shit luck or has bought defective parts. Plenty of 200k+ mile setups down here taking absolute abuse. The T56 Magnum in stock form is rated at less HP/TQ capacity than the Tranzilla and has taken an RX7 into the 9's all day at 1060 rwhp. There is a Chevelle down here pushing 900+ ft/lbs. and still ticking after a year of abuse. Revving...4.8 or destroked 6.0 will have with some work will have you playing in the 8k+ RPM world no issues....more than enough for a V8.

So many variables can be the cause for the failure of 3 LS1's but I cant say I have heard of many people damaging that many motors. You do realize that most LS1's become damaged because of the weaker Gen3 designed Rods and Bolts about 70% of the time. Plenty of 700+rwhp LS1's with gapped rings, boost, and upgraded rods and/or rod bolts.

Not an LS bandwagoner but cant deny results. I can appreciate any good solid build like that M3-RB26 on this forums. Pretty much any configuration you can think of has been dropped into an S-Chassis but its hard to beat the power capacity-to-cost of the LS based builds.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:43 PM   #30
alwaysnboost
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
alwaysnboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ls hate is hilarious
alwaysnboost is offline   Reply With Quote