Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 06-22-2023, 03:11 PM   #1
Carbonsnail

Trader Rating: (0)
Carbonsnail is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Speed Sensor question

I have a manual 1992 S13 whose speedometer works but the odometer does not. Will a new speed sensor fix this problem? Thank you in advance.
Carbonsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2023, 07:25 PM   #2
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
No, the speed sensor drives both and if it were bad they would both be dead.

This is a mechanical failure in the odometer drive, there's a stepper motor which drives some nylon gears, the gears can slip out of line and get stripped.

https://imgur.com/a/kgCLBOO

You can see the stripped gear here, it's the one driven by the worm gear on the stepper motor.

In mine I moved the gear back into place, used a dab of CA glue to try to keep it from sliding sideways on the shaft again, used a small pick to re-form the gear teeth a bit, then added a fresh drop of 3in1 oil. It's been working fine since!

Last edited by AKADriver; 06-22-2023 at 08:03 PM..
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 06:46 PM   #3
Carbonsnail

Trader Rating: (0)
Carbonsnail is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
@AKADriver: Thank you very much for taking the time and effort. Your info and photo greatly helped me, and I may decide to forego removing the panel and trying to fix it. Thanks again,
have a great summer.
Carbonsnail is offline   Reply With Quote