Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 10-22-2023, 01:52 PM   #1
Rambo slice
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
Rambo slice is on the path to ruinRambo slice is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Angry KA24DE sluggish/weak start

Bought this car that was daily driven. Previous owner said it started to give him starting issues until it eventually stopped starting completely, he would jump it until that didnt work anymore then parked it for a year(he knew nothing mechanically). I installed brand new starter and battery. I can turn the engine with a breaker bar, it has oil, when i look in the engine the tops of the cylinders are black, has new starter and battery. Tried push starting it but when I release the clutch pedal rear end just locks up. Is it a timing issue? compression issue? It's frustratingly beyond my knowledge...

1st vid of weak start
https://youtu.be/cQGraoorXVc

same vid with spark plugs removed
https://youtube.com/shorts/gVna1dc3W3A?feature=share

If anyone has dealt with this before and knows what the problem is your help would be greatly appreciated!
Rambo slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2023, 11:34 PM   #2
wezurii
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
wezurii is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Compression test it
Are all the grounds connected ?
Is the wiring okay ?
Are all the connectors connected
Does it get enough power on the starter ?

Sounds like it either loses compression or doesn't get enough power to start.
wezurii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 08:10 AM   #3
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Test for spark and compression. Fuel as well, however you prefer to do this. If you have all of those, check your base timing.

Set Cyl 1 to TDC on compression stroke. Pop the valve cover and look down the timing chain passage to where the distributor enters the head. There is a timing mark and a dot (like a divet) that need to line up. One is on the distributor gear shaft and the other is on the body of the distributor. If they are not lined up, pull the distributor and reinstall so that they do. This may require a few tries. You can also verify that the rotor contact is perfectly lined up with Cyl 1 on the cap. I prefer to use the timing mark on the distributor itself as it is more concrete and requires less guess work, even if it does mean pulling the valve cover.
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 04:45 PM   #4
ch1873857
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
ch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ch1873857
How many miles. Do nothing else until you comp test. If low, put an ounce or so of oil down the plug well and repeat. If comp jumps up, you have bad rings. Based on what you said it's likely rings.
ch1873857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 08:12 PM   #5
Rambo slice
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1873857 View Post
How many miles. Do nothing else until you comp test. If low, put an ounce or so of oil down the plug well and repeat. If comp jumps up, you have bad rings. Based on what you said it's likely rings.
Ok ill do this tomorrow
Old 10-23-2023, 08:16 PM   #6
Rambo slice
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
Test for spark and compression. Fuel as well, however you prefer to do this. If you have all of those, check your base timing.

Set Cyl 1 to TDC on compression stroke. Pop the valve cover and look down the timing chain passage to where the distributor enters the head. There is a timing mark and a dot (like a divet) that need to line up. One is on the distributor gear shaft and the other is on the body of the distributor. If they are not lined up, pull the distributor and reinstall so that they do. This may require a few tries. You can also verify that the rotor contact is perfectly lined up with Cyl 1 on the cap. I prefer to use the timing mark on the distributor itself as it is more concrete and requires less guess work, even if it does mean pulling the valve cover.
I dont see how spark or fuel would make it seem so sluggish
Old 10-24-2023, 06:38 AM   #7
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo slice View Post
I dont see how spark or fuel would make it seem so sluggish
Given the below, I assumed the car doesn't start at all... Either way, weak spark or a fucked up fuel system will make any engine run less than stellar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo slice View Post
until it eventually stopped starting completely, he would jump it until that didnt work anymore then parked it for a year(he knew nothing mechanically). I installed brand new starter and battery. I can turn the engine with a breaker bar, it has oil, when i look in the engine the tops of the cylinders are black, has new starter and battery. Tried push starting it but when I release the clutch pedal rear end just locks up.
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 02:56 PM   #8
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
That intake manifold bolt that's right in the middle of the video is supposed to be connected directly to the battery with the heavy gauge ground cable. It's one big cable that goes from battery to the chassis right below the battery tray to that bolt. Without that the starter is relying on a much weaker ground path, unless you relocated the battery and added a new dedicated heavy gauge engine ground somewhere.

When it makes the high pitched "whizz" that sounds like the starter bendix isn't fully extending so it's spinning the motor but not making flywheel contact.

It's a new starter but it's not an OEM starter, there's a chance the starter could also be a POS. Lots of aftermarket and reman starters and alternators are defective. My car has a reman starter and it works but it kinda... sucks and cranks slowly even though my battery is good and engine is healthy.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 04:12 PM   #9
Rambo slice
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
That intake manifold bolt that's right in the middle of the video is supposed to be connected directly to the battery with the heavy gauge ground cable. It's one big cable that goes from battery to the chassis right below the battery tray to that bolt. Without that the starter is relying on a much weaker ground path, unless you relocated the battery and added a new dedicated heavy gauge engine ground somewhere.
The battery was relocated by the owner before the kid i bought it from. Its not great but it is chassis grounded in the trunk.
Old 10-26-2023, 09:29 PM   #10
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
I think you may still need a better engine ground. As it is it's kind of relying on the small ground strap on the firewall as its main engine ground. This could be where the problem started for the PO and why it would start from a jump.

Can't hurt to try, grab a jumper cable and just whack it from the motor to a big chassis bolt and see if that helps.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote