Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
SR20 Strange Starting Issue (researched)

Alright guys, this is my first official post on zilvia besides in the FS section- LOVE the forum so far and all of the information that is available here. I recently purchased a 93 SR20 swapped 240sx hatch and was enjoying the car for about two weeks until this latest debacle...

I left the lights on for about four hours and killed the battery, which is a genesis slim battery. The previous owner seems to have been a little lazy and didnt run a relocation kit to the trunk, which I have since purchased and have yet to install.

Anyway, I had a friend come over and attempt to jump the car for me. The car was completely dead, so we left his car hooked up for about a half hour. After a few tries the car would turn over, but would not fire. We gave up for the night since we couldnt get the car to actually start.

The next day, I had another friend come out to give me a hand and try jumping the car. This time, the car wouldnt even turn over. The starter would not even click and the car had no power. I realized that the alternator fuse had blown (75A), so I replaced that and restored power to the car. The lights, dash lights, etc all worked now, but still nothing from the starter.

I charged the battery as well as trying a new battery, but nothing from the starter. I next read some threads and tried replacing the starter relay, but still the same thing- nothing from the starter at all.

At this point, we tried roll starting the car. I needed to get it home from school, but we couldnt get the car to actually fire. It sounded like it wanted to start, but never sounded like it was actually running and didnt respond to throttle or clutch inputs. We towed the car home and I graduated from school, so Im now home with the car.

The first thing I did when I got it in the garage is pull the starter and have it tested at autozone. Everything with the starter and solenoid checked out and worked as it should. Today I tested the clutch relay and the clutch switch. When I attempt to start without pushing the clutch in, the starter relay doesnt click. When I try with the clutch in, the starter relay clicks, so the problem must be from the starter relay back to the starter.

Im stumped at this point and Im open to any suggestions. My suspicion is that it's something in the wiring from the starter relay to the starter. I dont really understand what could have gone from attempting to start the car, unless a lot of power got backfed through the wiring.

Feel free to let me hit me with anything I should consider or try, Im stumped right now and would like to get the car running so I can start on the mess that is an engine bay. Thanks in advance and sorry about the novel.

-Damon
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Just a little more info from messing with the car yesterday...

Installed a new battery and that helped a bit. The starter is getting power and when we short out the starter, the car turns over but will not fire. Starter still will not engage when the key is turned, only when shorted out. We pulled a spark plug and the car does not seem to be getting spark... sound like an ECU issue to anyone else?
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote