Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:52 PM   #1
azsr20det
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
azsr20det is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brake lights stay on- plug missing-help

Finally connected the battery today to attempt to start my car thats been sitting for 6 years that I completely brought back to life, (it didnt start fuel pump is out- go figure) and noticed the brake lights stay on (battery is in the trunk hard to miss the tails) Then it occured to me this happened before right before I stopped working on it and i had bought the little oem green gummy looking plug that goes at the top of the pedal to press the button that turns off the brakes (awful way to do it imo) decided hey while I wait for my pump to arrive, ill fix that. So watch some videos that only show where the hole is either before or after they fix it and never the actual process how)

At the top of the brake pedal arm theres a hole that is supposed to have a little plastic plug in it and it sits against a button that when pressed, turns off the brake light so when the pedal is not pressed it pushes the button and as you press the brake it lets off causing the light to come on. Well the plug was missing so the button isnt getting pushed, so getting the new one in without tearing the whole front of the car apart is near impossible and i ended up losing the plug.

So in most of the youtube videos they did it hella cheap (even tho the oem
Part was hella cheap) and used like a bolt or penny, as long as it sticks
Out to press the button. So i literally started gluing pennies over the hole because basically as long as the button is pushed when the pedal is released your good to go. Well im at 5 pennies stacked and every time the battery is connected theres the brake lights.

So tomorrow im going to try adding a quarter in case its not reaching high enough but im wondering if it could be anything else? My only other guess would be the aftermarket tails (i got those ebay ricer silver altezza hatch tails but vinyl wrapped the outers red and the center clear oil slick) but tails dont make sense because all that plugs in are the bulbs into the factory harness, the wiring to the plugs sending power is what determines if they on, not the bulbs themselves right?

Im super confused why the button isnt being pushed or if it is where the problem could be
azsr20det is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2018, 10:16 PM   #2
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You shouldn't have to stack pennies over that hole in the pedal arm. The brake light switch is threaded and you should be able to thread it further into the bracket, towards the pedal arm, until the button is depressed when the pedal is up.

Basically turn the key on, and thread the switch in until the brake lights turn off. Easier to do when it's dark out
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:04 AM   #3
Shifty671
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (51)
Shifty671 is on the path to ruinShifty671 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 51 reviews
I put a bolt where the plastic bumper went that presses the button. Use one long enough that is pushes the bottom but not too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shifty671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:05 AM   #4
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I went to the dealer and ordered the correct rubber pedal plug. its like $10.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:18 AM   #5
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
my bumper disappeared too...used iirc 14mm head bolt with 2 nuts to keep position on the pedal...its a lame way to kill your battery or have people honk at you cuz they think youre brake checking them lol!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:01 PM   #6
azsr20det
Leaky Injector

I had originally gotten the oem bumper but lost it under the dash trying to get it in, my fingers are too big to get in there and kept dropping it. Decided to try putting a dab of super glue on it and using a screwdriver to push it into place but it fell off and got stuck somewhere and i cant find it. May try the bolt idea later today if i cant get it with coins, i dunno how people got the penny to work because like i said i tried one with no luck and kept adding more and at this point ive got a few stuck there and everytime i connect the battery they still stay on :/ i was happy though that my fog lights work so at least thats a plus
Old 05-01-2018, 12:02 PM   #7
azsr20det
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
You shouldn't have to stack pennies over that hole in the pedal arm. The brake light switch is threaded and you should be able to thread it further into the bracket, towards the pedal arm, until the button is depressed when the pedal is up.

Basically turn the key on, and thread the switch in until the brake lights turn off. Easier to do when it's dark out
Ill try this but when looking at it the switch literally sits lined up with the hole so without something blocking it im having 0 luck
Old 05-01-2018, 03:47 PM   #8
azsr20det
Leaky Injector

We can lock this thread, like a dumbass i put the coins on the wrong hole, when i really got under there to look to see if the coins were pressing i looked next to it and saw that the switch was still not plugged and my 30 cents was stacked NEXT TO IT lmao took 1 penny and got it fixed
Old 05-01-2018, 07:32 PM   #9
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Should have REALLY got under there in the first place.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:30 PM   #10
oLemurs
Zilvia Member

oLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura about
you can turn the car on, push the brake pedal to get enough room and when you get it to where it holds jam a screw driver between the rubber thing and pedal. after that you pull the pedal torwards yourself and pry a little with the screwdriver and it should pop in, this is what i did and it toook like half a minute
oLemurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:09 PM   #11
Xaser
Zilvia Junkie

Xaser is an unknown quantity at this point
i bought the oem bumper on ebay, 7 bucks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NISSAN-300Z...Jazio0&vxp=mtr
Xaser is offline   Reply With Quote