Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
JDMbyBlood
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (24)
JDMbyBlood is a jewel in the roughJDMbyBlood is a jewel in the roughJDMbyBlood is a jewel in the roughJDMbyBlood is a jewel in the roughJDMbyBlood is a jewel in the roughJDMbyBlood is a jewel in the roughJDMbyBlood is a jewel in the roughJDMbyBlood is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
SR (SR) Turbonetics and manifold fitments issues...Need some help.

Purchased a Turbonetics turbo and the seller included a new ebay manifold. Pulled my t28 off to install the top mount set up and this is what I ran into. (Pics below.) Anybody else run into this issue where the turbo just wont fit using the cheap ebay manifold? The exhaust housing hits the MBC and the brake line are in the way of the downpipe. I cant even bolt the turbo down. Was this manifold designed for a RHD where you don't have the MBC in the way? I'm new to the top mount set ups. With the turbo shown, what reasonable priced manifold will work with this turbo?
Thanks.....

JDMbyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
niscur29
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (14)
niscur29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
I have a Peakboost Top mount setup and it clears everything including PS (for sure) and AC (supposedly). No interference with the brakes or anything...FYI whatever you end up doing to get it to work, wrap that downpipe and housing to prevent all that heat from melting shit around it.
niscur29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ive heard of some people switching to z32 mbc and such. to clear top mounts. but it could just be poor design from ebay mani.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
That's ebay for ya! Get a good manifold and solve your issues.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
SLiDe_WaYz
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
SLiDe_WaYz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Couldnt you just re clock the turbo?
Old 08-14-2011, 10:04 PM   #6
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLiDe_WaYz View Post
Couldnt you just re clock the turbo?
And that would do exactly what? You can'T change the orientation of the exhaust housing since its what's bolted to the manifold.

Simply put, its a shitty manifold design. Most LHD top mount flanges needs to be slightly tweaked towards the engine to clear the BMC and steering shaft (when you install/fab up the DP).

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!

Last edited by fliprayzin240sx; 08-15-2011 at 05:00 PM..
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
SLiDe_WaYz
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
SLiDe_WaYz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Looking at the picture I was thinking if you re clocked it it would clear the brake lines where it's making contact.

That why I said, couldn't he just reclock the turbo.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:30 PM   #8
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
You can't reclock the orietation of the housing to the flange, it's a cast single piece.

You could try heating the manifold and trying to push the flange location 'inward'. Ghetto idea, but it's a 150 dollar manifold so worth a shot.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 08-14-2011, 11:12 PM   #9
JDMbyBlood
Zilvia Junkie

JDMbyBlood is a jewel in the roughJDMbyBlood is a jewel in the roughJDMbyBlood is a jewel in the roughJDMbyBlood is a jewel in the roughJDMbyBlood is a jewel in the roughJDMbyBlood is a jewel in the roughJDMbyBlood is a jewel in the roughJDMbyBlood is a jewel in the rough
Thanks to all that replied. I've read on the net where the manifolds tend to crack. I was planning on having the manifold braced, but before having that done I wanted to check fitment. I was a bit surprised fitment was so off. I didnt think fitment was a issue with these manifolds. I guess I was wrong. *LOL*
Old 08-14-2011, 11:35 PM   #10
JDMbyBlood
Zilvia Junkie

I was informed that the turbo is 2 large for this manifold. Does the higher end manifolds place the turbo closer to the engine for better fitment? Can I even use this turbo I have? As stated, I'm new to the top mount set ups. Any help is greatly appreciated...
Thanks.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:54 AM   #11
codyace
Post Whore!

Seeing it today, it does seem that the turbo may be T4 flange, wehre the manifold is T3.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #12
Zerolift Autolab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
Zerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Zerolift Autolab
The Ebay/China Turbo manifolds are generally "clocked" to point the mouth of the turbo straight forward, which will cause you some brake master clearance problems.

The exhaust housing on that turbo looks pretty massive, which may be a T4 as said above.
Easy to compare T3 to T4 if you measure the bolt holes on the turbo.
I have a GT3076R here that measures diagonally at 3 13/16" center to center of bolt hole.

There are only a few quality Top Mount manifolds left for the SR's out there.
Mazworx, Doc Race, and of course Full-Race.

If I can help with anything, please let me know.
Thanks,
Robert
Email - [email protected]

Zerolift facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Zerolift

Zerolift Autolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:05 AM   #13
Grimace
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
Grimace is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Grimace
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
That's ebay for ya! Get a good manifold and solve your issues.
Im having the same issues with my "good" manifold as I did with my ebay and other no name brand manifold. In fact, my cheaper ones held up longer.

I've found with the lower end manifolds, you cant run a Z32 master with them. The way it places the turbo pretty much screws you on that. You could however run the RHD master which places the brake lines on the opposite side.

Also, as already stated that rear housing looks pretty huge.
Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:03 PM   #14
codyace
Post Whore!

Any tubular manifold runs the risk of cracking...I'll be the first to say that I don't think any are that much stronger than the rest; there are steps you can take to prevent them from cracking (bracing the turbo is one that many skip for some reason), but left in stock form they all will destroy themselves.

Zooming in on the holes, that looks T4 flange for sure.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #15
JDMbyBlood
Zilvia Junkie

As I said above I'm new to top mount set ups so please bare with me. I'm assuming I have a t3 turbo and a combo t3/t4 manifold. I took some pics of the manifold and turbo. Maybe you guys can tell me a little more about the turbo. I was told that it was good for 500hp, not that I'd ever see that kind of hp.... I need to know if I will be able to use this turbo or do I need to get rid of it and get a different one. I really hope I can keep this one. Don't want to lose money before I even get started....

Old 08-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #16
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
You got a damn part number so why dont you google it up. Better yet, go to the Turbonetics websited and search which turbo it is using the same part number.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #17
JDMbyBlood
Zilvia Junkie

^^Thanks for the tip, but I already went to turbonectics site and when doing a search for T-26273, I get: Your search yielded no results