Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #1621
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Well at least you had a buddy with a trans. Good to hear that you'll be up and running sooner then later.
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #1622
sex14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
sex14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
did that red 180 use to be from WA? owned by nikoly?
sex14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:06 PM   #1623
kyles1988
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
kyles1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
yup. i bought it
kyles1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #1624
Z_Spool
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Z_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You need to just put that info in your sig, as often as it gets asked.
Z_Spool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #1625
va240dude
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (161)
va240dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 161 reviews
Damon! Sucks about the tranny man, but I'm sure you'll have one in there in no time.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:44 PM   #1626
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Yikes. Dealing with the transmission in a garage with jack stands blows. I recently just changed my clutch and I had two other friends of mine help me get it back up. A combination of angle, leverage, twisting, turning, and pushing it all in and hoping it doesn't put up a fight. LOL.

However, I'm not too strong so maybe that was the issue.

Good luck!
Old 08-11-2011, 11:50 PM   #1627
Slammed180
Zilvia FREAK!

Slammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of light
^ I had to do that in my girls R32....by myself. I swore lots.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:58 PM   #1628
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
nothing says panic like having a transmission fall out onto your chest wedged between the transmission tunnel and you on the floor while you live in a state that can have an earthquake at any moment. fun times.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:57 AM   #1629
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
For sure, lol. I'm having a friend come out and help me, but I'll probably swing by good ol' Harbor Freight on Monday before I pull the old one out and pick up a transmission jack. No sense in killing ourselves when they make a tool that should solve the problem for the most part, haha.

My chicken arms aren't exactly prepared to manhandle a transmission, lol.

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:36 AM   #1630
MidwestMyriad
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
MidwestMyriad is making a name for him/her selfMidwestMyriad is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiboy002 View Post
DOES IT WORK?
Yes, fully functioning AUTO DCC.

Although sacrilegious, wiring it was the only way to have cool lights coming from my dash.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:03 AM   #1631
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I've always just put a jack on the middle of the transmission and had a friend man part of the trans while I had the other part and we 'monkey fuck' it on and off the motor. Basically grab on and shake the shit out of it and pull/shake the shit out of it and push depending on if it is going on or coming off, lol.

I'm not looking forward to changing the clutch on the LS (whenever that is) as the T56 is significantly heavier then the SR or KA transmission.

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #1632
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestMyriad View Post
Yes, fully functioning AUTO DCC.

Although sacrilegious, wiring it was the only way to have cool lights coming from my dash.
Totally bitchin.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:47 PM   #1633
240sxcure
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
240sxcure is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I would recommend pulling the engine and transmission as one unit. Removing it while it's in the chassis is one thing, but re-installing the transmission and making sure it lines up properly is a PITA.

Plus other than removing the wiring harness, and cooling system, not much more to removing the whole engine/trans combo.
240sxcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #1634
MikeySand
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (13)
MikeySand is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
fuck that. taking the whole engine out is not worth it. tilt the motor back a little and putting the trans back in is not that hard. especially if you have another set of hands to help lift or align.
MikeySand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #1635
kyles1988
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
kyles1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
The transmission is back on and the car drives fine with the new trans. The motor did not need to be pulled.
kyles1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #1636
240KAR
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
240KAR is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
i've got some pics that i'll post of your car at ia damon... It was nice meeting you..
Old 08-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #1637
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Damon King of Dope
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #1638
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240KAR View Post
i've got some pics that i'll post of your car at ia damon... It was nice meeting you..
Sounds awesome! It was great to meet you too!

Kyle is correct. I picked up the replacement transmission and a transmission jack on Monday after work. My cousin came out and helped me work on it that night- we got the old transmission out after trying to rotate it for a couple of hours. As soon as we loosened the front subframe bolts, it dropped right out. It would have been nice to have discovered that earlier in the night, but oh well, lol.

On Tuesday I started on it right when I got home, and managed to install the new transmission by myself in about 45 minutes. I'm definitely a slow worker- I'm always cautious and nervous about messing something up. The only hard part was getting the transmission onto the jack under the car by myself, since there wasn't enough space under the car to roll it under with the jack already in place. I was shocked that I was able to mount it up by myself though!

My friend Mark came out and helped with the other odds and ends. I also ended up replacing my ignition switch. The car had been taking a few tries to start and the key had to be in a very precise position to send the signal to the starter. The problem had been progressively getting worse for the last month or so. This seems to have solved the problem- everything is good to go for Wekfest now!

Crappy shot Mark took on his phone, lol:

I drove it to work today and everything seems to be good (knock on wood). I can't believe how precise the shifting is now- my old trans was in really bad shape! I'll be leaving tomorrow for Chicago to crash with my brother and attend WekFest.

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 08-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #1639
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Well, everything seems to be good with the car at the moment, knock on wood. It made the trip to and from Chicago for WekFest without any issues! I put up some info about the trip/show with some pictures on my blog.

Somehow, I managed to take home the third place stance award, which was pretty cool. I didn't even know they were doing judging or awards at the show, so it was a fun surprise. I don't usually think of my car's stance as being outstanding, but I appreciated the recognition from the judges!

When I got home from the show, I gave the car a bath and messed around taking some shots Sunday afternoon:

I don't have a lot planned until Broadfield's BBQ in October. After that when the weather starts to go South, I'll start tearing into the car. I'm not totally set on what I want to accomplish this winter, but I do have a few things in mind, including cleaning up the engine bay, installing AC, and wiring the DCC. I'll keep you guys posted!

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 08-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #1640
Riq
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
Riq is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
GReddy oil cooler would be something to do in the winter. It helps the life of your engine and looks great peeking out of the front bumper right next to the intercooler. Z32 brakes front and rear would be a great upgrade too. Keep up the great work, the car looks awesome
Riq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:05 PM   #1641
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
How bout some front turn signals to stop that fast blinking action of yours?
Old 08-25-2011, 02:11 PM   #1642
Emeru
Leaky Injector

Emeru is an unknown quantity at this point
Cars beautiful, i hope to have my hatch somewhat close to this within a couple years.
Emeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #1643
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riq View Post
GReddy oil cooler would be something to do in the winter. It helps the life of your engine and looks great peeking out of the front bumper right next to the intercooler. Z32 brakes front and rear would be a great upgrade too. Keep up the great work, the car looks awesome
I've considered an oil cooler in the past, but I never do any track/hard driving for the most part. My oil temps are usually very low, so it's never been something I want to drop cash on. It would probably look cool though for sure!

As for brakes, that is on my radar for sure. The car stops plenty well for street driving with the Q45/Hawk HPS pads/Rotora slotted rotors/SS lines it has on there now, but they are for sure lacking in the looks department. I'd love to do an Endless or Project Mu setup, but I just don't have the coin. I'm still considering a Wilwood kit up there as well, but it's overkill for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
How bout some front turn signals to stop that fast blinking action of yours?
Hmmm... I don't have any fast blinking? Turn signals work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeru View Post
Cars beautiful, i hope to have my hatch somewhat close to this within a couple years.
Thanks!

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 08-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #1644
Riq
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
Riq is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you're considering bbk's then I would go with 6piston front and 4 piston rear but then again even if you plan on going to the track z32's are plenty on a sub 3000lbs car. I'm running z32's and they are great. As far as an oil cooler goes, although you dont push your car you cant go wrong with an oil cooler.
Riq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #1645
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post

Hmmm... I don't have any fast blinking? Turn signals work fine.
I was referring to one of the YouTube videos you posted of your car when you triggered the turn signal. It was on fast blink action (due to you not having front turn signals). Did you add resistors to the circuit to mimic the presence of front signals?
Old 08-25-2011, 05:07 PM   #1646
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
As for brakes, that is on my radar for sure. The car stops plenty well for street driving with the Q45/Hawk HPS pads/Rotora slotted rotors/SS lines it has on there now, but they are for sure lacking in the looks department. I'd love to do an Endless or Project Mu setup, but I just don't have the coin. I'm still considering a Wilwood kit up there as well, but it's overkill for sure.
r33 brakes! the only reason i don't want to go up in brake sizes is because then i have to deal with worrying if the damn wheels are going to fit.
Quote:
If you're considering bbk's then I would go with 6piston front and 4 piston rear but then again even if you plan on going to the track z32's are plenty on a sub 3000lbs car. I'm running z32's and they are great. As far as an oil cooler goes, although you dont push your car you cant go wrong with an oil cooler.
if your oil temps dont exceed the temps required for the thermostat to open in an oil cooler, its the same as putting dead weight on the car. Street driving probably won't send the oil much higher than 105*C, if that. Running no thermostat is worse for your engine cause oil temps are stupid low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
I was referring to one of the YouTube videos you posted of your car when you triggered the turn signal. It was on fast blink action (due to you not having front turn signals). Did you add resistors to the circuit to mimic the presence of front signals?
DMAX...
Old 08-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #1647
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
LOL and who makes a 4 piston rear bolt on kit for s-chassis?

There is a cheaper alternative from even going with z brakes

http://zilvia.net/f/archive-faqs/291...-calipers.html

Assuming he's an s14 5 lug assembly this should work for him too.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #1648
towlie
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (11)
towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
r33 brakes! the only reason i don't want to go up in brake sizes is because then i have to deal with worrying if the damn wheels are going to fit.
Believe it or not stock s14 SE's cleared my (front, not running rears) r33 calipers with no spacers

You may have to toss on a slip-on at all worst

towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #1649
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Quote:
DMAX...
Ah I see, takes the parking light and makes it parking light / turn signal by adding two bulbs.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #1650
Slammed180
Zilvia FREAK!

Slammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of light
Does it bother you that I jank to your car?