Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
Dorifto Machine
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (17)
Dorifto Machine is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
SR Mechanical Gauges Install on SR (How/Where?)

Alrighty, so Ive been pulling some hair out trying to determine the best route for my mechanical gauges.
I understand Electric is way easier and I have debated selling these and just getting electrical gauges. However, I bought a whole set for a good deal so this is why I'm taking this route.

I have some Autometer gauges (Pro-Comp Ultra Lite series) I purchased that I need to install in my SR20 and I'm trying to determine the most effective way possible to install these.

1st gauge is a Oil Temp and 2nd is Water Temp, both have the exact probe on them.

On my oil filter relocation unit I have 2 ports for oil temp and pressure however it It seems the probe is too big to fit in these as I believe these ports are for smaller electrical probes.

Here is what the probe looks like

Does anyone have any recommendations of where I can install the mechanical oil temp gauge(other than welding a bung into the pan or if their is some way to make it work on the oil relocation unit ports? I know their is also the stock sensor next to the oil filter with similar sizes to the ports on the oil filter relocation unit.

Also, any input on the best way to install the mechanical water gauge . Is it similar to installing a Radiator Hose Adapter on the hose?

Please answer or shed some light if you have any experience and have installed mechanical gauges yourself.

Thank you very much!
Dorifto Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Florida. That explains it.

I'll make this simple for you.

You mentioned a hose adapter and that is probably the easiest, cheapest route imo. The question is, do you want to monitor coolant temps coming out of the engine before the radiator or do you want to monitor coolant temps after it's gone thru the radiator and is going back into the engine?

You can get these from Jegs, Enjuku, Speedway Motors. . . etc.

For your oil temp sensor, your cheapest bet is going to pull the oil sending unit that makes the idoit light in the gauge cluster come on and put a metal tee there, you should be able to find a tee fitting at Lowes or Ace Hardware. If you don't want to go that route MOST baffled high capacity oil pans have an extra fitting beside the drain plug for a temp probe.
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:38 AM   #3
Dorifto Machine
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (17)
Dorifto Machine is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
I know theirs more than 1 person who has done this. Please , feel free to speak up.

onehundredoctane - How many Oil temp/Water mechanical gauges have you installed on a sr?
Dorifto Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:48 AM   #4
Rut Ro
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Rut Ro is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Water temp...upper hose. Get the adapter and done

Oil temp...get an adapting piece for the oil sending unit on your relocation kit and there you go.

Here is my problem with mechanical. They provide real time measurements, but If they fail, that's 100 plus psi of hot oil in your cabin and in your face. Auto meter is good, but I prefer electrical when it comes to pressure gauges. just my two cents. You're making it harder than it really is.
Rut Ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:31 AM   #5
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I don't have temp gauges on mine, I used the radiator hose adatper for my radiator fan controllers temp probe. I have Nistune so if my laptop is plugged in I know exactly what the temp is.
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
enohand
Leaky Injector

enohand is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to enohand
man that probe is freakin huge...your best bet for the oil temp is the pan...plain & simple

the coolant might be a problem to if its probe is that long. but IIRC, no hoses will be able to accomedate that long of a probe.

you oculd get somthing like 100octan posted, but i feel you will need to run somthing simiar to a spark foler to spcae out the probe a bit...
enohand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
Nachtmensch
Zilvia Addict

Nachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond repute
There is not a port large enough in the SR to install an oil temperature probe. You can use Auto Meter part number 2261, which is a weld in fitting for a mechanical temperature gauge for the oil pan. This fitting is required to seal the probe using the sealing nut on the line since there is a tapered seat.

The mechanical water temp gauge you can get away with a radiator hose adapter, making it a quick and easy install.
Nachtmensch is offline   Reply With Quote