Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-22-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
Spikuh

Trader Rating: (0)
Spikuh is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ISIS Dual N1 Install and Review on '91 S13

Decided back around Thanksgiving to pick up a few items to spruce my almost 20 year old car back up. It was suffering from worn out bushings, ball joints, and a terribly shot stock exhaust.

So bought and replaced the bushings and ball joints and then tried to find an exhaust I thought would be quiet, discrete, and large enough to allow for further upgrades when the increased capacity to flow air would be needed.

Settled on purchasing the ISIS Dual N1 from over at Enjuku, some new hangers, and a couple odd items during the Black Friday sale. Ya for fine print.

Anyway, here are the trials and tribulations from my experience.

First up, exhaust came well packaged and with all the needed hardware. No dings, good welds. The gaskets were bent up a bit, but easy fix.

Now for a quick list of the tools I used:

-Nice large comforter (makes pulling items on the ground easy and non-damaging)
-Bungee ties (4 to 6)
-Ratchet
-10mm socket to remover the Catalytic Coverter shield thingy
-12mm socket and wrench
-17mm socket and wrencg
-Creeper
-Some sort of spray luricant like WD-40 or ZEP-45

The whole ordeal took around 3 hours by myself and wasn't to difficult to complete. I basically followed the process outlined by bshots:

http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/256082...st-review.html

Only real difference was swapping out the old exhaust hangers for the new ones. Pretty simple stuff.

Took some pictures of the two exhausts side by side once I got the stock one out:

Installation was simple enough. Started with hanging the two pieces of the exhaust with bungee ties, followed by bolting it all together losely and retightenting the bungie ties to pull out any unecessary slack. After that, I began making everything snug starting with the bolts in the cat, then moving to the first exhaust hanger, and finally the four bolts connecting the exhaust pieces together. Would have gone onto the rest of the exhaust hangers, but I ran into a couple problems, so ended up just going back and tighting up what I could.

That brings me to the problems that I will need to adress. I don't think they occured because of the product. I think they occured because the rear end of my frame may be slightly warped....

First problem is part of the exhaust essectially rests on the rear subframe. I wedged a small piece of rubber in between them so we will see how well the works.

The other two problems deal with getting the exhaust and the hangers put into place.

I think I can fix the issue in the first picture with a little elbow grease but it may cause a lot of tension which I am not to keen on.

The bigger problem is in the second picture. I can't get the bracket to line up for the life of me unless I want to break something. My only idea is to torch and then reweld the braces to align better.

Hope to get this addressed in the next couple days.

So onto sound. It is easier if I let the videos speak for themselves. They were taken within a 3 hour window so temperture was relatively the same between them all. Only real flub is in the first video when I had the window up muffling some of the noise....

Anyway, first video is stock exhaust, but no resonator. Second is no exhaust beyond the catalytic converter. Third is with the ISIS Dual N1 installed.

1st:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39nSM6Wk2OQ

2nd:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPu1dRpatBY

3rd:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFh1okOWaJQ

All in all, I enjoyed the experience and love the sound. Money well spent.

[EDIT] Videos didn't embed, so I made them links. Will look into fixing them if I can.
Spikuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2010, 11:38 PM   #2
Allmtoreg
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
Allmtoreg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
any pics of ground clearance?
Allmtoreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
s13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13 @ fullboost
did you leave the silencers in?
Old 12-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
Nick_04K
Zilvia Junkie

Nick_04K is an unknown quantity at this point
Soo conclusion about the product is.....? Recommended even though you had slight issues, or no?
Nick_04K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
Spikuh

Spikuh is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allmtoreg View Post
any pics of ground clearance?
Took a couple pictures this morning. Hope this one helps for the clearance question. I feel like the clearance is great. Doesn't appear to be any lower than stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 @ fullboost View Post
did you leave the silencers in?
I installed everything as is so if it has a silencer then it was not removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_04K View Post
Soo conclusion about the product is.....? Recommended even though you had slight issues, or no?
Sorry about that. I assumed saying money well spent would be indicative of how I felt towards it.

I think the product is good stuff and definitely worth a look for anyone wanting to replace their exhaust with one that is larger and still rather quiet.

I don't know if I would outright recomend it to anyone unless they have access to being able to reweld the braces on the muffler to better align with the bracket.

Hope this clears things up a bit.
Spikuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (42)
shiftdrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
the silencers are the things at the end on the mufflers, there is most likely allen bolts on the bottom you can take them out and they come out. increases flow, deeper sound ect.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
Jav1997GSX
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
Jav1997GSX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
i had this exhaust on my s13, sounds good, and i never got pulled over by a cop. TAKE THOSE STUPID SILENCERS OFF
Jav1997GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #8
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Wow, clearance does look surprisingly good, but you should get some more shots.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote