Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-31-2005, 06:50 PM   #1
xagna
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
xagna has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
using computer game to practice drifting

I am thinking about practicing drifting with computer or game console racing game.
How much practical and helpful do you think this would be? Besides money...

Do you any of you practice your drifting with computer or game console games?

Any racing or driving simulation do you recommand for this?
xagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2005, 06:58 PM   #2
wootwoot
Post Whore!

wootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to wootwoot
To practice drifting I recommend going in some grass, gravel, or a wet empty road parking lot. F video games for that, its about feel with drifting. Thats how I feel atleast.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:14 PM   #3
Ian
Post Whore!

Ian is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfection
yeah, unless you're studying a racing line for a specific track, video games really arent gonna teach you anything

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookOutDrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
No it isn't
This is "cool stickers"
not"let's make our car look like a pile of shit and dead babies"
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:19 PM   #4
JDMs13
BANNED

JDMs13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to JDMs13
^^^
what they said.....

gran turismo 3 though.
JDMs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:23 PM   #5
blackflag_Rms13
Zilvia FREAK!

blackflag_Rms13 is just really niceblackflag_Rms13 is just really niceblackflag_Rms13 is just really niceblackflag_Rms13 is just really niceblackflag_Rms13 is just really niceblackflag_Rms13 is just really niceblackflag_Rms13 is just really niceblackflag_Rms13 is just really niceblackflag_Rms13 is just really niceblackflag_Rms13 is just really nice
I like driftin in games like GT4 etc but I would never ever even think about trying to learn/practice in it. Its relatively unrealistic and no matter how good the physics are it won't teach you jack shit, especially without a wheel (Note: having a wheel does not change what I said)
blackflag_Rms13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:44 PM   #6
NZO
Zilvia FREAK!

NZO is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to NZO
People are quick to hate on video games but honestly if you say they won't teach you anything you're simply overstating the truth. Of course they aren't a replacement for real driving but you can learn a lot about general concepts of car dynamics if you dont have a lot of driving experience.

sentinelguild.com/nzo/PFCDB/
NZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:48 PM   #7
blaze1
Zilvia Member

blaze1 is making a name for him/her selfblaze1 is making a name for him/her self
This thing a 60inch and your set

blaze1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:50 PM   #8
SimpleSexy180
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
SimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze1
This thing a 60inch and your set

wow no clutch, GFG!

hey blaze....what kind of car do you drive? im from moval too
SimpleSexy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:02 PM   #9
blaze1
Zilvia Member

blaze1 is making a name for him/her selfblaze1 is making a name for him/her self
im working on getting a Turbo2 FC at the moment whats your name, i might know you.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:03 PM   #10
blaze1
Zilvia Member

I had a SOHC auto 240 for a while, usto drive it for like beggening of summer up too 2 weeks ago. Sold it for double the price i got it, i didnt drive it a whole lot.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:21 PM   #11
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
you can learn alot from video games... racing lines, wieght transfer etc... Gran Turismo games are not the best tho, try Enthusia for PS2, better physics.. and Live For Speed for PC http://www.liveforspeed.net/?page=fp
Old 09-01-2005, 07:29 AM   #12
rrobe99999
Zilvia Member

rrobe99999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by downshift180
wow no clutch, GFG!
What games do you play that have a clutch button?
rrobe99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:48 AM   #13
chlatboy
Zilvia FREAK!

chlatboy will become famous soon enoughchlatboy will become famous soon enoughchlatboy will become famous soon enoughchlatboy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobe99999
What games do you play that have a clutch button?
Im still waiting for one to come out.

chlatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:15 AM   #14
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
d1gp whatever jdm game has a clutch button.
but only for clutch kicks,not shifting
it rules.
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:21 AM   #15
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

Trader Rating: (1)
MELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperTek
you can learn alot from video games... racing lines, wieght transfer etc... Gran Turismo games are not the best tho, try Enthusia for PS2, better physics.. and Live For Speed for PC http://www.liveforspeed.net/?page=fp
Yeah try "Live For Speed s2" racing simulator... it has clutch capability too.
MELLO*SOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 12:15 PM   #16
HyperTek
Post Whore!

HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
enthusia has a clutch.. can do donuts =D.. id like to see someone do donuts in gran turismo.. hehe
Old 09-01-2005, 12:49 PM   #17
Var
Post Whore!

Var is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Var
I literally learned how to drift playing GT3. I recommend you to practice for hours on end with car setup and everything. Once i made it out to the real track i learned really fast.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:01 PM   #18
SDS14Driver
Leaky Injector

SDS14Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Sigh...

Very interesting comments in this post. You have to understand that a video game is designed for entertainment value, not for simulation purposes. Do you think that astronauts train for space travel by playing a couple hours of starwars tie fighter each night? It just doesn't work that way...

I'll stick with that example:

Simulating a 0 gravity environment by flying up and diving down is the best they can do and that's not even a real world situation... GT4 or anything built for entertainment value can teach you NOTHING about the feeling of a real world driving experience, let alone the dynamics of drift. You have 0 fear when tapping the L1 button when entering a corner at high speed. (get where i'm going...?)

If you want to learn anything in this world, you need experience, even textbooks are limited. (Which is why many college degrees won't make you any money w/o experience)

If you're serious about learning, put down the controller, stop watching initial D reruns and look up a driving school's actual cirriculum to get an idea of what needs to happen for the average driving rookie to become a drifter. If you like what you see, enroll.

Simple as that.

Using a computer game to "practice" drifting will get you or somebody else KILLED. [Period]
SDS14Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 01:21 PM   #19
Var
Post Whore!

Var is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDS14Driver
Sigh...

Very interesting comments in this post. You have to understand that a video game is designed for entertainment value, not for simulation purposes. Do you think that astronauts train for space travel by playing a couple hours of starwars tie fighter each night? It just doesn't work that way...

I'll stick with that example:

Simulating a 0 gravity environment by flying up and diving down is the best they can do and that's not even a real world situation... GT4 or anything built for entertainment value can teach you NOTHING about the feeling of a real world driving experience, let alone the dynamics of drift. You have 0 fear when tapping the L1 button when entering a corner at high speed. (get where i'm going...?)

If you want to learn anything in this world, you need experience, even textbooks are limited. (Which is why many college degrees won't make you any money w/o experience)

If you're serious about learning, put down the controller, stop watching initial D reruns and look up a driving school's actual cirriculum to get an idea of what needs to happen for the average driving rookie to become a drifter. If you like what you see, enroll.

Simple as that.

Using a computer game to "practice" drifting will get you or somebody else KILLED. [Period]
everything is so matter-of-fact in your statement. And you're so wrong. GT3 is one of the most realistic driving engines as far as drifting goes. It teaches you good feel. Even alignment changes accurately affect the car's dynamics. Comparing it to astronauts and Tie Fighter is stupid and not a good analogy, cause tie fighter isn't supposed to be realstic. Considering there are no such thing as
1-Tie Fighters
2-Dogfights in Outer Space

Granted i DID have driving and motorcycle riding experience before i picked up the game, but it did teach me do's and dont's for drifting.

Obviously you dont want to have 0 driving experience, play a video game, then go try to race. What i'm saying may or may not apply to the thread starter, the readers, or you but it applied to me and i'm sharing my experience truthfully. So my point is that dont disreguard something i said like i'm lying or like you are the authority on driving.

BTW GT3 was supposed to be a driving simulator. I've seen the making of it and read about it too, and the people who made the game were very set on making it as real as possible.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:27 PM   #20
yudalicious
Zilvia Addict

yudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond repute
I think it can be generalized from all the above posts that
if you don't know how to drift in real life, GT3 (or any other game, for that matter) drifting isn't gonna magically make you drift in real life.
yudalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 01:34 PM   #21
Var
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yudalicious
if you don't know how to drift in real life, GT3 (or any other game, for that matter) drifting isn't gonna magically make you drift in real life.

Maybe if you worded it like this i would agree.

Quote:
If you dont know how to drive in real life, GT3(or any other game, for that matter) is not going to teach you.
I think if you can drive and know the physics of your car, it will definitely get you half way there or more.

Again..this is my opinion and i'm gonna stand by it.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:34 PM   #22
SDS14Driver
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by yudalicious
Exactly.

I'm just a visitor here in the Chat section of the zilvia world. Threads like these are exactly why i stay the hell away.

GT3 is a great driving video game, granted. But please, find me a pro racer of any sort who will fuckin testify that video game practice is a good means of gaining real world driving skill and ill hand you the keys to my car...
Old 09-01-2005, 01:36 PM   #23
Var
Post Whore!

Why do you need a pro driver to tell you? I'm telling you. I'm not a pro, but i drift on the track. I've told you twice already. It helped my learning curve drastically and it helped me tune my touge car too as far as spring rates and alignment.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:41 PM   #24
SDS14Driver
Leaky Injector

I'm asking for a pro because they've refined the techniques necessary to be a damn pro. Not to rip on your "skill" or anything pal, but you're not a pro, and you say you've developed your driving techniques from a playstation 2 video game; so forgive me for not finding your sources crediable enough.

If a pro racer on the other hand, who knows what it takes to get to that level gives a video game his or her endorsement for learning to improve then shit, i'll be the first to stand corrected. Until that happens, happy gaming and good luck with your driving carreer.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:47 PM   #25
Var
Post Whore!

I'm asking for a pro because they've refined the techniques necessary to be a damn pro. Not to rip on your "skill" or anything pal, but you're not a pro,
I was the first to say that i wasn't

and you say you've developed your driving techniques from a playstation 2 video game; so forgive me for not finding that crediable enough.
I developed my driving skill on the racetrack, and used the GT3 driving simulator an aid to understand the physics of it in the beginning.

If a pro racer on the other hand, who knows what it takes to get to that level gives a video game his or her endorsement for learning to improve then shit, i'll be the first to stand corrected.
If a pro endorses something, i automatically dont believe it, cause it's an endorsement. But that's just me i guess.

Until that happens, happy gaming and good luck with your driving carreer.
Thanks. If i qualify for Formula D next year i'll be sure to make a mention of Gran Turismo 3.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:59 PM   #26
MakotoS13
BANNED

MakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to MakotoS13
Quote:
If a pro racer on the other hand, who knows what it takes to get to that level gives a video game his or her endorsement for learning to improve then shit, i'll be the first to stand corrected. Until that happens, happy gaming and good luck with your driving carreer.
what makes a pro a pro? INCOME derived from the event they are participating in. good drivers are all over the place, getting paid for it doesn't make you a good drive. i guess you also believe that only good bands are famous too or that astronauts are geeks for using simulators before the real thing in space.

you're fuggin out of your gourd and its about time you go home.
MakotoS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 02:27 PM   #27
Pank
Post Whore!

Pank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfection
Quote:
Exactly.

I'm just a visitor here in the Chat section of the zilvia world. Threads like these are exactly why i stay the hell away.

GT3 is a great driving video game, granted. But please, find me a pro racer of any sort who will fuckin testify that video game practice is a good means of gaining real world driving skill and ill hand you the keys to my car...
Find me a pro who says its useless, and i'll give you the keys to MY car.
its pretty obvious you're not a "pro level driver"

and dont act like you hate the chat section of zilvia, but instead post a lot of super helpful stuff in tech, because you dont, you have 88 posts.

continue lurking, and keep your high and mighty bullshit for 240sx.org

zenki s14---v8 fc rx7
my crappy flickr page (drift cars whoo)
Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 03:53 PM   #28
wootwoot
Post Whore!

wootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to wootwoot
Remember when two drivers switched places in f1 and NASCAR as a publicity stunt? I cant remember who the drivers were, but it was fun to watch. Whoever drove the f1 car in NASCAR would have placed in the first 1/4 of the pack and who was driving the f1 car from NASCAR would have finished about 4 seconds behind the pack(which is still really really good). But thats not the point I'm getting at. My point is that the f1 driver was said to have practiced on video games before any exerience in the car. It can teach you extreme basic things, thats it. I mean, its a silly question to ask really. I still vote for empty field/gravel/empty wet parking lot.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:00 PM   #29
aa87
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
aa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aa87
Video games will give you the basic idea to use a steering wheel, but its completely different, so many things can affect a driver, g's, bumps, etc,

I personally feel gt3 had no feel at all, very unrealistic, in terms of real car driving, grip driving was ok, but once you go trying to ebrake/power over or anything, it has no physics similar to that of driving.
aa87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:24 PM   #30
boycelaforest707
Leaky Injector

boycelaforest707 is a well-known jackass
F1 drivers train on simulators in off season......