Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-04-2006, 05:26 PM   #1
smithers584
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
smithers584 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
knocking sounds and bent spark plug tip

ok just like the title says. my buddys s14sr, has had it running for about a week, no problems, idles great and ran great, went to change injectors back to stock today and put everything together and all the sudden its knocking loud at idle. i pulled all the plugs and #4 looked like it had been hit by something and the prong was smashed down and it had no gap. what would cause this, is there anyway that a rod bearing went and allowed the piston to slap the spark plug? we also pulled the valve cover and everything looked fine under there. any suggestions? this went from a smooth perfectly quite running car to this in about 15 seconds.
smithers584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2006, 05:29 PM   #2
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Bingo.

Piston + plug = rebuild.
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 05:35 PM   #3
smithers584
Zilvia Junkie

wow, i didnt think that there was that much play in the bearings. it also went from nice and quite to knocking seriously in about 15 seconds, doesnt that sounds weird if it was rod knock?
Old 06-04-2006, 06:53 PM   #4
smithers584
Zilvia Junkie

ok well we changed the plug and ran it and pulled the plug and the gap was still good. the weird thing is that the noise comes and goes, it sounds like rod knock but then it goes away for a while and comes back, and the intensity of the noise changes also. and now there is a ringing noise coming from the turbo, WTF? its just so random and happened so quick we are trying to think outside the box a little, that or we dont want to come to terms with the fact that we have to rebuild the motor. my buddy that put the plugs in the first time said that they came with the motor and he didnt even check the gapping.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:28 PM   #5
JMixedDS13M

Trader Rating: (1)
JMixedDS13M is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
that's wierd for something like that to happen just from changing the injectors. are the injectors that you changed the same length?
JMixedDS13M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:29 PM   #6
NIK90s13
Zilvia Junkie

NIK90s13 is making a name for him/her selfNIK90s13 is making a name for him/her self
Hey smithers, haven't heard from you in a while,I would check in the cylinder for some odd piece of somthing, like from the injectors or somthing like that. If his valves ''swallowed'' somthing it can get lodged on the piston head or bang arround in the chamber ect. So check in the chanber before you call it a rebuild.
NIK90s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:28 PM   #7
R34SKYLINE
Leaky Injector

R34SKYLINE is an unknown quantity at this point
You think maybe when you changed the injector you droped something down in the combustion chamber threw the intake manifold???
R34SKYLINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:29 PM   #8
R34SKYLINE
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMixedDS13M
that's wierd for something like that to happen just from changing the injectors. are the injectors that you changed the same length?
Thats retarded the injectors don't pretrude into the combustion chamber...lol

Last edited by R34SKYLINE; 06-04-2006 at 10:16 PM..
Old 06-04-2006, 09:46 PM   #9
Pank
Post Whore!

Pank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMixedDS13M

what?

msglength

zenki s14---v8 fc rx7
my crappy flickr page (drift cars whoo)
Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:18 AM   #10
smithers584
Zilvia Junkie

yeah i have been so busy with a few sr swaps in the past couple weeks i havent had too much time to get on here, plus i am getting pretty proficient with sr's after having mine for two years.

i wasnt there when they swapped them, but on the s14 sr the intake plenum sits on top, so we have been taking it off to get to the injectors, which leaves the runners vulnerable to items falling in. we stuck a magnet down the spark plug hole to see if we could reach anything but with no luck. i just find it hard to believe that a piston could reach the spark plug to bend it, even with shot bearings. and i cant comprehend that it was running so good last night and idleing so great and all the sudden this. if there is something in there, whats a good way to get it out? we pulled the plug and cranked the car to see if it would spit it out, with no luck, any other ideas?
Old 06-05-2006, 03:00 AM   #11
R34SKYLINE
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithers584
yeah i have been so busy with a few sr swaps in the past couple weeks i havent had too much time to get on here, plus i am getting pretty proficient with sr's after having mine for two years.

i wasnt there when they swapped them, but on the s14 sr the intake plenum sits on top, so we have been taking it off to get to the injectors, which leaves the runners vulnerable to items falling in. we stuck a magnet down the spark plug hole to see if we could reach anything but with no luck. i just find it hard to believe that a piston could reach the spark plug to bend it, even with shot bearings. and i cant comprehend that it was running so good last night and idleing so great and all the sudden this. if there is something in there, whats a good way to get it out? we pulled the plug and cranked the car to see if it would spit it out, with no luck, any other ideas?
Your piston wouldn't not hit the spark plug unless it were the wrong type of plug (to long) or you had catastropic failure the bearing being worn would have to have been basically missing for it to maybe even touch the plug but even then fat chance, the item could have been plastic to, maybe one of those hard plastic washers for the fuel railer feel in....
Old 06-05-2006, 08:06 AM   #12
spdfreek0o
Zilvia Member

spdfreek0o will become famous soon enoughspdfreek0o will become famous soon enoughspdfreek0o will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to spdfreek0o
It sounds like detonation. Maybe the #4 injector is going bad or not flowing properly.
spdfreek0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:41 AM   #13
smithers584
Zilvia Junkie

ok well i stole an aircraft borescope from work today and took it over, its one of those pencil thin cameras with a light on the end and you move it with a joystick and watch the handheld lcd, it rocks, like 6mm radius. anyways, stuck it down through the spark plug and i could see the piston definately was hit by something, no bad, but noticeably scared. the valves and everything look good from the inside and outside, we did find ball bearings in his turbo manifold, not so good, and nothing in the intake plenum. we are also using ngk 7 copper plugs. cant seem to find the culprit, we are going to drain the oil and check the plug for signs of a shot bearing. any other ideas are welcome, thanks for the input guys.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:50 AM   #14
RPS1392
Zilvia Member

RPS1392 has a spectacular aura aboutRPS1392 has a spectacular aura aboutRPS1392 has a spectacular aura aboutRPS1392 has a spectacular aura aboutRPS1392 has a spectacular aura aboutRPS1392 has a spectacular aura about
Go rent a bore scope and take a look, sounds like if the turbo is now making noise, the object moving from the chamber to the turbo via the exhast is a possibility.
RPS1392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:51 AM   #15
RPS1392
Zilvia Member

RPS1392 has a spectacular aura aboutRPS1392 has a spectacular aura aboutRPS1392 has a spectacular aura aboutRPS1392 has a spectacular aura aboutRPS1392 has a spectacular aura aboutRPS1392 has a spectacular aura about
lol, as I was writing that you posted....
RPS1392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:44 PM   #16
NIK90s13
Zilvia Junkie

NIK90s13 is making a name for him/her selfNIK90s13 is making a name for him/her self
Man I need one of those scopes!!! LOL I sounds really cool!!!! If there is nothing in the chamber and you are sure the injector and plug is good, maybe whatever was hitting blew out. Try running it again and see if you get the knock. Let me know.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:43 AM   #17
smithers584
Zilvia Junkie

yeah that borescope is amazing, lets you look inside without pulling the head. so my friend took off the turbo and mani and said the turbo is shot. we did put the other injectors back in and still making that sound, im not convienced that its rod knock, but it sounds like it. could the starter make this noise is the solenoid was going bad? like it hitting the flywheel? ive never heard one go out, but that is where the sound is coming from it seems like. also, checked oil, very very clean, no signs of anything as far as metal shavings go. we will take a look at the starter tomorrow, this is got me really confused. what would it sound like if he spun a bearing? i dont imagine he did because we ran 15w50 in it and didnt not rev very high because we are still working out bugs and tuning.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:03 AM   #18
NIK90s13
Zilvia Junkie

A spun bering would seeze(sp) up or rattel BIG time.It wouldn't go away, once a bering goes, that's it, it's gone. Let me know how the starter comes out, I'm at a bit of a loss without hearing it, If I think of anything else I'll let you know.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:11 AM   #19
smithers584
Zilvia Junkie

starter was fine, that was just a long shot guess. noise is still there, closer evaluation makes us think its coming from under the valve cover, but we cant find anything underthere thats loose. it sounds like a midget with a bat is running around in the motor banging on things, its so inconsistent. tell me this, he is running a chipped s14sr ecu, we dont know what its chipped for it just came like that, with 550cc's that came with it but the stock fpr. could this cause detonation, maybe stock fuel pressure not high enough for 550 and chipped ecu?
Old 06-07-2006, 07:10 AM   #20
NIK90s13
Zilvia Junkie

I don't know if it would cause the knocking, but with the bigger injuctors you need the ecu chipped and tuned to the injecters and the mods on the car, or it wont run right.With the ecu you have, who knows what it for. The car will run, it will probably be mega rich.

On another note, he has hydrolic lifters, right? I have A KA, so I am not sure on the SR, if the lifters are faling it will knock or tap pretty good, and if it charges up it will go away.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:15 AM   #21
smithers584
Zilvia Junkie

well we are going to pull the head today and check the valves again, and if those are good we are going to pull the motor and check the rod bearings and see what we find. ill post when i find out whats wrong. thanks for the help.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:14 PM   #22
smithers584
Zilvia Junkie

pulled the head and found two little pieces of metal in the cylinder. they werent big enough to make the sounds we heard, at least thats what we think, probably like a really small sowing needle, but about 1/4 inch long a piece. we also found some damage around where the valves seat and think the valves are bent, havent pulled them yet. going to replace the valves and get a head job. still need to inspect more of the motor though.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:26 PM   #23
S14DriftstaiN
Leaky Injector

S14DriftstaiN is a well-known jackass
dont forget to check your timming marks.
S14DriftstaiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:37 PM   #24
NIK90s13
Zilvia Junkie

Yea I was think of the valves some, the odd part is that in goes away, check the valve guids to see if they are loose.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #25
juanishio

juanishio is an unknown quantity at this point
did replacing the valves fix the problems,cus i had the same problem with the bent sparkplug...i took off the valve cover turns out i had a broken rocker arm. so what hit the sparkplug??could a broken rocker arm cause this
juanishio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #26
monopolizedinc

monopolizedinc is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to monopolizedinc
Here we are several Yeats later... Having similar issues on a friends bt sr driving fine one day and started to rattel a bit. Parked it and started looking around found the same #4 spark plug bent have not found a borescope to use buti did swqp the plug just for it to rattle a bit more and bend it over again.
monopolizedinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:24 PM   #27
Bay_area831
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Bay_area831 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Having the same issue. Ever find an answer as to why
Bay_area831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #28
SlpAngl
Leaky Injector

SlpAngl is an unknown quantity at this point
To have a rocker arm cause the valve to hit the spark plug, you'd also most likely have to bend the shit out of your valve as well... I'm not very familiar with SR's but in my experience that sounds like a bottom end issue, not head.
SlpAngl is offline   Reply With Quote