Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > USA > South Western States

South Western States Arizona, California, Hawaii, and Nevada.

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
jontron5000
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
jontron5000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Cali, Cops, and SR20DET's in 2011

Hey guys,

I'm coming up on the end of my SR swap and will be on the road soon. This is gonna be my daily driver. For your viewing pleasure, I have uploaded a pic of my progress so far. As you can tell, nothing too outlandish on my car that would make me stick out like a sore thumb on the road.

I have heard horror stories about people in Cali getting pulled over, popping their hoods, and having to visit the ref for as much as a modified exhaust. However, all these stories were posted in like 2003. I would to get a better idea of what cops are doing nowadays since the "ricer" phase is pretty much come and gone (in my opinion).

However, my question for you all is for those with SR's running in your cars, what are your experiences with cops in regards to getting pulled over? I would rate myself as a pretty defensive driver, I hardly run yellow lights in fear of getting a ticket, I don't speed or drive erratically or anything of that nature, pretty much eliminating any reason to get pulled over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0872.JPG (118.1 KB, 115 views)
Old 04-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
rollout240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (31)
rollout240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rollout240
ricer phase?? lol

dude from 03 to now shit got worse man.
this question is to broad. None of us can answer this because we all have different experience.
This thread is going to get nothing but opinions that in the end wont tell you much.
you wont know till you drive your big boy car out on the road man.
ive gotten pulled over 2'wice in a month for modified shit on my car. and my car isn't "flashy". Now-a-days you can get pulled over for having a stupid sticker on your car and that gives them all the reason to pop your hood.
You vs. them. you loose.
drive safe.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
jontron5000
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollout240 View Post
ricer phase?? lol

dude from 03 to now shit got worse man.
this question is to broad. None of us can answer this because we all have different experience.
This thread is going to get nothing but opinions that in the end wont tell you much.
you wont know till you drive your big boy car out on the road man.
ive gotten pulled over 2'wice in a month for modified shit on my car. and my car isn't "flashy". Now-a-days you can get pulled over for having a stupid sticker on your car and that gives them all the reason to pop your hood.
You vs. them. you loose.
drive safe.
Damn, I was kinda hoping thing would have gotten better. But yeah, I completely believe you when you say I won't know until I'm out on the road myself.

I think what I'm getting at with this thread is to get more "up to date" experiences people they had with law enforcement, regardless of if it is good or bad. In these responses I would like hear both perspectives of the story (cop vs. driver, or at least what the driver tells us what the cop says), reason(s) for being pulled over (moving violation/modifications/stickers), and how the situation ended (ticket/warning/ref, etc)
Old 04-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
s13boy89
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
s13boy89 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13boy89
^^^^^^^^^^this
Old 04-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
nrg
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
nrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to nrg
"rice phase"? it's still around. Look for them with "i heart jdm" stickers, sportmax wheels, roof rack. the 240 bubble pop (in 08) and everyone that had nice cars sold them all.

dont drive like a dumb-ass and obey the traffic laws.
I've daily my previous sr20 s14 from 2003-2008 and have never been pulled over.

driftingisgay.com
Old 04-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
jontron5000
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg View Post
"rice phase"? it's still around. Look for them with "i heart jdm" stickers, sportmax wheels, roof rack. the 240 bubble pop (in 08) and everyone that had nice cars sold them all.

dont drive like a dumb-ass and obey the traffic laws.
I've daily my previous sr20 s14 from 2003-2008 and have never been pulled over.
Did you have any visual mods, like rims, exhaust, lowered?
Old 04-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
Drift N Dragg
Username Monster!

Trader Rating: (14)
Drift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontron5000 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm coming up on the end of my SR swap and will be on the road soon. This is gonna be my daily driver. For your viewing pleasure, I have uploaded a pic of my progress so far. As you can tell, nothing too outlandish on my car that would make me stick out like a sore thumb on the road.

I have heard horror stories about people in Cali getting pulled over, popping their hoods, and having to visit the ref for as much as a modified exhaust. However, all these stories were posted in like 2003. I would to get a better idea of what cops are doing nowadays since the "ricer" phase is pretty much come and gone (in my opinion).

However, my question for you all is for those with SR's running in your cars, what are your experiences with cops in regards to getting pulled over? I would rate myself as a pretty defensive driver, I hardly run yellow lights in fear of getting a ticket, I don't speed or drive erratically or anything of that nature, pretty much eliminating any reason to get pulled over.
Quote:
Damn, I was kinda hoping thing would have gotten better. But yeah, I completely believe you when you say I won't know until I'm out on the road myself.

I think what I'm getting at with this thread is to get more "up to date" experiences people they had with law enforcement, regardless of if it is good or bad. In these responses I would like hear both perspectives of the story (cop vs. driver, or at least what the driver tells us what the cop says), reason(s) for being pulled over (moving violation/modifications/stickers), and how the situation ended (ticket/warning/ref, etc)
Quote:
Did you have any visual mods, like rims, exhaust, lowered?
I am closing this thread...

Reasons are pretty obvisious.

2015 Subaru STI
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
A Ton of Projects
Old 04-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
VG30Drift
Zilvia Member

VG30Drift is not welcome here anymoreVG30Drift is not welcome here anymoreVG30Drift is not welcome here anymoreVG30Drift is not welcome here anymoreVG30Drift is not welcome here anymoreVG30Drift is not welcome here anymoreVG30Drift is not welcome here anymoreVG30Drift is not welcome here anymoreVG30Drift is not welcome here anymore
It's nuts. I got pulled over 2 days in a row. They're looking for low & loud cars apparently.

The law says you can't have any part of your car lower than the edges of the wheels. On top of that, you must have 22 inches from the ground to the center of your headlights.

Exhaust violations are given by the discretion of the officer.

Either of these are grounds for being pulled over, and just about every time I get pulled over, they ask to pop my hood.

I'm assuming a lot of the reason they pull me over is the stickers on my car, I have an obnoxious windshield banner etc... I was going the speed limit.

'94 NA Z----------------'90 S13 Base Coupe
Old 04-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #9
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
depends where you live to be honest, most 909/inland empire cops pull over people doing stupid shit or obnoxiously loud cars. You don't have an oversized cat I recommend getting one instead of having a straight pipe.

That's normally the number one give away you're driving a turbo car when everyone can hear it spooling through your loud ass fart cans.

I only got pulled over and reffed once and that was my fault, I normally drive my car around police DAILY like I'm in a school of fish, even without a front plate and I don't get harassed or followed.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
boobs13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
boobs13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
depends where you live to be honest, most 909/inland empire cops pull over people doing stupid shit or obnoxiously loud cars. You don't have an oversized cat I recommend getting one instead of having a straight pipe.

^EXACTLY!

OP Don't drive like a dumbass and you'll be good.

FOR SALE: DOHC maf, KA down pipe and SR A/C pump like new pm me for price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DALAZ_68 View Post
cars are like beer, they all do the same thing, and we each prefer our own flavor...
Old 04-04-2011, 11:47 PM   #11
rollout240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (31)
rollout240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rollout240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run NoeL, Run! View Post
If all else fails.
Lowkey pass them a washington.
If you know what I mean.
There shall be none of this!! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by koji187 View Post
remove tint from all windows even the back, remove all stickers, megan type II exhaust or stock, run a cat, keep recirc valve, paint intercooler black, stock body, run a clean factory 16 or 17'' wheel
yes, but that really wont do much man. like it was stated before. cops will pop you for ANYTHING. he can b.s. and say that your music was too loud and go from there. feel me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlegendary View Post
parking violations, traffic violations, and drug violations make the most money. traffic violations are the number one revenue generator for the police.

most of my tickets were the result of my stupidity and i have gotten only one chippie that decided to pop my hood. now i drive like a grandma and annoy everybody else that is driving but it is definitely worth my money.
At a time like this when Cali needs money who they gonna pop....us!!! so yes drive safe because thou shall get popped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post

That's normally the number one give away you're driving a turbo car when everyone can hear it spooling through your loud ass fart cans.

I only got pulled over and reffed once and that was my fault, I normally drive my car around police DAILY like I'm in a school of fish, even without a front plate and I don't get harassed or followed.
i think a big thing is were you live like Om1kron said, i got pulled over 2 blocks from my pad, cops here suck. i drive in pasadena. no biggie. cops don't mind it. location location.

and yes not all cops are douchebags as people think. like stated before some cops look because they like.
i got pulled over for having my car too low. Cop asked me more questions about if i scrape here and there and how to i manage to drive my car in alhambra and whatever. didn't even bother to run my license. Continues to talk about his dodge truck that scrapes everywhere. He just wanted info, not to issue a citation.

It's all about being in the right place at the right time.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #12
Gizmo_S13
Zilvia FREAK!

Gizmo_S13 is an unknown quantity at this point
It really comes down to you man. If your car looks flashy, slammed, sticker bombed, anything too out of the ordinary you'll get pulled over but like I said it depends where your at and the cops get familiar with the modified cars around the area. For example: most of the Rialto PD knows me from getting pulled over like 2 years ago and it seemed like the whole department was there. Now they just thumbs up me from time to time.

Hachiroku, ATTACK! ATTACK! ATTACK!!!
Old 04-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #13
aladdin
Leaky Injector

aladdin is an unknown quantity at this point
I got pulled over in my blk 08 gti for everything and anything. it was sitting low and rear was shaved so no exhaust outlet. I got pulled over for that and the cop asked me where my exhaust was..idiot.

But in my sr 240 that was dumped with -12 white wheels and a white cage shinning through the rear window in the heart of chula juana... I never got pulled over. I cruise and dnt speed. At nights i like to open her up to say 5500 rpm's every now and then. Oh and i never drove with a seat belt either.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #14
upsdude
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
upsdude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
you live in southern california so you'll be living in fear constantly lol. no matter how well you drive or how closely you follow the rules you will get popped eventually. remember california's got budget problems so ppl with the stupidest violation are easy targets to grab money.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #15
unlegendary
Zilvia Addict

unlegendary is a well-known jackass
parking violations, traffic violations, and drug violations make the most money. traffic violations are the number one revenue generator for the police.

most of my tickets were the result of my stupidity and i have gotten only one chippie that decided to pop my hood. now i drive like a grandma and annoy everybody else that is driving but it is definitely worth my money.

another thing that would help is get an exhaust with two mufflers like apexi noir, no stickers, and put dirt and flat black paint on everything lol.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #16
upsdude
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
upsdude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
i mean i know it's cool to have a turbo'd car and all...but really if you're not planning to race on the streets (stupid to do anyways) and this is like, your DD that you're trying to mod, the money would be better spent to make it look good instead. but that's just me and i'm old lol.

but if you're set on going down that path, then drive like a senior citizen and pray you don't get pulled over-that's about all you can do.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #17
klrbee7
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
klrbee7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My DD is an RX7 Turbo Vert, i had 240SX KA-T and Sr20DET. Make it look simple, dual tip and a high flow cat or a pre silencer. and Obey they rules. good luck buddy and have fun. If you live around pasadena or eaglerock area hope to see you around. just remember " You have to PAY to Play" =)
Old 04-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #18
imnatelol
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
imnatelol is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Drive like a fuckin grandma and know when to have your fun
Old 04-03-2011, 10:10 PM   #19
1quk240
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (21)
1quk240 will become famous soon enough1quk240 will become famous soon enough1quk240 will become famous soon enough1quk240 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Live in Arizona!!! Or at least register your car in AZ that way when/if you do get pulled over they cant do anything about it. Ive gotten 2 tickets while in cali but they never asked to pop my hood.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #20
240AZ
Leaky Injector

240AZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1quk240 View Post
Live in Arizona!!! Or at least register your car in AZ that way when/if you do get pulled over they cant do anything about it. Ive gotten 2 tickets while in cali but they never asked to pop my hood.
I agree. Arizona's the shit for car regs/laws. You can do almost anything to your vehicle and you wont get pulled over. Plus, you dont have to have a front license plate
Old 04-04-2011, 12:45 AM   #21
jdm240sx122
Zilvia Junkie

jdm240sx122 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1quk240 View Post
Not trying to go too far off topic and fuck up this poor guys thread ,but does anybody know is Southern Nevada is like Arizona in this aspect. Im just curious since it would prob be easier for us socal guys to register there instead of AZ.?????????
Old 04-03-2011, 10:20 PM   #22
Tye132

Tye132 is an unknown quantity at this point
I honestly haven't had much of a prob yet. I was in LA for the weekend and pretty much if you want a subtle exhaust I got the Isis N1 dual exhaust which in reality is the same as Apexi but its pretty quiet and my SR swap got done recently. I've passed acouple cops and vice versa and haven't had problems but just be smart and know when to have your fun.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #23
ddf2006
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
ddf2006 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
lately i been hearing that the state cant afford to keep doing ref tickets but most likely false. but from my expirence driving a low loud car, i get followed sometimes but usually as long as i have my tags up to date and registration is good they dont bother pulling me over. i even talked to a local cop at a station by my house and asked him "if he saw a import car with big loud exhuast, and a mustange next to him with loud ass exhaust, who would he pull over???" he said neither cuz he has better things to worry about then a stupid exhaust.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #24
koji187
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
koji187 is on the path to ruinkoji187 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
remove tint from all windows even the back, remove all stickers, megan type II exhaust or stock, run a cat, keep recirc valve, paint intercooler black, stock body, run a clean factory 16 or 17'' wheel
Old 04-03-2011, 11:04 PM   #25
Run NoeL, Run!
Leaky Injector

Run NoeL, Run! is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Run NoeL, Run!
If all else fails.
Lowkey pass them a washington.
If you know what I mean.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:03 AM   #26
Jared0934
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
Jared0934 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I drive a 240 w/ tinted windows, no body kit and stickers and crap but its low with a 5in pipe on it and I haven't been pulled over *yet*... I don't drive like a douche and every time I see a cop I push the clutch in a stroll on by. Not to mention I have to pass cops every time I get back onto base.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:44 AM   #27
sidedrifts13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (29)
sidedrifts13 is on the path to ruinsidedrifts13 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sidedrifts13 Send a message via Yahoo to sidedrifts13
I live in hawthorne and I was never pulled over the main reason was my car wasn't loud and I drove like an old man..
Old 04-04-2011, 12:54 AM   #28
ayororo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (25)
ayororo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Ive been pulled
Over in my sr s13, gabe me a warning for exhaust and i was pulling hard at night not speeding.

Cruising in my s14 sr with blitz realize TT and got a
Muffler ticket cop obv jus looked for somethin to pull me over for..

Now i hope i dont get
Pulled over cuz im just a kid
Old 04-04-2011, 02:44 AM   #29
ShimiBoi
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
ShimiBoi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
i live in hawthorne near lax and the only time i got pulled over was cuz i was going 30 in a 25 and the cop was bored. but ya, like everyone said...drive slow and dont make ur car too loud. add resonators if you have to. plus dont make ur car look like a honda with all the stickers everywhere and the flashy rims and stupid blue hids. gluck and welcome to cali! hahaha
Old 04-04-2011, 03:19 AM   #30
repda916
Zilvia Addict

repda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymore
i drive a RHD coupe no tint fully caged white with gold rims as a DD. FML i think the only reason why i havent got pulled over yet is bc i never get a cop behind me or even see me but when one does im Fukd. till then i mob
Closed Thread