Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-10-2016, 09:35 AM   #811
adey
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
adey is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Am looking to do some replacements and polishing on some of my wheels.
Anyone know what kind of tool/wrench/socket is used to take the wheel apart? Specifically for:

1) Advan SA3:

2) SSR Agle Minerva:
front-

rear-

(I think same as current SSRs:
)

Thanks!!
adey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2016, 10:05 AM   #812
adey
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red240 View Post
Still looking for Volk lips for my GTCs
I just bought a pair of GT-Cs and was told by VR Wheels that they can't be turned into 3-pieces, since the bolts are too far apart... which would cause the rims to leak air from the seam, between the bolts.

Not sure if silicone/sealant alone would be enough to prevent air leakage, but I imagine welding would.

Interested to hear/see if anyone has done this - they say they have, but have yet to see pics or details on how it was done!
Old 06-10-2016, 10:31 AM   #813
theStig880
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
theStig880 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by adey View Post
Am looking to do some replacements and polishing on some of my wheels.
Anyone know what kind of tool/wrench/socket is used to take the wheel apart? Specifically for:

1) Advan SA3:

2) SSR Agle Minerva:

Thanks!!
I've never done any Advans but they look similar to Works hardware which I've always just used a multipoint box end wrench on the outer bolts and just a socket on the inside. No special tools needed.

The Minerva's are a female triple square. You can use a Torx bit to loosen them if you are careful. Torx's are much easier to find but not an exact fit.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:41 AM   #814
adey
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theStig880 View Post
I've never done any Advans but they look similar to Works hardware which I've always just used a multipoint box end wrench on the outer bolts and just a socket on the inside. No special tools needed.

The Minerva's are a female triple square. You can use a Torx bit to loosen them if you are careful. Torx's are much easier to find but not an exact fit.
You're a saint.
Do you know the size of the internal (female) triple squares on the minervas?
From what I've read, it looks like work wheels use a male 8mm (or 5/16) triple square - can anyone confirm that's the same size for the rear of the minervas and the front of the Advans?

Thanks!!

Edit: also, will spline drive sockets work on male triple square hex bolts?
My understanding is that the spline drive has 60 degree angles on each of the 12 teeth compared to the XZN/triple square's 90 degree angles, also on 12 teeth.

Last edited by adey; 06-10-2016 at 01:07 PM..
Old 06-10-2016, 06:36 PM   #815
theStig880
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
I just bought a pair of GT-Cs and was told by VR Wheels that they can't be turned into 3-pieces, since the bolts are too far apart... which would cause the rims to leak air from the seam, between the bolts.

Not sure if silicone/sealant alone would be enough to prevent air leakage, but I imagine welding would.

Interested to hear/see if anyone has done this - they say they have, but have yet to see pics or details on how it was done!
VrWheels is typically pretty knowledgeable and I'd put a lot of weight behind their opinion. That said, I'd still ask some other company's their opinion because I have definitely seen relipped GTC's. Silicone should keep them sealed if done correctly but if you're really scared it wouldnt be impossible to have them rewelded and siliconed on top (although I think thats overkill).

Quote:
You're a saint.
Do you know the size of the internal (female) triple squares on the minervas?
From what I've read, it looks like work wheels use a male 8mm (or 5/16) triple square - can anyone confirm that's the same size for the rear of the minervas and the front of the Advans?

Thanks!!

Edit: also, will spline drive sockets work on male triple square hex bolts?
My understanding is that the spline drive has 60 degree angles on each of the 12 teeth compared to the XZN/triple square's 90 degree angles, also on 12 teeth.
I havent worked on Minvera's so I dont know offhand but I'm fairly confident they are 8mm internal threads but the bolt itself is an m7x24.5. Its the more standard triple square wheel bolt size but is a weird bolt otherwise.

Also, a spline drive should work fine but I've alway used torx or an actual triple square bit for those bolts. They're relatively low torque so as long as they arent rusted and close fit, they wont strip the bolts.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:06 PM   #816
red240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
red240 is a jewel in the roughred240 is a jewel in the roughred240 is a jewel in the roughred240 is a jewel in the roughred240 is a jewel in the roughred240 is a jewel in the roughred240 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:

My rears are 3 piece from the factory according to Volk when I ordered them, they are 18x11 +19 now,the fronts are 2 piece, 17x9 +20 I need both of them re lipped
Just looked at them and the rears are 3 piece for sure, fronts are not
red240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:49 AM   #817
adey
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red240 View Post
My rears are 3 piece from the factory according to Volk when I ordered them, they are 18x11 +19 now,the fronts are 2 piece, 17x9 +20 I need both of them re lipped
Just looked at them and the rears are 3 piece for sure, fronts are not
Very interesting. Could you share some pics of your rear GTCs? I have GT-Ps as well, and in 18*10+12 they are also one-piece. (Will take a look again when I take the tires off)

Also, let us know how the re-lipping goes, especially for the two piece GTC.

Last edited by adey; 06-12-2016 at 12:30 PM..
Old 06-14-2016, 05:29 AM   #818
red240
Zilvia Junkie

red240 is a jewel in the roughred240 is a jewel in the roughred240 is a jewel in the roughred240 is a jewel in the roughred240 is a jewel in the roughred240 is a jewel in the roughred240 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Very interesting. Could you share some pics of your rear GTCs? I have GT-Ps as well, and in 18*10+12 they are also one-piece. (Will take a look again when I take the tires off)

Also, let us know how the re-lipping goes, especially for the two piece GTC.
I'll get some pic's and post them, haven't found anyone who has lips to fit this bolt pattern yet though
Old 06-15-2016, 11:11 AM   #819
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Is there a WheelFlip rep here on Zilvia? I've tried calling multiple times and sent an email a couple weeks ago, and I still haven't heard from them.

I'd like to buy new BBS RS lips, 4" measured to the bead seat, 4.5" measured to the outer lip edge. Generally this would be considered a 4" lip, IIRC. Their site lists various lip sizes up to 6.5", but it doesn't explicitly state how the lip dimensions are measured.

I just want to confirm with them which lip size I should order before I poop money away.

Picture because everyone likes pictures

Old 06-15-2016, 11:22 AM   #820
theStig880
Zilvia Junkie

All lips regardless of manufacturer should measure from the flat edge that mounts to the face to the edge of where the bead of the tire seals. There should be a half inch seam that extends past the measured part that holds the bead on. Basically a 4" lip would be about 4.5" total width but only 4" more of tire mountable area.

Wheelflip is also notoriously hard to get ahold of. Vrwheels stocks 4" BBs lips and three piece should get any size. I think memory fab also sells BBS but I'm not sure.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:43 AM   #821
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
^ Right. That's how I've always measured lips, and that's how I ordered some other lips/barrels from VR Wheels.

But WheelFlip doesn't explicitly confirm that on their site, and I'm hesitant to spend hundreds without both parties being on the same page.

Main reason I'm specifically asking about WheelFlip here is because 16x4" BBS lips from WF are $180 each versus $200 each from VR. Any VR rep here wanting to price match? lol
Old 06-16-2016, 06:41 PM   #822
Lil_D
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
Lil_D is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
i just finished sealing my blitz. got the lips and barrels from wheel flip

Old 06-17-2016, 12:58 PM   #823
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Nice bro! What size are those b03's?
Old 06-17-2016, 03:07 PM   #824
Lil_D
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.E View Post
Nice bro! What size are those b03's?

18x11 -12ish.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:16 PM   #825
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
6" lips then?
Old 06-17-2016, 04:49 PM   #826
Lil_D
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.E View Post
6" lips then?
7 inch lips and 4 inch inner barrels
Old 06-17-2016, 08:55 PM   #827
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

7 and 4... Wouldn't that put you into the -30s if not deeper?

Looks sweeeeeeet either way.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:57 PM   #828
DomChan
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
DomChan is making a name for him/her selfDomChan is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysgottaredtop View Post
7 and 4... Wouldn't that put you into the -30s if not deeper?

Looks sweeeeeeet either way.
Dependent on disk type... but yeah 11J -12 sounds conservative for those lip sizes! Lookin' good Derek

VS-KF

18x10 -7
18x11.5 -12

Courtesy of @chamorroboy86 (Instagram app username). 5" and 6.5" outer lips respectively.

DomChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:38 PM   #829
Mister.E
Post Whore!

It's the way that the faces are designed on the blitz wheels.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:54 AM   #830
Tearlessj
Nissanaholic!

Tearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfection
I think i've read it somewhere but wanted to make sure. Does the SSR vienna courage use a standard 40 hole lip? Here's a photo I found of the back of the face.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:19 AM   #831
red240
Zilvia Junkie

So here are the GTC pic's, Front and Rear, You can see that the rear is three piece, not sure if they are welded, I ordered these new 12 years ago, but now that I widened the body more I have spacers, might just sell these and get something else if I can't widen them

Rear

Front

Old 06-19-2016, 11:09 AM   #832
Sumslapper
Zilvia FREAK!

Sumslapper is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearlessj View Post
I think i've read it somewhere but wanted to make sure. Does the SSR vienna courage use a standard 40 hole lip? Here's a photo I found of the back of the face.

SSR uses a slighly smaller bore size than standard and Work on there 40 hole lips
Sumslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:44 PM   #833
Mister.E
Post Whore!

SSR is M7, Work is M8. We wanted to get gold hardware for my friend's SP1's and the holes had to be bored out because they didn't have M7 hardware in gold.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:48 PM   #834
Sumslapper
Zilvia FREAK!

Sumslapper is an unknown quantity at this point
I was talking about the center bore of the lip where the face drops in, not the bolt size. Standard lips are wider so there will be play between the face and lip. Work wheels is slightly bigger than SSR, but smaller than standard. Yes, SSR uses smaller hardware on some sets using M6 and M7 hardware. Work uses M7.
Sumslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:06 AM   #835
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Oh ok, that's what you are trying to say. Same thing happened with my Blitz 03's. I wanted to use the lips from my VS-XX's to rebuild them but it was a no go.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:39 AM   #836
xhjhj

xhjhj is an unknown quantity at this point
here comes a completely useless post but there is a picture of a BWM z3 with the stock rear wheel widened and that was dope as hell and i feel like it had the info about him getting the wheels widened as i think they are 1 piece
xhjhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:36 PM   #837
OMFGeofffff
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
OMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this. Does this look repairable? Debating if I should try fixing it or just relipping them.

OMFGeofffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:19 AM   #838
jsu1012
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
jsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
SSR Minerva's
SL disc 18x9 +37

rechromed faces, new barrels, new lips. 24kt gold hardware. I also scored a mint set of minerva center caps from someone off here.

18x9.5, -12 | 5 inch lips
18x11, -5 | 6 inch lips

@streetstyle_jay
jsu1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:04 PM   #839
Stiveno
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Stiveno is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFGeofffff View Post
Not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this. Does this look repairable? Debating if I should try fixing it or just relipping them.
Is it bent? if you are just talking about the rash yes you should be able to sand and polish that out but it probably isnt going to look good as new. Not sure about bends but ive seen some pretty fucked wheels been refinished to look new.

Here's a pair of weds I polished refinished, If you don't have equipment and value your time you might be better off just buying a new lip.

Stiveno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:50 PM   #840
TheBlackHand
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
TheBlackHand is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Tearlessj.....SSR Vienna Courage uses a 39 hole lip and inner barrel with M6 hardware. I'm currently rebuilding a set and just ordered 6'' lips from threepiece. Here's a pic of the barrel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1029.JPG (90.3 KB, 24 views)
TheBlackHand is offline   Reply With Quote