Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-23-2015, 10:56 AM   #1
sunrat
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
sunrat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S14 Zenki gas tank leaking. Pics included

Hello all,

I noticed the other day that I had a little bit of a gas leak underneath my gas tank. The next day it looked to be a little more of a leak. I looked under the car this morning to try and locate the leak but I could not find the exact spot. I decided to take pictures and hopefully someone can lead me the right way in finding out where it might be coming from and what to do from there.

I guess the worse case scenario is to buy a new gas tank ($450) and enjoy removing the rear subframe so I can install the new tank.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q1gkk7rnm1..._1038.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8u2dxzns93..._1039.JPG?dl=0

I used to arrows to give you an idea where the gas leak seems to be coming from.
sunrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #2
winter
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
winter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Apparently this is a common problem. Probably better off just swapping it. I haven't had this happen to me yet, but you might get lucky and find one off a used car at the JYard, and hope the subframe is already out to save you some time.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:41 AM   #3
sunrat
Leaky Injector

Yea it looks to be a common issue. Well, I guess while I take the subframe out, I can install some new bushings!
Old 01-23-2015, 11:46 AM   #4
datboibrad
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
datboibrad can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I had just put a new set of wheels on my car and drove it around for a day. At the end of that day i gave it a full tank of gas and parked it in my garage. Woke up the next morning and the whole house smelled like gas. I thought about changing out the tank but i put in a fuel cell instead and molded in the gas door.
datboibrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:32 PM   #5
jdizzle9

jdizzle9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by datboibrad View Post
I had just put a new set of wheels on my car and drove it around for a day. At the end of that day i gave it a full tank of gas and parked it in my garage. Woke up the next morning and the whole house smelled like gas. I thought about changing out the tank but i put in a fuel cell instead and molded in the gas door.
I have the same problem. I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet but was undecided on replacing the tank or going the fuel cell route. Do you daily your car? How big is your fuel cell?
jdizzle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:53 PM   #6
datboibrad
Zilvia Addict

datboibrad can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdizzle9 View Post
I have the same problem. I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet but was undecided on replacing the tank or going the fuel cell route. Do you daily your car? How big is your fuel cell?
i drive it every other day now and its a 14 gallon cell. When i first did the cell i drove it every day. i came out cheaper going with the cell. I have heard of people bedlining their leaking tanks and that solving the issue but i wouldnt advise that
datboibrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:31 PM   #7
STEEZxIT
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
STEEZxIT is on the path to ruinSTEEZxIT is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
i had the same issue. i was lucky enough to find a clean replacement around the same time i did my SR swap, so downtime wasn't an issue. if it leaks again i'm going with a ten gallon fuel cell though.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:31 AM   #8
sunrat
Leaky Injector

So I cannot siphon the sob out. Should I just go through the fuel pump opening? Don't turn on the car or anything right?
Old 01-24-2015, 02:23 PM   #9
sunrat
Leaky Injector

Got it to siphon. Def push that tube allllll the way down lol. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422134600.298218.jpg

May have found the crack
Old 01-24-2015, 05:57 PM   #10
JBB
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
JBB is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I have the same issue and haven't fixed mine yet. Mine only seems to leak if I fill it past about 1/2 a tank. I was told to look into the lines coming off of the sending unit as they may have cracked and that's where it might be leaking, might be something worth looking into yourself. Im in the middle of wrapping up my SR swap and haven't bothered to fix it, I figure Ill check the lines when I put in the walbro pump. When it was running though, I just didn't get more than 1/2 a tank of fuel when I hit the gas station
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:37 PM   #11
silviasandbeer
Zilvia Addict

silviasandbeer is an unknown quantity at this point
yup, reall common
mine had it. not as bad as yours, but bad enough to where the cabin would smell like gas after i tanked up. co worker also had the issue on his s14

i hated when people would flick there cigs out in front of me on the freeway.. scared me half to death

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
I'm not kingtalon crazy, but I have standards
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
What age is appropriate to give your kids the sex talk? Is 3 too soon?
silviasandbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:38 PM   #12
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
I've had this happen twice on my Zenki inside of 4 years. It's the one reason I dislike S14's. Having to drop the subframe to replace the tank is such a hassle in comparison to the S13. Finding new fuel tanks is becoming harder & harder. If it happens to me again, I'm definitely going the fuel cell route. Most times, the leak is in the same spot on all our cars & can be mitigated by putting no more than a 1/4 tank of gas in, or 3.5 gallons.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:03 PM   #13
jdizzle9

Quote:
Originally Posted by datboibrad View Post
i drive it every other day now and its a 14 gallon cell. When i first did the cell i drove it every day. i came out cheaper going with the cell. I have heard of people bedlining their leaking tanks and that solving the issue but i wouldnt advise that
Cool thanks for the reply. Seems like this is much more common with TX folks lol. I'm going to have mine replaced with a brand new tank this week and pray it won't crack again.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:05 PM   #14
jdizzle9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrat View Post
Got it to siphon. Def push that tube allllll the way down lol. Attachment 80586

May have found the crack
What are your plans to resolve the leak?
Old 01-26-2015, 09:06 PM   #15
sunrat
Leaky Injector

I think I'll replace the tank. I have to work on it though. It's too cold and windy in Illinois right now lol.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:28 PM   #16
tauntdevil
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
tauntdevil is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Its best to just replace the tank. I have repaired quite a few gas tanks for customers and even though the repairs work just great, it doesnt keep the tank from cracking more or elsewhere and they end up having to come back anyhow and eventually just buy a new tank. Downside to plastic tanks that are roughly 18-20 years old. Would also recommend replacing the hoses as well.

S14 KA NA two cylinders, 75whp limper
tauntdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:13 AM   #17
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I had the same problem back when I had my s14. I used a gas tank repair kit (I think it was made by JB Weld) that I got from the local parts store. It was some sort of putty that you put over the crack and it hardens overnight. It worked for me for about 20k miles until another crack developed on the other side of the tank. If the crack is accessible and your looking for a quick fix to hold you over for awhile I would give a it or a smiler product a try since its cheap and can't hurt anything.
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:05 AM   #18
fullthrottle
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
fullthrottle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
This was a problem on 1995 s14s. That spot on the passenger side strap towards the front of the car. It cracks from stress. Any 96-98 tank should not have this issue. So if you get one from a newer car you should be good to go

I cant be 100% sure about this so please post if you have a 96+ with this leak at this exact spot.
fullthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:13 AM   #19
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdizzle9 View Post
Cool thanks for the reply. Seems like this is much more common with TX folks lol. I'm going to have mine replaced with a brand new tank this week and pray it won't crack again.
Well, if it counts for anything... I had to replace mine twice because I cheaped out the first time by replacing my original tank with a used one. Stupid choice. It was probably about the same age. It started leaking about 2 & a half years later & I waited a year to replace it, driving around with no more than a quarter tank of gas at a time. If you're gonna replace it, do yourself a favor & don't buy used.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:31 PM   #20
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
Fries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yup sucks. Buy new or hope that the used one you get lasts. Good time to upgrade your subframe bushings
Old 02-02-2015, 09:05 PM   #21
Ryanks14
Leaky Injector

Ryanks14 is an unknown quantity at this point
I used JB weld on mine and it's held up for years.
Ryanks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:53 PM   #22
onevia1

onevia1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ended up being a crack? yeah nothing like a fresh gas tank lets be honest here. Anything newer or in better condition that is on mine currently is quickly swapped
onevia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:03 PM   #23
feito
Nissanaholic!

feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
this happened to one of my zenkis right before a potential buyer arrived to check it out lol I ended up taking a loss... These are listed for $450 at frsport, has anybody contacted them to confirm availability?
feito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:10 PM   #24
onevia1

its amazing on the demand side of things. gas tank is 450, but yet the Kouki front lip is roughly 320-350.. you would have thought due to size, effort of manufacture (even though its all mass produced) and material used there would be a substantial price difference brand new. turns out not
Old 02-02-2015, 10:12 PM   #25
mewantkouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (36)
mewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
I thought these things crack from rotten subframe bushings causing the subframe to slam into the tank...
mewantkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:16 PM   #26
onevia1

seems legit. I mean ive seen some bad bushing action, and it seems logcial.