Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 08-10-2023, 07:03 AM   #1
JGP

Trader Rating: (1)
JGP is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
240sx Trans Clutch Drive Issues

Hello,

Need the communities help in diagnosing an issue I have with my manual s13 Ka24e. The car will not shift into gear without stalling and grinding gears. However, when I removed the driveshaft, the car will easily shift into gear and no stalling. I have replaced the master cylinder, reinstalled clutch countless times, replaced slave cylinder, bled lines etc.

Thoughts?

Thanks Everyone!
JGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2023, 07:24 AM   #2
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Have someone press the clutch pedal while watching the movement of the slave cylinder and clutch fork to make sure that the slave cylinder starts pushing the fork basically as soon as the pedal is pressed. If not, then the pedal could be out of adjustment, pedal bracket could be cracked, or the hydraulics are still bad/not fully bled. Is the damper loop still in place? If so this can take a few tries to fully bleed out.

Pull back the fork boot and see if you can make sure the fork is correctly pushing the throwout bearing sleeve through its full range of motion. Make sure the fork is not bent or cracked and the fork pivot ball is not broken.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 07:39 AM   #3
JGP

Thanks for responding. What do you mean damper loop? Any explanation why the car would shift into gear while running with the driveshaft off?

However, I will double check the fork etc. Last I checked everything seem to be in good order, no cracks etc.
Old 08-10-2023, 11:06 AM   #4
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
The damper loop is a pair of junction blocks with a bleeder valve and long loop of hardline attached to the passenger side frame rail in a stock 240SX that's attached in between the hardline that goes over the firewall and the rubber line to the slave. It's very common to just eliminate it even back when these cars were still pretty new because it made bleeding the clutch a pain. It's supposed to damp clutch chatter or something. I have no idea. RHD cars often didn't have it. Yours was probably eliminated by a previous owner.

With the driveshaft off the synchros are doing the work of speeding up/slowing down the output shaft to match the input shaft when you change gear even though the clutch is not fully disengaged. With the driveshaft in the momentum of the car prevents the transmission internals from matching speeds and it grinds.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 01:34 PM   #5
JGP

Thanks for the explanation. Yeah those dampers were removed with the 5 speed swap.
Old 08-18-2023, 10:57 AM   #6
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGP View Post
5 speed swap.
Bingo. Sounds like the auto pilot bushing was not replaced with a manual one. This will certainly cause clutch release issues if it wasn't changed.
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 11:25 AM   #7
JGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
Bingo. Sounds like the auto pilot bushing was not replaced with a manual one. This will certainly cause clutch release issues if it wasn't changed.
Thank you for the info. Im pretty sure I swapped in the new pilot bushing however it's probably worth checking. Im basically a pro at swapping out the trans now.

Thanks Everyone!