Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-26-2008, 01:09 PM   #1
N97746

Trader Rating: (1)
N97746 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
S13 tie rod threads

Anybody know the length of the threaded portion of the tie rod that goes into the outer tie rod end ? Replaced the outer ends when I did the 5 lug swap. Now after I aligned it, seems that I'm showing about 1.25" of thread inboard of the locknut on the right side and only half that on the left side.
Steering wheel is straight and car does not pull when driving. Just want to be sure I have enough thread engaged so the right wheel doesn't go off on its own someday. Thanks
N97746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
xplicit240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
xplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xplicit240
you measure them up to your stock ones.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
N97746

N97746 is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't quite follow what you mean. The rack and tie rods are stock as on the OEM setup. I put on S14 spindles and new outer tie rod ends.
What I really need is someone who has a stock steering rack laying around to measure the length of the threads.
N97746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Make sure your steering rack is centered, it may have been off before and you didn't notice it. Count the amount of turns from center to lock in both directions, it should be almost exactly equal. From what I have seen the s-13 racks cannot be perfectly centered, they always seem to be off by 1/2 tooth or so. It is also possible that one of the tie rods is different than the other. Maybe one has been replaced.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:45 PM   #5
surreybc
Zilvia Junkie

surreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond repute
all i could find in fsm

Front( tie rod end nut is 19 mm. the nut to remove tie rod end. not the castle nut.
Only the toe can be adjusted. The camber however will change as toe is change. You change toe by adjusting tie rod length.
ball joint nut is torqued 22-36 lbs

L=174.8 mm or 6.88 inches from factory. both side have to have the same L after adjustment.
surreybc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
surreybc
Zilvia Junkie

surreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not sure if this is relevant but there is a difference between the passenger and driver side on the s13 per this article

Technical Articles: 240sx low-buck steering rack angle modification
Old 10-26-2008, 09:00 PM   #7
surreybc
Zilvia Junkie

delete delte delete delete