Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:35 AM   #181
lewisfk
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
lewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I got a 30 year mortgage due to the fact I don't live in my house because of military obligations. I make my monthly payment, and 1/2 payment towards the principle. 30 year mortgage is not bad, it gives you flexibility.
lewisfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #182
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRockett View Post
I cringe at the thought of a 40 year mortgage.
Holy crap! You can get such a long borrowing term in the States?

Here in Canada, they changed the longest period from 35, to 30 (without CMHC fees if you put down the 20%). Mine is/was 25 years when it started. I also have accelerated payments (I pay bi-weekly), and I usually add the added extra 10% a year that you can directly apply to the principal amount.

I want this damn thing paid off sooner then later.

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:54 PM   #183
joeapple8
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (32)
joeapple8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
I want to live in a luxury hut close to the beach in south east asia. 10K should do it. Slanging scooter and motorcycle parts in these parts of the world would get me by at least.
joeapple8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:02 AM   #184
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ab View Post
Holy crap! You can get such a long borrowing term in the States?

Here in Canada, they changed the longest period from 35, to 30 (without CMHC fees if you put down the 20%). Mine is/was 25 years when it started. I also have accelerated payments (I pay bi-weekly), and I usually add the added extra 10% a year that you can directly apply to the principal amount.

I want this damn thing paid off sooner then later.
Yep. People are crazy.

As someone mentioned earlier, getting stuck in a 30 year mortgage will be a drag knowing you'll spend more than a quarter of your life working to pay it off (if you get stuck in a high payment situation).

Having purchased a home at such a young age definitely made me feel good, but I much preferred my lifestyle prior to having a mortgage. My other bills have always been there (cell, tv/internet, utilities), but eliminating my mortgage would put a nice chunk of change back into my savings. Or better yet, I'd finish building one of my damn cars.

Can't wait for the day I make my last payment.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:38 AM   #185
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Trader Rating: (1)
exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Eh, its the cost of living. I have 3 children and their education and safety are my main concerns. The house we just bought is in the school district with the #2 ranked HS school in the state and there's virtually no crime. Sure I could have bought a house for $100 less and paid the thing off in probably 5 years if I wanted but kids come first and as a parent you make sacrifices.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:43 AM   #186
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Worked on this all day Saturday. Still need to put crown below the mantle. Oh and get a new fucking TV. That 32" looked fine on the wall in my last kitchen. Now it looks like a postage stamp.

One of my favorite things about the house so far. I can grill and watch the game!

(kinda hard to see the TV through the window reflections)

Oh and had a new address plaque made.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:28 PM   #187
JohnnyDrfiter22
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
JohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exitspeed, I think with a room that large it would have been awesome to update the mantle with a modern look of stone and extend to the ceiling. It be a great focal point for that room and the rest of the room looks modern already.
JohnnyDrfiter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:50 PM   #188
BOROSUN
Post Whore!

BOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfection
cover up that brick with faux thin slab stones in light greyish neutral colors. contras from the darker wall and flooring.

or go all the way up. like this...
BOROSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:38 PM   #189
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Any home owners here know of any home decor/improvement forums they like to go to?
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:39 PM   #190
l adam l
Zilvia Member

l adam l is an unknown quantity at this point
Can't stand having my TV up that high. Can't do fireplacr...although it's a good use of space.

I have 30 year mortgage. If you pay an extra payment a year you knock like 7 years off... 100k loan...700 a month... 700 extra towards principle per year times 23 years is 16,100. It's amazing what you pay in taxes at first.

i paid 96k for my hud home...needed work. Still needs some, but the home is 2200 square feet and the average home around my neighborhood is 150k and 1500 square feet. I've put about 10 ggrand into it and should be able to sell it for 180kish, theoretically 220k but I doubt it...lose so much money renting.
l adam l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #191
JohnnyDrfiter22
Zilvia Addict

JohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Any home owners here know of any home decor/improvement forums they like to go to?

Houzz.com HGTV.com and DIYnetwork.com
JohnnyDrfiter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:25 AM   #192
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOROSUN View Post
cover up that brick with faux thin slab stones in light greyish neutral colors. contras from the darker wall and flooring.

or go all the way up. like this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDrfiter22 View Post
Exitspeed, I think with a room that large it would have been awesome to update the mantle with a modern look of stone and extend to the ceiling. It be a great focal point for that room and the rest of the room looks modern already.
We might do something else with it down the road. The majority of our budget went to the kitchen/bath/powder room remodel. So the fireplace thing was just sort if a temporary thing. That cost all of $75 to do.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:32 AM   #193
Driftwire
Zilvia Addict

Driftwire is an unknown quantity at this point
Well shit Im 25, I dont even know how the fuck to afford a home. Not even a small ass home. Time to get some advice or help locally.

#UneducatedOnThis
Did you check the potato fuse located in the front right corner of your gas tank?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB33 View Post
No i haven't. To be honest i didnt know there was a fuse there. Thats not a fuse for the fuel pump is it?
Driftwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:32 AM   #194
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwire View Post
Well shit Im 25, I dont even know how the fuck to afford a home. Not even a small ass home. Time to get some advice or help locally.

#UneducatedOnThis
You are the type of person I was thinking of when I said: seek out a first time home buyers seminar. You'll get valuable info there. You'll be surprised at how much assistance is out there to help you with down payments & closing costs. Thanks, Obama! Lol

But for some generalities, search online for a mortgage calculator, plug your info in & it will tell you a ballpark figure about how much of a mortgage you might be able to afford based on your current income & debt.

Once you know that dollar amount, browse around zillow & trulia to get an idea of how far that dollar amount goes & what kind of home it might be able to afford.

You have to set realistic expectations. If you're living ok in a 1 bedroom apartment, try looking at condos that match your current specifications. In most cases, the monthly mortgage cost to own that space will be lower than if you were renting that space. Even after you add in the taxes & insurances that you're gonna need, typically, its still cheaper than renting, if you spread the mortgage out over 30 years. Just be disciplined enough to pay it off early.

Or take a similar approach with a two bedroom condo, get a roommate and charge them the rental rate....hehehe...

The more info you gather on the subject, the more strategies you'll be able to make so that you come out on top.

The fun part starts when you begin considering location & how much the home might increase in value because of stuff going on around it.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:27 AM   #195
DrtyRat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
DrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwire View Post

#UneducatedOnThis
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1

Once you know that dollar amount, browse around zillow & trulia to get an idea of how far that dollar amount goes & what kind of home it might be able to afford.

Even after you add in the taxes & insurances that you're gonna need, typically, its still cheaper than renting, if you spread the mortgage out over 30 years.
Be very mindful of you taxes & insurances living in Florida. When we bought our house and they gave us an estimated payment, we thought it sounded too low, but the lady usured us that it should be close to that because she was using the highest insurance estimates. However when the insurance/tax quotes came back she was floored at how high they are here.

Quote:
America... Too soft to place a killer in a well deserved tomb, But brave enough to kill a baby before he leaves the womb
DrtyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #196
Driftwire
Zilvia Addict

Driftwire is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmm well i make shit ass money so as soon as I can make some extra money or if i land this new job I should be able to afford a decent spot for now. Finish school in August.
Did you check the potato fuse located in the front right corner of your gas tank?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB33 View Post
No i haven't. To be honest i didnt know there was a fuse there. Thats not a fuse for the fuel pump is it?
Driftwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:43 PM   #197
Otto347
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Otto347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
This is how you afford shit...........

Otto347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:15 PM   #198
imotion s14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
imotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Most people can't. It's a cultural phenomenon of the mid 20th century that is reversing. Tying yourself down to a local economy in a global age seems pretty stupid.

The majority of people can't afford the trust cost of home ownership. Like my $6000 sewer line repair.

I could have invested that in equity and got better returns in 30 years

But hey at least you can turn up your home theater system!
imotion s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:05 AM   #199
midnight zenki
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
midnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto347 View Post
This is how you afford shit...........

This is how it's done. Got make that dual income, then the kids creep in and you subtract a bag of your cash and then another kid pops up and the cash is all gone.

Exitspeed hit the nail on the head though, make the sacrifice for a house that meets all those necessities about saftey, schools etc and its worth the payement if you have children. I am in the same exact boat
midnight zenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:51 AM   #200
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by imotion s14 View Post
Most people can't. It's a cultural phenomenon of the mid 20th century that is reversing. Tying yourself down to a local economy in a global age seems pretty stupid.

The majority of people can't afford the trust cost of home ownership. Like my $6000 sewer line repair.

I could have invested that in equity and got better returns in 30 years

But hey at least you can turn up your home theater system!
I've got a proper contingency fund that I put money into monthly. I won't be caught with my pants down if something bad happens out of the blue. I'd file that under the cost of living. Stuff like that shouldn't be a second thought if you own a house.

And I LOVE to turn my HT up proper for movie night

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #201
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Thought about the brick around the fireplace. Think we're going to do some natural ledger stone tile over the brick.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:24 PM   #202
lewisfk
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
lewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
s13 Home

You can pay for a home warranty program that covers the cost of major repairs. Your only responsible for the lines under the house until it ties into the city lines. Do you live outside city limits, and use a septic tank? My home warranty is through Old Republic.
lewisfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:04 AM   #203
Ramonesfreak2010
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Ramonesfreak2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I hate the fact that I live in an area where houses are $500k+.
Ramonesfreak2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:24 AM   #204
K_style
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
Is anybody from Capital Region in NY?

Need local advise... most house here seem pretty old.. not sure if it make sense to buy old ass house with land so I can build up my own? or buy something decent so I can do some upgrades...
Worst part here is, no one seem to have a large sized garage..

Seriously need to buy house ASAP!!! I am done with paying RENT!!!
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:40 PM   #205
soundboy
Zilvia Junkie

soundboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Build it.

It always ends up better.
soundboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:42 PM   #206
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundboy View Post
Build it.

It always ends up better.

...and over budget
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:31 PM   #207
dbeiler
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
For those of you who haven't yet bothered doing the math on 30yr vs 15yr mortgages:

Median U.S. home price is roughly $200,000. Dude A and Dude B each save up enough cash to cover 20% down and closing costs.

Dude A chooses a 30yr mortgage for the remaining $160,000 with (today's average) interest rate of 4%. His monthly mortgage payment is $764.

Dude B chooses a 15yr mortgage for the remaining $160,000 with (today's average) interest rate of 3.3%. His monthly mortgage payment is $1128.

After the first 5 years:
Dude A has paid
$15,284 towards his principle
$30,556 in interest
He still has 25 years of payments and a remaining balance of $144,716.

Dude B has paid
$44,825 towards his principle
$22,855 in interest
He still has 10 years of payments and a remaining balance of $115,175.

Over the course of their respective mortgage payoffs:
Dude A will pay a whopping total of $114,991 in interest alone!
Dude B will pay a total of $43,069 in interest.

Dude B buys a brand new Corvette with the $70K he saved on his mortgage.
He lives happily ever after. The end.

*all numbers courtesy of www.creditkarma.com
dbeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:49 PM   #208
MADE
Zilvia Addict

MADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant future
I think a lot of people don't put the 20% down.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:50 PM   #209
Corbic
Post Whore!

^ it's true. Interest payments are murder.

My idiot Sister and Her douche husband just bought a house for 190k on a 30.

Dumb fucks still have not figured out the $800 payment does not include PMI, Insurance and Taxes.

I looked up Colorado Springs tax rate and it's going to be like $4,500 a year....
Old 01-06-2015, 03:52 PM   #210
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADE View Post
I think a lot of people don't put the 20% down.

Few can, hence PMI.

It's hard saving up $20-50k cash in a reasonable amount of time while living in a reasonable rental or apartment.

They type of guy that can stack $40k in a year is also likely looking at million dollar homes, so making more doesn't help.