Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
KyleT
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
KyleT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
RB25 Tach resistor help

Me and a friend did the maxima/i30 tach mod to his s13 cluster. We followed everything in this guide: I30 tach in s13 cluster. Success! Lots of pics! Tach for 6 cyl! : 240sx General Discussion

When to turn the key on and could smell a slight burning smell. Turn it off and traced it back to the ecu where I see one of the resistors seems burnt.

Its the same resistor as the one pictures here (not my picture just one I found on here)

(not my picture just one I found on here) Although his doesnt seem as melted as the one pictured, Im guessing its still no good.

I just want to know why the resistor fried? It seems I have everything wired up correctly according to the guide on nicoclub. And could another resistor be soldered in to replace the fried one? Does it affect anything else besides the tach not working? What can I do to fix it?
KyleT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
almost willing to bet that if you did that ghetto ass connection of that Yellow wire, that your also touching another circuit thats probably a ground.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
KyleT
Leaky Injector

We pulled the cluster out to recheck all the connections on the back and the main thing I saw was the tach signal ring connector(circled in yellow) was touching part of the cluster circuit a little bit.

I am thinking this is maybe why it fried the resistor. But I think the only circuit in that area is for the illumination. Feel free to correct me though because I dont have the cluster to look at.

Does anybody know the resistance of that resistor on the ecu if I were to check it with an ohmmeter?
Old 07-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
KyleT
Leaky Injector

Would getting a new resistor soldered on the ecu fix the tach if the resistor is completely smoked?

Any one know the resistance of that resistor?
Old 07-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
KyleT
Leaky Injector

Here is a picture of his ecu and the damage

What do you guys think?
Old 07-19-2012, 12:48 AM   #6
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleT View Post

What do you guys think?

I think it looks Burnt.....

Replacing it would work if your lucky and didnt burn up the track as well.

Just find another ECU, ppl sell them all the time on here
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
KyleT
Leaky Injector

Here is an picture of the cluster and the way we have it wired up. Does everything look right now?

Like i said I think the tach signal terminal(the one by the connector) was touching part of the cluster circuit. We trimmed some of the blue copper circuit away from the terminal now.

The tach still doesnt work Im guessing its because the resistor is fried and theres a break in the circuit there.