Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:21 PM   #211
ledzeppelin240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
ledzeppelin240 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did you read the rest of that thread you posted???

Quote:
The problem with a VG30DE is that is an extremely heavy engine, i remember i saw a thread in TT.net where a guy weighed one, and fully dressed it weighed like 624 lbs, and with the transmission attached it was almost 746 lbs . in fact, there was a guy that put an LS1 in a Z and he said that fully dressed the LS1 weighed approx. 150 less than a NA VG.
There is so much mangled information on the internet. I am personally going to weigh the KA myself and the LS1. No matter how it goes stock for stock LS1 will be quicker....I see where you got the picture from, but thats only 29lbs. difference between the KQ and VQ, removing all A/C and other non used stuff off my KA lightened the engine bay by about 50lbs. and the front end of my car did not pop up like that....So i duno what is going on there.
Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.

Looking for: JDM S13 OEM Sideskirts
ledzeppelin240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2006, 09:47 PM   #212
Iceman00
Zilvia Member

Iceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymore
Its Sitting further back. VQ > VG.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:30 PM   #213
zenkis1495
Leaky Injector

zenkis1495 is on the path to ruinzenkis1495 is on the path to ruin
Is this what happens when rednecks want to drift?
zenkis1495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:16 PM   #214
ledzeppelin240
Zilvia Addict

I guess they put larger displacement engines and funking rip it up...Torque is good, and with a LS1 you get it. Do you have the balls to drive this bottomless pit of torque???

Ok Hinson Super Cars states the Stock KA w/tranny=596lbs. and a Stock LS1 w/tranny =470lbs. Which means the LS1 is 128lbs lighter, so you should contact them with the correct weights...
Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:08 AM   #215
Kinematics
Leaky Injector

Kinematics is making a name for him/her selfKinematics is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808
Now if i wanted to do the most basic swap. I would atleast do the following.

Cam $190-$300
Timing chain (zo6) $80.00
Cromoly pushrods $90.00
Valve springs (dual) $200.00
Titainium retainers $75.00
160 Deg T-stat $50.00
Underdrive pulley $140-280
Belt tensioner $150-200
Clutch $300-$$$$$
ECU tuning software. $500-1800
Why?

How is adding all that crap to an LS1 make it a "most basic" swap? You mean a "most basic" swap with an extra couple grand in unnecessary parts attached for no reason. The cluch, few maintenance items understandable. The cam, pushrods, etc? No wonder people think this swap is so expensive, when you (Zilvia's appointed v8 resource) considers all these extra parts a necessity to any LS1 swap.

Sounds like overkill to me. If an LS1 in an FD with headers and some other minor things nets you high 11s... putting all those extra parts on the motor to make it even FASTER before you've even driven the thing is just making the initial cost even larger and would make the car even scarier. I am sure high 11s is faster than 95% of what all of Zilvia has ever gone in the quarter, and the amount of power a stock LS1 makes is more than enough for road racing, drifting, drag, whatever..

The buttload of torque the LS1 makes also (in my opinion) will be a lot more of a handful in a light S-chassis car. Naturally aspirated 300+hp/tq is a lot different than the same amount of power with a turbo, and the ability to spin the tires in any gear at any speed is definitely not something to tool around with. I can just think of all the idiots who drop the money to get this done and then think they can floor it anywhere they go like anyone can with an SR. There are plenty of videos online of Corvettes, FBodies, etc.. banging 2nd while WOT and just going completely sideways and losing control. I am sure losing control in an S-chassis car wouldn't take much effort at all.

There has also been a lot of talk in this thread regarding the poor oil pickup system. If we have to convert to a GTO oilpan/pickup.. uhh.. hello?! How many GTOs are out there road racing, drifting, etc, without any oil pickup or sump problems? Can't we just leave the motor stock and not nitpick and waste more money over false issues like this? at the very least, get a girdle or baffles for the oil pan. I guess that's the problem with us S-chassis guys, we can't just leave something alone, it has to be modified to the fullest extent possible.

-------------------------------

What is the solution for making an LS1 compatable with stock s-chassis gauges? Will there be any change in the output signal necessary to make the speedometer and tachometer work?

As for the rear end, Ivan with the 9.22sec S14 is on the stock (welded) rear end and axles. So I think replacing those things is just another unnecessary cost seeing as how they will handle a ton of power.

I am a bit skeptical about the marketing of the Hinsen kit. The kit for the FC is less than 400 dollars, but the S14/S13 is over a thousand. The FC even is a custom piece, and not just a modification of the subframe that you have to ship in. I understand costs for research, design, etc.. but considering that a completely custom kit for the FC is 600 dollars cheaper sounds backwards to me.

I am exploring other options beyond the Hinsen kit. I also have access for fabrication, so that will give me an advantage over those who may not. This swap in my opinion can be done for a lot cheaper than some of the quotes listed in this thread so far, and hopefully I will be the one to prove it. A stock LS1 would be more than enough for me and just about everyone else out there considering this swap, and if for whatever reason it isn't, you can always add a 150 shot. I am surprised no one has yet mentioned how much LS1s love the juice. Before any of you say "Hey dumbshit, you can't drift with nitrous," you guys should all think how the fuck you expect to drift and have any sense of control when you have 400ft-lbs of naturally aspirated torque, too.

Hopefully what I have typed up raises some further thought into the LS1 swap.

Last edited by Kinematics; 10-19-2006 at 06:20 AM..
Kinematics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:11 AM   #216
Neejay
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinematics
Hopefully what I have typed up raises some further thought into the LS1 swap.
Very good points...

In your opinion, what should be an estimated price of this swap (stock)?

I have always said if I did this swap, staying stock would be plenty for me...with the exception of a few very MINOR upgrades.
Neejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:13 AM   #217
Kinematics
Leaky Injector

Kinematics is making a name for him/her selfKinematics is making a name for him/her self
It really depends on how much fabrication you are willing to do yourself, and how much you get the motor for.

I am thinking closer to the 5k range assuming you can get a motor and trans for around 3k. I have seen modified motors sell for that much on LS1 forums, you could probably find a low milage stock one in a junk yard or on Craigslist. They seem to sell (motor alone) for around 2000-2500 on Ebay.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:27 AM   #218
Neejay
Post Whore!

Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
Quote:
It really depends on how much fabrication you are willing to do yourself, and how much you get the motor for.

I am thinking closer to the 5k range assuming you can get a motor and trans for around 3k. I have seen modified motors sell for that much on LS1 forums, you could probably find a low milage stock one in a junk yard or on Craigslist. They seem to sell (motor alone) for around 2000-2500 on Ebay.
What about someone who would have to pay for everything? I dont have garage space nor a driveway to do any fabrication of any sort. I would assume that this is a costly swap for anyone who would have to pay for EVERYTHING.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:47 AM   #219
Kinematics
Leaky Injector

Not sure, there are really too many factors involved. It sounds like you would be stuck getting the Hinsen kit, which unless they lower the price anytime soon is going to add a grand to your swap. You'll also have to determine what to do about exhaust.. I already have a 3" catback and was just going to route the exhaust from the LS1 to it, and have an electric cutout installed at a later date. You could get away with this on the stock exhaust, though the motor would be pretty choked if you wanted to get on it without a cutout.

It really just depends on how cheap you can manage to find parts for, and labor for things like the exhaust, driveshaft, or any installations that you wouldn't be doing.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:21 PM   #220
Neejay
Post Whore!

Quote:
Not sure, there are really too many factors involved. It sounds like you would be stuck getting the Hinsen kit, which unless they lower the price anytime soon is going to add a grand to your swap. You'll also have to determine what to do about exhaust.. I already have a 3" catback and was just going to route the exhaust from the LS1 to it, and have an electric cutout installed at a later date. You could get away with this on the stock exhaust, though the motor would be pretty choked if you wanted to get on it without a cutout.

It really just depends on how cheap you can manage to find parts for, and labor for things like the exhaust, driveshaft, or any installations that you wouldn't be doing.
hmm...true. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:26 PM   #221
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
"Reliability Mods"

The LS1 mods listed above could mostly be considered reliability mods. The pushrods have been known to bend for no reason. The stock cams are insanely conservative (thus the 28mpg), and consequently so are the valve springs. And the cost benefit ratio of a cam swap is too good to ignore. For a total cost of $650 (less if you really shop around or buy a used cam) you can raise the rev limit safely to almost 7000 rpm (stock LS1 is 5800 to 6600 depending on model) and raise the rwhp +50 with almost no loss of low end torque, all while gaining reliability. I don't care how cheap you are. That's hard to ignore.

Cam 175-360
springs 125-200
pushrods 99-150
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:00 PM   #222
warmmilk

warmmilk is an unknown quantity at this point
to the guy that can't stop talking about weight, the ka was weighed with the auto tranny, stock cast exhaust mani and stock cats, where as the ls1 with a manual tranny, stainless headers and no cats

so with every thing being equal they would probably weigh about the same but with much more potential

post # 119 http://www.torquecentral.com/showthr...4&page=5&pp=25
warmmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:21 PM   #223
Kinematics
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicBastard
The LS1 mods listed above could mostly be considered reliability mods. The pushrods have been known to bend for no reason. The stock cams are insanely conservative (thus the 28mpg), and consequently so are the valve springs. And the cost benefit ratio of a cam swap is too good to ignore. For a total cost of $650 (less if you really shop around or buy a used cam) you can raise the rev limit safely to almost 7000 rpm (stock LS1 is 5800 to 6600 depending on model) and raise the rwhp +50 with almost no loss of low end torque, all while gaining reliability. I don't care how cheap you are. That's hard to ignore.

Cam 175-360
springs 125-200
pushrods 99-150

Hi, we are talking about a stock setup. Not everyone wants to drop mods into the motor right away, and want to keep the initial startup cost to a minumum.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:42 PM   #224
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
No, you were talking about being cheap. If you're going to do something do it right. And with an LS1 that includes new pushrods and a clutch, like blu808 stated.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:29 PM   #225
fouz

fouz is an unknown quantity at this point
just some of my opinion. i could be wrong.

well as far as hitting the 5k mark for this swap. getting a motor set and getting it in the car is just step one out of like five . first you will need a atleast a new fuel pump, a FPR, new lines (maybe use the old ones). then a radiator, fan, hoses. new clutch master, clutch line. new drive shaft. a gto oil pan, windage tray, pick up tube, dip stick. removing VATS and rear O2 sensors (or a vats bypass). then headers and exhausts. i think people are finding ways to use the stock headers but you'll have to search a bit on that. now, just the above will run you no less then $1500. around that number (its just a fast guess, if you can get it all for that price, buy it). i think 6k is about the cheapest you could get it done. and thats alot of shoping around and R&D. but you should have more money to make sure you can finish. i gambled on my stock clutch and got lucky. i never pulled the tranny from the engine and hoped i got lucky. my prices have alot of litte stuff. like gauges, steering wheels, relocating battery, a $50 fuse for the battery, rear end and some misc stuff. i tryed to get as cheap as possible but do it as right as i could for the money. just expect to pay alittle more then you planed. my goal was $7500 and i got real close. my other goal is rims, tires, paint and the swap at 10k. im like most people. i aint rich and been saving for awhile to do something like this. you only live once and you cant take it with you.
fouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:01 PM   #226
warmmilk

warmmilk is an unknown quantity at this point
fouz,
post some pics and a vid of your car
warmmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:24 PM   #227
fouz

pics, tomorrow maybe. video, in a few weeks, dyno and 1/8 mile track. car is stock tuned ATM. i wanna dyno tune it before going to the track. a link to some pics a few pages back. none of it finished yet.

just added two pics to the theard. was late so...

Last edited by fouz; 10-20-2006 at 07:37 PM..
Old 10-21-2006, 01:58 PM   #228
Iceman00
Zilvia Member

Iceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmmilk
to the guy that can't stop talking about weight, the ka was weighed with the auto tranny, stock cast exhaust mani and stock cats, where as the ls1 with a manual tranny, stainless headers and no cats

so with every thing being equal they would probably weigh about the same but with much more potential

post # 119 http://www.torquecentral.com/showthr...4&page=5&pp=25
Maybe you should read what I posted. I don't know HOW Henson got his weights, but they are Wrong.

An LS1 Motor does NOT weight around 360lbs. The T56 Transmission on its own is around 130lbs or more. I'm not buying it, nor should you.

Don't belive me? Look it up!

Both Sport compact, and and that guys resluts (look at the link I posted) match. Brians is way off the mark.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:24 PM   #229
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

I think that Brian's only mistake was that he listed the LS1s weight as including the trans. Sport compact just listed the ls1s fully dressed weight as 480 something. Which sounds about right considering that the original SBC is commonly known to wiegh about 575 and the lightweight (by domestic v8 standards) ford 302 is known to weigh about 510.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:07 PM   #230
ledzeppelin240
Zilvia Addict

Well I will no longer use weight as a reason to do the swap then, cause the weights appear to be quite close between the stock KA and LS1. Nothing beats V8 tq/hp in a 2600lb. car

Old 10-22-2006, 12:38 AM   #231
Jesses240
Leaky Injector

Jesses240 is making a name for him/her selfJesses240 is making a name for him/her selfJesses240 is making a name for him/her self
Where are you guys finding these 2000-2500$ motor/tranny combos!

I havent seen anything for less than 5k on ebay

I've been waiting to find a ls1 motor tranny and seriously 5k is the lowest ive seen...
Jesses240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:57 AM   #232
fouz

dunno about your area but go to your local junkyard. almost every time i walk in one around here they have one sitting on a stand in the front. most give you a warranty. and some you give you more time on the warranty if you tell them its in a project car. being as you cant go home and have it up and running in a week. just ask, all they can say is "no". ask if they can ring it up with no taxes. some of them around here will. again all they can say is "no". and try to talk em down on the price.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:03 PM   #233
Ghostdrifter
Zilvia Member

Ghostdrifter is making a name for him/her selfGhostdrifter is making a name for him/her self
Quote:

I've seen one on craigslist motor and tranny for 2k.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:06 PM   #234
Ghostdrifter
Zilvia Member

Ghostdrifter is making a name for him/her selfGhostdrifter is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesses240
Where are you guys finding these 2000-2500$ motor/tranny combos!

I havent seen anything for less than 5k on ebay

I've been waiting to find a ls1 motor tranny and seriously 5k is the lowest ive seen...
Down south here with the good 'ol boys
where Chevy is the king and Ford is the prince LOL
Old 10-25-2006, 07:14 PM   #235
Iceman00
Zilvia Member

I emailed Brain, and He's the responce I got

"We weighed an LS2 tonight, and it would appear that our initial numbers are off. We'll update our website when we finalize the information.
Brian Hinson
HinsonSuperCars.com
205.887.5161"
Old 11-09-2006, 09:33 PM   #236
MURPHY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
MURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MURPHY
already started saving. gonna shoot for under or about 5k with me doing wiring, exhaust, headers, having a shop do drive shaft and using a large (idk what will fit) radiator with a Taurus fan, etc. But for fuel, i haven't had any bright ideas, anyone got any? lol

p.s. is this daily driver material? idk if i should drop it in my daily or an extra chassis. im thinking in the dd would be fine
MURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:04 PM   #237
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

doesn't get any cheaper than a walbro 341 and it will support well over 600hp
Old 11-09-2006, 10:19 PM   #238
MURPHY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
MURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MURPHY
ok. cool cool. i deff think i can get it for under 5k. i have a friend who did it in a rx7 and all the radiator and everything cost 200$ for universal stuff. so i think with enough help, shopping and time i can do it for 5k. idk how long until i do it tho, hopefully not to long.

any idea how much gas a 240ls1 would get? since the ls1 gets 28 (right?) and then into a lighter chassis
MURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:31 PM   #239
ledzeppelin240
Zilvia Addict

I have heard number of 32-34mpg. It will definatly get some decent milage though as long as its not WOT. Shoot me some sites or info on the universal stuff you find. HSC has as nice fuel setup so you could get ideas from that and go from there.

Iceman00 I figure after looking around some that the LS1 is going to weigh about 596lbs. so that is the same as the KA??? But when you get the figures I am interested because I was close minded before.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:04 PM   #240
drift donkey
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
drift donkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
240sx V8

I think these guys are going to be putting out a kit some time in the near future.

www.grannysspeedshop.com

sorry if it doesn't pop as a link.
drift donkey is offline   Reply With Quote