Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #15181
David48
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
David48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to David48
Good single cams are worth no more than 100. A good tranny is easily worth around 100
Old 10-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #15182
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Not around here.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #15183
juhd
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
juhd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
one of my studs on my rear wheel came loose so that means i cant take of my wheel. When trying to take off the lug nut it just spins with the stud. I searched and found that people used a dremel or an impact wrench or even welding the back but i wanna know if theres any other way to get it off.
juhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #15184
4g240

Trader Rating: (0)
4g240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Actually tacking it with a welder seems like a good idea, once the lug nut is off break the tack with either a chisel or grinder then replace the stud. ( this would be a good excuse for arp studs if you do any sort of auto sport with your car )
4g240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #15185
Grocery Cart
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Grocery Cart is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
An alternator can't cause a car to idle rough and slowly die right? As in, if the car starts and the alternator belt is loose, the car won't slowly idle worse until it dies, it would run off the battery wouldn't it? Given the battery is known good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Grocery Cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #15186
Tempo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (39)
Tempo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempo View Post
General insurance question:
I have full coverage insurance and my neighbor f**ked up my car while I was parked. .

Long story short they're most likely going to total my car tomorrow my claims adjuster(has a s13) said they're going to base a price for my car from cars on autotrader, the only one on there is bone stock auto for 8k.

My question is how much would they be paying me to total my car because im doubtful ill be getting anything near that much.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
bamp, 1996 S14 5 speed - clean title as of now. let me know guys !

IG - allen.kerose
Tempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:30 AM   #15187
GeneStarWindGSW
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (21)
GeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Is a subframe from a 97-01 Q45 similar/identical to a s14 subframe? I was comparing photos of each one and they look pretty idenitical except for two exhaust hangers on each side of the subframe.
GeneStarWindGSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:54 AM   #15188
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempo View Post
General insurance question:
I have full coverage insurance and my neighbor f**ked up my car while I was parked. .

Long story short they're most likely going to total my car tomorrow my claims adjuster(has a s13) said they're going to base a price for my car from cars on autotrader, the only one on there is bone stock auto for 8k.

My question is how much would they be paying me to total my car.

I have been through this twice in less than a year...I can be considered a subject matter expert

The first thing you need to do is look really hard at YOUR car and what it was. IF you had upgraded ecu, new brakes, new suspension, etc, look nationwide for cars that are prepped like yours for sale in Modified cars, and autotrader. This will tell you what your car is worth in the lowest amount to the highest amount. Get ALL those figures, and find the average.

OR you can take essentially 3500 for a very clean S13, 4500 for a very clean 95 S14, 5500 for a very clean 96 S14, and 6500 for a very clean low mileage 97 - 98, then take the total value of each new part you added at cost, then subtract 60%, and add that figure to the value of the car. These two numbers will give you a pretty close estimate to what you should get, IF, your insurance guy is telling you the truth and not blowing smoke up your ass.

Experience: 1996 zenki, new windshield, new brakes, new stereo, ss exhaust, only needed paint, valued by Nissan Used Car Manager at 'oh I would set it on the lot for 7,000 and take the first 6500 offer'
I got 6300 + 574(tax, License, document fees) AFTER fighting with them, sending a complaint to the insurance board, and going up three managers over the course of 4 months.

1996 zenki, total exterior restoration, new windows and seals, perfect body, new brakes, ss exhaust, intake, ecu, perfect interior... Nissan Used Car Manager firm at $6500, damaged at $4500 car gets repaired not totaled...still fighting because TN has 'comparative fault' which the at fault party is claiming, but strong evidence shows 100% fault on the other party, still fighting after three months to recover cash since insurance company is refusing to pay pother party AND me, FUCK STATE FARM!
Old 10-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #15189
warnner

warnner is an unknown quantity at this point
Does a welded diff really wear your tires fast? For daily driving

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
warnner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #15190
DialedLife
Zilvia Member

DialedLife is an unknown quantity at this point
Does anyone know if using resr coil overs with stock tophats is bad for ride quality?

My resr right side has a stock tophat and on bumps it makes a weird rattling noise. And at 55 or above it feels really wobbly.

All the bolts are tight. I'm assuming my welded diff and shitty alignment is making the wobble. But I don't know about the noise.

Any info is appreciated!

Edit: Warner my car is welded and I have a bad alignment. I don't go through rear tires often unless I'm driving hard.
DialedLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #15191
Tempo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (39)
Tempo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
I have been through this twice in less than a year...I can be considered a subject matter expert

The first thing you need to do is look really hard at YOUR car and what it was. IF you had upgraded ecu, new brakes, new suspension, etc, look nationwide for cars that are prepped like yours for sale in Modified cars, and autotrader. This will tell you what your car is worth in the lowest amount to the highest amount. Get ALL those figures, and find the average.

OR you can take essentially 3500 for a very clean S13, 4500 for a very clean 95 S14, 5500 for a very clean 96 S14, and 6500 for a very clean low mileage 97 - 98, then take the total value of each new part you added at cost, then subtract 60%, and add that figure to the value of the car. These two numbers will give you a pretty close estimate to what you should get, IF, your insurance guy is telling you the truth and not blowing smoke up your ass.

Experience: 1996 zenki, new windshield, new brakes, new stereo, ss exhaust, only needed paint, valued by Nissan Used Car Manager at 'oh I would set it on the lot for 7,000 and take the first 6500 offer'
I got 6300 + 574(tax, License, document fees) AFTER fighting with them, sending a complaint to the insurance board, and going up three managers over the course of 4 months.

1996 zenki, total exterior restoration, new windows and seals, perfect body, new brakes, ss exhaust, intake, ecu, perfect interior... Nissan Used Car Manager firm at $6500, damaged at $4500 car gets repaired not totaled...still fighting because TN has 'comparative fault' which the at fault party is claiming, but strong evidence shows 100% fault on the other party, still fighting after three months to recover cash since insurance company is refusing to pay pother party AND me, FUCK STATE FARM!

ill use this today when I go into my appointment - wish me luck lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnner View Post
Does a welded diff really wear your tires fast? For daily driving

Not much to notice, I've been daily driving my s14 with a welded on for well over a year - I can't say tire life will be the same since I drift ever so often but other people I know with welded difs haven't complained.

Cons:
Turning is annoying with the chirps and the car always wants to go straight(moostang status)
Bad for driving in the rain - increase risk of crash
If your rear end isn't built your bushing will become brittle nice and quick from the dif jerking all those rear components(built my rear end 1mo after)

Pros:
Cost efficient instadrift mod
Less maintenance compared to a 1.5/2 way dif

Personally, I'm going to buy a 2 way soon.

IG - allen.kerose
Tempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #15192
drftngs14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
drftngs14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Anyone know the size bolt that holds the lower shift boot ring down?
drftngs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #15193
warnner

warnner is an unknown quantity at this point
What's better the 300zx or q45 brakes?

warnner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #15194
Kallixtos
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (61)
Kallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really nice
Feedback Score: 61 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by drftngs14 View Post
Anyone know the size bolt that holds the lower shift boot ring down?
8x1.25?

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnner View Post
What's better the 300zx or q45 brakes?
Define what you mean by better. 300zx will have better braking power but you will need to get wheels to clear them if you don't already have them.

Q45 will be bolt on without having to get different wheels.

This is a good swap guide. http://importnut.net/300zxbrakeswap.htm

Z brakes will cost you a bit more. You can pretty much pick a color q45 you want at the junkyard.
Kallixtos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #15195
miffs

Trader Rating: (2)
miffs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Is anyone running Sonic Motor seats in their s13 that can tell me whether or not they will fit side mounted in my car with Bride low max rails? i currently have a sprint 5 and it is too wide and has to be bottom mounted and sits up so damn high. I'm 5' 9" 180 lbs 34" waist so id like to know if either the p2 or the sp2 will be better for me since im not a 6 foot 130lb lurch like a lot of you seem to be.
miffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:22 AM   #15196
s14j
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (72)
s14j is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 72 reviews
what lip is on this kouki???

Old 10-18-2013, 02:23 AM   #15197
jameswouldgo
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
jameswouldgo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Hi all,

I have a 95 240sx SE
I was wondering if I would be able to take out the door lock switch from a master switch (driver side window switch doesn't work on master) and throw it on another switch that doesn't have the door lock option?

This is the switch that I ordered from a dude on this site: It doesn't have the door lock switch but I am wondering if I could throw on the switch from another master that has.

240sx s14 Power Window Main Switch 1995 1998 New 25401 70F10 Base Model | eBay
jameswouldgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #15198
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
Could someone tell me the bolt size/length for the driveshaft to differential flange for an S13 plzzzzz! been searching and ordered teh bolts from ballerbolts.com only to get shafted =/
Old 10-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #15199
S14TEENZ
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
S14TEENZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I know this may sound a bit stupid/weird but does anyone know is they offer a wheel adapter conversion from 4x114.3 to 5x100??
Old 10-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #15200
tangerman95

tangerman95 is an unknown quantity at this point
s14

I just baught a 1995 240sx and it started just fine when i test drove it, but after I bought it I stopped to get gas on the way home and it wouldn't crank up so i dont know if I need a new starter or if its the battery? any help would be great.
tangerman95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #15201
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Thedriftbadger is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14TEENZ View Post
I know this may sound a bit stupid/weird but does anyone know is they offer a wheel adapter conversion from 4x114.3 to 5x100??
Never seen a 4 to 5 lug adapter. I've seen 5x114.3 to 5x100 though.
Thedriftbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #15202
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14TEENZ View Post
You can get adapters in a few width's for moving from a Nissan 66.1 ctr hub in 4x114.3 to 5x114.3, but it will cost you the price of a good wheel for all four corners, or ~$400
4 Lug to 5 Lug Adapter : 5 Lug to 4 Lug Adapter : AdapterKings.com

Nissan is 66.1mm Hub Center Bore, and 12mm x 1.25 lugs. Is this cheaper than getting conversion hubs from Enjuku? Nah, about the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerman95 View Post
I just baught a 1995 240sx and it started just fine when i test drove it, but after I bought it I stopped to get gas on the way home and it wouldn't crank up so i dont know if I need a new starter or if its the battery? any help would be great.
Probably the Battery. Get a Red top and don't look back
Old 10-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #15203
wsmiteh
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
wsmiteh is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ka24de header wrap advice

Hey guys,

I attatched a picture of my engine so you can check out what exactly I'm thinking and hopefully give me some opinions. I have a mostly stock ka with some red shit in the bay (intake, wires, etc). I am currently polishing the intake manifold and valve cover (about half done), and have some dc long tube headers sitting in my room waiting for a blitz nurspec catback to drive in the mail! Now, with the polished intake and valve cover, it would look good to have polished headers as well, but they came with a factory ceramic coating which I don't want to mess with which is a sort of dull silver colour! I am wanting to wrap them but can't decide what would look best - red, or black heat wrap! Anyways, let me know what you think, just looking for a few opinions

Cheers,
Will
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 995515_10153395124030105_795111807_n.jpg (67.6 KB, 13 views)
wsmiteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #15204
tacobellman_2007
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
tacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grocery Cart View Post
An alternator can't cause a car to idle rough and slowly die right? As in, if the car starts and the alternator belt is loose, the car won't slowly idle worse until it dies, it would run off the battery wouldn't it? Given the battery is known good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Actually an alternator itself CAN cause the car to idle rough and slowly die. That's EXACTLY what happened with my car. As for the alternator belt being loose, I'm not exactly sure...but anyways, if you turn on your headlights, turn on your dome light, or brake while the car is running, does the idle go down? If so, your alternator may be going out. My alternator got to the point where if I tried to start my car, it wouldn't start, or even crank, and relying on a portable jump start barely helped it start up, and I would have to rely on that EVERY time I wanted to start it. Lasted for several days until I decided to change out the alternator. Replaced it with a 1997 Nissan Quest alternator, and my car's been working great ever since. Doesn't even lower its idle when turning on the lights, dome light, etc.

Amateur photography by me
tacobellman_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #15205
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by DialedLife View Post
Does anyone know if using resr coil overs with stock tophats is bad for ride quality?

My resr right side has a stock tophat and on bumps it makes a weird rattling noise. And at 55 or above it feels really wobbly.

All the bolts are tight. I'm assuming my welded diff and shitty alignment is making the wobble. But I don't know about the noise.

Any info is appreciated!

Edit: Warner my car is welded and I have a bad alignment. I don't go through rear tires often unless I'm driving hard.
If all your suspension, wheel, brake, etc, bolts are tight, I'd guess that noise is the subframe. Unless the tophat rubber was like, gone.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #15206
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
You can get adapters in a few width's for moving from a Nissan 66.1 ctr hub in 4x114.3 to 5x114.3, but it will cost you the price of a good wheel for all four corners, or ~$400
4 Lug to 5 Lug Adapter : 5 Lug to 4 Lug Adapter : AdapterKings.com

Nissan is 66.1mm Hub Center Bore, and 12mm x 1.25 lugs. Is this cheaper than getting conversion hubs from Enjuku? Nah, about the same

Probably the Battery. Get a Red top and don't look back
That business doesn't seem to carry our studs. So I assume you'd also have to buy lugs.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #15207
mpapers22
Leaky Injector

mpapers22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone know if the lower 17mm nut on s13 coilovers is the same on any other cars? I need one asap and if I could run to the junkyard and pull one off another car it would be great
mpapers22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #15208
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpapers22 View Post
Anyone know if the lower 17mm nut on s13 coilovers is the same on any other cars? I need one asap and if I could run to the junkyard and pull one off another car it would be great
Did you try bringing the bolt to a hardware store and seeing if they have a nut that fits? That would be easier than going to a junkyard
Old 10-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #15209
mpapers22
Leaky Injector

mpapers22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedriftbadger View Post
Did you try bringing the bolt to a hardware store and seeing if they have a nut that fits? That would be easier than going to a junkyard
Its more of a stud that comes off the rear knuckle so that's not really an option. Even if it was suspension hardware is something id prefer to keep as oem or name brand as possible cause you never know with that shit...
mpapers22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #15210
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpapers22 View Post
Its more of a stud that comes off the rear knuckle so that's not really an option. Even if it was suspension hardware is something id prefer to keep as oem or name brand as possible cause you never know with that shit...
Ah i was thinking of the fronts. Then just bring the nut from the other side and find one that matches. So at least you'll be able to drive on it. The dealer should have one, or will order one for you.