Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #1
patsajak
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
patsajak is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 Memory Steer Problem

So i'm getting some memory steer on the right side of my 89 s13. I have new FLCA buhings and ball joints, new rack bushings and fortune 500 coilovers with a few thousand miles on them. I tried lubing up the bushing on the upper coilover and got an alignment but im still getting the memory steer. Any ideas? it driving me crazy
patsajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2017, 05:48 AM   #2
Surffer227
Leaky Injector

Surffer227 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rack bushings mabey, could be pulling the whole rack left or right while turning. I just ordered a set for my car because the front end was feeling real sloppy while sliding, but I would also feel a small amount of what your talking about while driving, we'll see if it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Surffer227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:49 AM   #3
apex128
Zilvia Member

apex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enough
It could be the pillow ball bearing in the coilover mount. Do you hear or see the spring binding when turning at low speed / a stop? I'm in the process of replacing one of my pillow balls. I'll let you know if it fixes my memory steer. Also, make sure your toe is set correctly and that you have a proper alignment.
apex128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #4
patsajak
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by apex128 View Post
It could be the pillow ball bearing in the coilover mount. Do you hear or see the spring binding when turning at low speed / a stop? I'm in the process of replacing one of my pillow balls. I'll let you know if it fixes my memory steer. Also, make sure your toe is set correctly and that you have a proper alignment.
when moving no but when the front end us jacked up you can hear the right side --side with memory steer-- coilover make some noise
Old 03-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #5
patsajak
Leaky Injector

Rack bushings look good. Just greased the pillow balls and there's no difference
Old 03-14-2017, 03:49 PM   #6
apex128
Zilvia Member

apex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enough
Can you look to see if the coilover spring is binding when you turn the wheel? make sure there is tension on the suspension when you do this. So basically make sure the car is on the ground or you are lifting from the control arm. If it is binding, the pillow ball is probably bad. Greasing it will not help if it is completely seized.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:43 PM   #7
patsajak
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by apex128 View Post
Can you look to see if the coilover spring is binding when you turn the wheel? make sure there is tension on the suspension when you do this. So basically make sure the car is on the ground or you are lifting from the control arm. If it is binding, the pillow ball is probably bad. Greasing it will not help if it is completely seized.
When turning the wheel with the car on the ground the coiliover assembly and springs all turned together without binding.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:31 AM   #8
apex128
Zilvia Member

Well I replaced my pillow ball yesterday and the issue is still there. Probably going to try greasing and doing rack bushings. Any luck with yours?
Old 03-21-2017, 09:36 AM   #9
Surffer227
Leaky Injector

Surffer227 is an unknown quantity at this point
Get under the car and have someone turn to full lock, if your rack is shifting then the bushings are bad, just checked mine and they where pretty bad, I'm doing lca bushings, rack bushings and changing my front subframe cause of a bent mount, I'll let you know how it feels after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Surffer227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:51 AM   #10
apex128
Zilvia Member

Just as an update incase this helps anyone: I put antiseize on my pillow ball bearings and now the issue only happens when it is cold outside. Even then it is much better now. Memory steer gone. I did arguable buy a 75$ pillow ball for no reason, but the coilovers did come with the car after all..
Moral of the story is grease the pillow ball bearings before buying new ones, they might not be bad.