Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-23-2010, 12:58 AM   #3061
articdragon192
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
articdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to articdragon192
Such amazing work.

Need help?
Click here
Still stumped?
Try this
Can't find what you're looking for?
Here you go.
articdragon192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2010, 04:03 AM   #3062
roco
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
roco is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
another tube buggy, its a 70 series toyota land cruiser chassis, custom tube work, on 35's.

customer loaded it up after those pics, to go off to paint and paneling. ill get pics off him when its done and put them up. :beer:
Old 08-23-2010, 04:14 AM   #3063
azn_romeox
Zilvia Member

azn_romeox is an unknown quantity at this point
Attempted to build a Dual 3" exhaust with x-pipe. All built from straight pipe. Trust me when I say, its faster and cheaper to buy bends than it is to build anything from straight tubing. It gets tiring real quick. Thought it came out okay for my first x-pipe.
Its been months since i've really welded anything. Not bad for being out of it so long.

Used some Sanitary 304ss tubing. Same stuff they use for microbrewery's and dairy processing equipment. All I care is that it looks shinny inside and out! I can say safely you can run milk through my pipes without contamination

Going to attempt to fab a single aluminum muffler with 2 inlet/outlets through it. We will see. (reminds me of apexi's duals)

Hopefully I can get the car on the ground by Next sunday.
Ronald
azn_romeox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:30 AM   #3064
xdumbxguyx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
xdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
going to pick up a tig soon was wondering which one u guys perfered or had experience with either the diversion 180 or the syncrowave 200. buying new so is the syncrowave worth the extra money? will be doing roll cages, ic piping, exhaust, manifolds.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:03 AM   #3065
duffman1278
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
The diversion is a pretty sweet machine, inverter I believe so it's slightly different then using the syncrowave but it should have enough juice for what you're doing.

I have a syncrowave 180 and that thing is BIG, which is kind of a drag, and it sucks up more current than the diversion or dynasty.

I'd say, save your money and go with the diversion.

duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:45 AM   #3066
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
I have Dynasty 200sx, It is baller! I spent the extra cash because I do not have the room. It is also cool because if I need to go to somone it is very portable.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:54 PM   #3067
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdumbxguyx View Post
going to pick up a tig soon was wondering which one u guys perfered or had experience with either the diversion 180 or the syncrowave 200. buying new so is the syncrowave worth the extra money? will be doing roll cages, ic piping, exhaust, manifolds.
First off. How much welding experience do you have?
This should be a big factor. If you have little to no experience. Don't spend extra money on things you don't need. Or try welding a safety system (IE roll cage) for that matter. You'll most likely harm someone.

If you have a decent amount, or a lot of experience. Buy the one with the most bells and whistles... Then use every bit of it to your advantage.
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:58 PM   #3068
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
Actually I am wondering this same thing!?! I have wanted to get a TIG for years now, but have never pulled the trigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atutt View Post
First off. How much welding experience do you have?
This should be a big factor. If you have little to no experience. Don't spend extra money on things you don't need. Or try welding a safety system (IE roll cage) for that matter. You'll most likely harm someone.

If you have a decent amount, or a lot of experience. Buy the one with the most bells and whistles... Then use every bit of it to your advantage.
For me personally, I would rather only have to buy something once... rather than getting good with a cheaper setup, only to have to pony out the cash for a nicer setup down the road. I have never used a welder period, but I'm pretty confident in my hands. There has never been a trade I couldn't do. Simply takes patience, determination and a natural skill for fabrication.

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #3069
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
Actually I am wondering this same thing!?! I have wanted to get a TIG for years now, but have never pulled the trigger.

For me personally, I would rather only have to buy something once... rather than getting good with a cheaper setup, only to have to pony out the cash for a nicer setup down the road. I have never used a welder period, but I'm pretty confident in my hands. There has never been a trade I couldn't do. Simply takes patience, determination and a natural skill for fabrication.
I have to agree to disagree...
Now what if you shelled out lots of money on that new fancy welder with all the doo-dad's.. But only ended up using maybe 3 times?

Now... You can buy a very capable, yet older< TIG welder for cheap. They're bulky, but reliable as fuck and cheap as fuck. I spent $400 on my TIG... With a 5-310 amp range.

For the average person. This is MORE than enough. There would be no point in spending $$$$ where it's not needed.

Unless you weld for a living. Weld day in and day out. There's no point. The average person won't end up using all the AC features on something like a Dynasty.

Hell.. I DO weld day in and day out and I don't even use a fancy machine.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #3070
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Quote:
I have to agree to disagree...
Now what if you shelled out lots of money on that new fancy welder with all the doo-dad's.. But only ended up using maybe 3 times?

Now... You can buy a very capable, yet older< TIG welder for cheap. They're bulky, but reliable as fuck and cheap as fuck. I spent $400 on my TIG... With a 5-310 amp range.

For the average person. This is MORE than enough. There would be no point in spending $$$$ where it's not needed.

Unless you weld for a living. Weld day in and day out. There's no point. The average person won't end up using all the AC features on something like a Dynasty.

Hell.. I DO weld day in and day out and I don't even use a fancy machine.
Well, I didn't really mean I need a "fancy" unit, top of the line. I simply meant that I don't want to get one that is very basic and relative to my skill at the moment, only to wish I had something better down the road. Keep in mind, I am no expert on the options/features between one TIG and another. I won't be welding for a living obviously, but I will be welding time-to-time for my job... then of course personal use. I would just want something that is going to properly do what I need it to do. What suggestions do you personally have? Probably nothing thicker than 1/8" aluminum. What features should I be concerned with? It does not need to be ultra portable. I would primarily use it for custom aluminum car audio amplifier racks and custom wall mounts for flat screen TV's etc. We happen to do a lot of commercial audio/video at restaurants etc. We do like 45 LCD screens in each of the Buffalo Wild Wings for example.

Thanks for your time,

Toby

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 08-26-2010, 09:30 PM   #3071
xdumbxguyx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
xdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
ive been doing cages with mig for quite some time. ive done cages for scca cars, international fia all the cars past tech inspection no problem. Just wanted someones opinion that had used both machines which one they feel is better. I have only tried the syncrowave 180 at another shop i rent some time on there machine when i need to do things.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:42 PM   #3072
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
Well, I didn't really mean I need a "fancy" unit, top of the line. I simply meant that I don't want to get one that is very basic and relative to my skill at the moment, only to wish I had something better down the road. Keep in mind, I am no expert on the options/features between one TIG and another. I won't be welding for a living obviously, but I will be welding time-to-time for my job... then of course personal use. I would just want something that is going to properly do what I need it to do. What suggestions do you personally have? Probably nothing thicker than 1/8" aluminum. What features should I be concerned with? It does not need to be ultra portable. I would primarily use it for custom aluminum car audio amplifier racks and custom wall mounts for flat screen TV's etc. We happen to do a lot of commercial audio/video at restaurants etc. We do like 45 LCD screens in each of the Buffalo Wild Wings for example.

Thanks for your time,

Toby
Quote:
ive been doing cages with mig for quite some time. ive done cages for scca cars, international fia all the cars past tech inspection no problem. Just wanted someones opinion that had used both machines which one they feel is better. I have only tried the syncrowave 180 at another shop i rent some time on there machine when i need to do things.

@Toby.. It has nice feature which are "easier to use" than some of the higher end ones. Which leaves you room to learn and improve. It's also 45lbs I think... Does both AC/DC... A bit pricey. But it seems you would benefit from it.

***Edit scratch that.. I thought you said it NEED to be ultra portable... A Syncrowave 200 would easily suffice for your needs. It's a proven and reliable machine.

@dumbguy.. I'd look into a Dynasty 200. It has a bit more power than the Diversion. I believe it has some better features too. More AC settings.
It will use less power than the Syncrowave. And doesn't weigh a shit ton.

I'd recommend you save up and get one of these. You won't be disappointed.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:40 PM   #3073
Z28ricer
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Z28ricer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I've got the diversion, does everything I need it to, portable enough also, for me it was between this and the sync200, i'm glad I went with the much smaller/portable machine.
Z28ricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #3074
Z28ricer
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Z28ricer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Not so much fabrication as welding, careful disassembly...

S13rhd conversion

Firewall carefully removed

Complete RHD firewall removed from clip:

Firewall, lower cowl and upper cowl installed

Headers for my LS13

Z28ricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:50 PM   #3075
roco
Leaky Injector

roco is an unknown quantity at this point
This has to be a new record. i built this cage during the week for a customer, he picked the truck up on Friday, and flipped it on Sunday . it was only a light roll, and everybody was ok, cage did its job and saved most of the body work.

Its a full exo cage, bolt on design with 4x2 rock sliders. its on 5mm foot plates and is held down with 19mm bolts, two per point and bolted on eight points. four on the sliders, two on the rear bumper and two on the front. its made from 1 7/8 tube for the main frame and 1 3/4 for the supporting bars and the front end.

heres the pics, and a video of the roll, enjoy,

YouTube - Flippin over in Gary's Hole
Old 09-04-2010, 10:04 AM   #3076
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
@Toby.. It has nice feature which are "easier to use" than some of the higher end ones. Which leaves you room to learn and improve. It's also 45lbs I think... Does both AC/DC... A bit pricey. But it seems you would benefit from it.

***Edit scratch that.. I thought you said it NEED to be ultra portable... A Syncrowave 200 would easily suffice for your needs. It's a proven and reliable machine.
Awesome man... thanks for your recommendation and your time!

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 09-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #3077
Mistah Mofro
Zilvia Member

Mistah Mofro is an unknown quantity at this point
I've maybe been in this thread half an hour, and the is some serious proffesionalism going on in here.
Mistah Mofro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #3078
D.Adams
Post Whore!

D.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to D.Adams Send a message via MSN to D.Adams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistah Mofro View Post
I've maybe been in this thread half an hour, and the is some serious proffesionalism going on in here.

Fro what the hell you been up to.

Rules v

put this together in 5 min or so

The build
http://zilvia.net/f/builds-builds-on...u-city-az.html

Owner of NVS Fabrications
D.Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:29 AM   #3079
ChaserAero
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
ChaserAero has much to be proud ofChaserAero has much to be proud ofChaserAero has much to be proud ofChaserAero has much to be proud ofChaserAero has much to be proud ofChaserAero has much to be proud ofChaserAero has much to be proud ofChaserAero has much to be proud ofChaserAero has much to be proud ofChaserAero has much to be proud ofChaserAero has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ChaserAero
Here is a Miata roof spoiler we have been working on this past week.

Some quick renditions in photoshop

Started Carving the Plug out of foam.

Mar-glass and more sanding

The Master (Steve) at work

Taking Shape

This is where we are at as of today, more to come!

Anthony

ChaserAero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #3080
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
That's really nice work.

How much of the rear lip of the wing is still foam? Is that just a thin shell of glass or was it shaped with glass?
Old 09-17-2010, 02:05 PM   #3081
ChaserAero
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
ChaserAero has much to be proud ofChaserAero has much to be proud ofChaserAero has much to be proud ofChaserAero has much to be proud ofChaserAero has much to be proud ofChaserAero has much to be proud ofChaserAero has much to be proud ofChaserAero has much to be proud ofChaserAero has much to be proud ofChaserAero has much to be proud ofChaserAero has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ChaserAero
Thanks man, I'll pass the complements along to steve.

He created the 'lip' out of Mar-glass, it's like a mixture of fiberglass strands and bondo. Remember this is just the plug, once the design is finished we will make a mold of it and then we can make the final product.

Anthony

ChaserAero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #3082
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
Thanks for the quick response.

I plan on making something similar but as a trunk spoiler for a fastback. I was debating whether or not I could get enough detail out of foam alone to make a plug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pele5vptVgc
Old 09-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #3083
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
that spoiler looks kinda dope. i think the little flip it does at the tail will look good on a miata.
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #3084
PerilousActs
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
PerilousActs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
It's not much, but it's my second start into making my own shit to save money instead of buying premade stuff. Hydraulic ebrake setup:

I've still got to make some kind of handle. Not sure what I want to use yet. I may use a tension rod haha. Any suggestions? Once I get that done, I'm going to weld it to a baseplate, sandblast it, then powder coat it. I just picked up a harbor freight powder coating rig and it works surprisingly well.
PerilousActs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #3085
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Made some Blu808 Boom tubes today.

Start with 1.5" piping.

We are going to make each section 18" so we cut that to length then we put the tubing on the mill and split it down the middle to create the sides of the Boom tubes.

Here is the split tubing.

Here it is half way tacked together.

Here is after both of them are tig welded.

We then made some notched spacers and boxed it all in to position the tubes as needed.

Micro tig beads. About the width of the tip of a pen.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:19 PM   #3086
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
im interested in seeing where you go with this one Luke.
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:31 PM   #3087
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Old 09-19-2010, 11:33 PM   #3088
Sleepy_Steve
Zilvia Member

Sleepy_Steve is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
You're not old enough to have made that. But the thing is damned gorgeous for sure. But the boom tubes seem interesting, what are they going on?

Took me forever to go through this thread the first time, now I'm checking it weekly. Lots of great ideas to be found here. The few minor things I've made don't hold a candle to 99% of this thread. Battery tie down, egr block off, modified thermostat, brake ducts, and dash panel just aren't very interesting.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:15 AM   #3089
blu808
Post Whore!

Lol. Just keeping you guys guessing. I will be making the oval to round transitions tomorrow and posting some pictures. The exhaust will be on a ls1 fd3s.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #3090
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
Lol. Just keeping you guys guessing. I will be making the oval to round transitions tomorrow and posting some pictures. The exhaust will be on a ls1 fd3s.
tell jeff to stop having things made for his daily....geeze. lol

keep up the good work luke.
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote