Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-09-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
Chrischeezer
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
Chrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
using a fog machine to detect intake leaks.

Hey guys,
I was wondering if any of you guys ever used a party fog machine as a intake leak tester?

Normal automotive evap tester/smoke machines are 500+ dollars.
I was thinking about getting a mini fog machine ( $35) make some hose to transfer the "fog" to my charge pipe and intake system.

I can't really see the harm, i think it will be great alternative and a smoke machine is a great tool to have. I've used a real evap leak tester on a few cars about 2 years ago, every car had about 5 -10 small leaks. The real evap testers have a slow/controlled dispersal of smoke, the fog machines are a bit quicker, also i believe a different type of "smoke" solution is used between the two.
So....Any ideas on this, or has anyone does this before?

Old 06-09-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
you have this many leaks?
i worry for the rest of your cars problems!
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
johngriff
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
johngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to johngriff
No harm in doing this, and it is an invaluable tool.

Probably every car on the board should have this test done, you would be surprised!
Old 06-09-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
Chrischeezer
Zilvia FREAK!

Chrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dousan_PG View Post
you have this many leaks?
i worry for the rest of your cars problems!
... wow, hostile much? i forgot the level of your perfection I'm so sorry
yep, looks like i have some serious problems here... what a mess...

anyways.... its not really for my car,
I work on many different cars, having a tool like this is very effective. If you've ever used one before you would understand.
If you never smoked your set-up before I guarantee you'll find multiple leaks.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:33 PM   #5
vboy720
Zilvia Member

vboy720 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to vboy720
so sexy....

anyways, how do you do the smoke test? diy? pics?
vboy720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:38 PM   #6
Chrischeezer
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vboy720 View Post
so sexy....

anyways, how do you do the smoke test? diy? pics?
thanx

It's just like a boost leak test...
only not much pressure is used, smoke will fill up your motor, intake system, all vac lines and charge piping and puff out of the slightest little leak.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:00 AM   #7
TrIpLe "D"
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
TrIpLe "D" is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smoke thats a good idea
TrIpLe "D" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:05 AM   #8
azndoc
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
azndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Send a message via AIM to azndoc
Or you could turn on the car.

Brake cleaner.
azndoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:13 AM   #9
miggypq21
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
miggypq21 has much to be proud ofmiggypq21 has much to be proud ofmiggypq21 has much to be proud ofmiggypq21 has much to be proud ofmiggypq21 has much to be proud ofmiggypq21 has much to be proud ofmiggypq21 has much to be proud ofmiggypq21 has much to be proud ofmiggypq21 has much to be proud ofmiggypq21 has much to be proud ofmiggypq21 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to miggypq21
Turn your car on, spray some carb and choke cleaner in the areas you might think are leaking.

Any change in idle usually indicates you have a leak in the are you sprayed
Old 06-10-2009, 12:25 AM   #10
undesiredshoe
Zilvia Addict

undesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to undesiredshoe
But then there are some leaks that only leak under boost.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:27 AM   #11
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
^ bingo.

Sounds like a great idea. I'm interested in how you make such a setup work. Once you figure it out I'd really like it if you post a "How To" on it.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:27 AM   #12
Chrischeezer
Zilvia FREAK!

smoke machine is 10x more effective

you'll find leaks you never thought you had.

when i used the evap/smoke machine my friends evo
we smoked it after we found a intake manifold leak w/ brake cleaner just to double check, found a leaking brake booster, turbo, bov and boost gauge! ( these were all very small leaks, but they add up)

Quote:
Originally Posted by undesiredshoe View Post
But then there are some leaks that only leak under boost.
interesting, maybe doing a boost leak check quickly after smoking it.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:29 AM   #13
don_bagz
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
don_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by miggypq21 View Post
Turn your car on, spray some carb and choke cleaner in the areas you might think are leaking.

purpose of the smoke is to find out leaks in area's you dont think might have a leak or a place you would over look.. what you mentioned should be the next step.
don_bagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:36 AM   #14
Team DET
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
Team DET is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
hmmmm i have a fog machine but it only comes out for halloween lol.. lmk how it goes
Old 06-10-2009, 12:39 AM   #15
soreballz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
soreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
I threw a fog machine in the trash recently... dammit. I need to do this to my car.
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
soreballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:55 AM   #16
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
Quote:
Originally Posted by azndoc View Post
Or you could turn on the car.

Brake cleaner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miggypq21 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by soreballz View Post
I threw a fog machine in the trash recently... dammit. I need to do this to my car.
Thats cause the party's over.......fucking zoo is closed Ray.

Those fog machines use some real oily shit, just so you know. And the cheaper they are, the more oil residue they spit out.
As in, the floor under them becomes a slip hazard.
So your choice if you wanna coat your intake with that stuff.

BTW, they dont really push too hard, so they may not have enough pressure to find your leaks.
ericcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:06 AM   #17
Jakob
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Jakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
what i use is super simple.
you take a wheel valve (i didnt use such a fancy one)

and a thick plastic cup:

drill a hole in the cup, push the valve through the hole so it is INSIDE the cup and the you cut the cup but leave a 1inch lip.

et voila:

super small super handy and super simple plus its cheap!!! you can use an air compressor or a manual pump and listen carefully
Jakob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:14 AM   #18
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Good idea, but doesn't produce enough pressure to really test under boost. I'd be VERY surprised if you generated over 1 psi with a 'party' smoke machine.

Eric has a good point about the residue, but it'll burn off at any rate. Not the biggest concern.

I've used the same thing as "da russian one" - used a cap to some spray bottle that happened to be the exact size of my T28 turbo outlet, and pressurized it to a few pounds with a bike pump. Shows you real quick where the leaks are - would be better if I'd have had a compressor.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:09 AM   #19
Chrischeezer
Zilvia FREAK!

Evap testers produce zero pressure, the smoke puffs out really slow. but still very effective. maybe performing a boost leak test in conjunction with smoking it will have the best result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcastro View Post
Those fog machines use some real oily shit, just so you know. And the cheaper they are, the more oil residue they spit out.
As in, the floor under them becomes a slip hazard.
So your choice if you wanna coat your intake with that stuff.

BTW, they dont really push too hard, so they may not have enough pressure to find your leaks.
sounds like you have some experience with fog machines, could you recommend a brand? (something cheep and small?)
What chemical is used to produce the "smoke"?
Old 06-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #20
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
well why not puff smoke into the intake while the TB is open, then shoot high pressure air thru the TB...wouldnt that work?

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:10 AM   #21
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrischeezer View Post
... wow, hostile much? i forgot the level of your perfection I'm so sorry
yep, looks like i have some serious problems here... what a mess...
what an embarrassing engine bay

its a good thing you're confident and dont need to post pics of your car to support your lack of manhood

:-)
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:20 AM   #22
SILVIA_KIDs14.5
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (-1)
SILVIA_KIDs14.5 has made poor choicesSILVIA_KIDs14.5 has made poor choicesSILVIA_KIDs14.5 has made poor choicesSILVIA_KIDs14.5 has made poor choicesSILVIA_KIDs14.5 has made poor choicesSILVIA_KIDs14.5 has made poor choices
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
what an embarrassing engine bay

its a good thing you're confident and dont need to post pics of your car to support your lack of manhood

:-)
you don't got anything better to do than hate on someone who has a cleaner engine bay than yours dude get a life seriously
SILVIA_KIDs14.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #23
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Yeah I wonder about those smog machines, but I think da_russians boost leak thing is awesome..... Then maybe just use a cigarette and blow smoke on some couplers... .hahaha it might work hahahah
Old 06-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #24
Chrischeezer
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVIA_KIDs14.5 View Post
you don't got anything better to do than hate on someone who has a cleaner engine bay than yours dude get a life seriously
dude... don't exert a stitch of effort in defense (greatly appreciated though)

his build is here..

mine is here
Old 06-10-2009, 10:49 AM   #25
Jakob
Zilvia Junkie

Jakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to all
lol you guys do get sarcasm do you? there is a reason he posted a smiley at the end....
Jakob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #26
Slip&Sliden 240
Zilvia Member

Slip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfection
I use an item I built like da_russian_one but once I get up to 25psi, I spray every coupler with a spray bottle filled with soapy water. Bubbles baby bubbles if there is a leak. Easy, effective, and no wasted money on a fog machine.
Slip&Sliden 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:54 AM   #27
YoungGun
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
YoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
My step dad's shop uses something like this, we used it on my exhaust and I have a shit ton of leaks.

Its basically like a fog machine but smaller and you put a rubber funnel on the nozel and stick it either on the tail pipe or idk where you would do it for the intake.

It also uses baby oil, don't know if you wanna be putting that fog juice through your engine.
YoungGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:12 AM   #28
Chrischeezer
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGun View Post
My step dad's shop uses something like this, we used it on my exhaust and I have a shit ton of leaks.

Its basically like a fog machine but smaller and you put a rubber funnel on the nozel and stick it either on the tail pipe or idk where you would do it for the intake.

It also uses baby oil, don't know if you wanna be putting that fog juice through your engine.
yeah thats the one i used, found leaks all over intake manifolds, sensors and vac lines
ask him how much that machine was...
I'm buying a smoke machine right now ($39.00), they also sell a solution that is a water derivative that evaporates with no oil.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #29
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Just you guys know for a fact, worm gears leak period for couplers. I got about .5 psi more just buy using all T-bolts.... Just to add a fact
Old 06-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #30
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrischeezer View Post
sounds like you have some experience with fog machines, could you recommend a brand? (something cheep and small?)
What chemical is used to produce the "smoke"?
anything that is cheap usually isnt that great. Movies and such use higher end stuff that tends to be dryer and hangs around alot longer before it disapates.

If your gonna do it, then i would just get the cheapest possable and a good amount of liquid..
Try and smoke up the intake area in question really good, then try to get pressure in it somehow to get the smoke to actually come out the leaks. Maybe the cheap bike pump idea.

then crank up the smoke in the garage, turn all the car lights on and put some on the ground, then take a cool pic for us
ericcastro is offline   Reply With Quote