Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-25-2015, 10:50 AM   #1
JAStirrett
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
JAStirrett is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need some headlight help

Ok, I know what's coming when I say this, it's a headlight issue. I have already accomplished the basics and have done a little advanced troubleshooting and I'm stumped.. Here we go..

Problem:
Left Headlamp stays on while ignition is completely off

Troubleshooting completed:
- Remove and clean contacts inside the "Lighting Switch" (which is just the lights and blinker box).

-Next up, the diagram. From the left headlamp, there is 3 wires, Pink, Green/Yellow, Red/Blue

Pink - Retract Relay - 1
G/Y - Lighting Switch
R/B - Lighting Switch and in series to the Headlight Timer

-At this point I have already cleaned the contacts in the Lighting Switch, so I figured I would remove Retract Relay - 1 and wa-lah, the light goes out.

-I then noticed that basically every ground is wired in to the body grounds, I made sure these weren't loose corroded, etc.

-So, now I'm thinking, how is this thing still getting power? Which it looks like it's a short to power because it is dim but when you actually turn the lights to on, it gets brighter.

-Start from power source? Sure thing.. I pulled the 5A fuse under the kick panel and the light is still on.

-Looking at the FSM, I removed the headlamp timer also, the light remains on with the headlamp timer out and the fuse out.

-The only thing I have been able to do to get the light to go out was remove Retract Relay -1.

-So, then you look to see where Retract Relay - 1 is getting power and it is also in series with the fogs which get their power from looks like the retractor switch, but when I remove that, which is on the passenger side, the light remains on.

-Last option, that I can notice, unless I'm missing something, check Retract relay - 4. Removed the relay, light remains on.

References used:
http://forums.nicoclub.com/how-to-fi...s-t280461.html

Wiring diagram in the FSM

JAStirrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #2
JAStirrett
Zilvia Member

bump. Any ideas?

Old 11-30-2015, 03:01 PM   #3
jdm>usdm

Trader Rating: (1)
jdm>usdm is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Exactly what 5A fuse are you talking about? Each headlight should have its own circuit protected with a 15A fuse. Power for your headlight will run thru this fuse and into the lighting switch. When you turn your headlight switch to the "on" position, the contact is made within the switch to send that power to the headlight. The retract relay is prevents the lights from coming on while the headlights are in the process of flipping up by preventing the power passing thru the headlight from grounding. When the headlight is fully up, the relay is returns to its normally closed position to allow a complete circuit for the headlight power. This is why you can pull this relay and have the headlight turn off, because it's no longer grounded.

Have you tried swapping the retract relay with another? It probably won't make a difference, but might as well try. If that does nothing as I expect, I would look back to your lighting switch. Seems like its still powering that circuit through a faulty internal contact. Pull up a wiring diagram and probe the switch for continuity between the "power in" pin and "power out" pin when the switch is in the "on" position.
jdm>usdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:23 PM   #4
JAStirrett
Zilvia Member

Thanks for responding. I realized over the weekend that when I pulled out the relay I was removing the ground and is why the light was going out, thanks for clarifying that. And yes, I tried swapping the relay with 3-4 other known good ones.

The 5A fuse I'm talking about is the one I circled. I don't know which 15A fuses you are talking about for each light, will you please clarify? I'm going to recheck the headlamp switch to make sure I cleaned it right, but I'm pretty sure I did it right.

Also, you can see in the wiring diagram below, the only fuse the FSM refers to coming from the fuse block is the 5A light control fuse and the 15A tail lamp fuse.

Thanks for your input. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:58 PM   #5
JAStirrett
Zilvia Member

I'm posting these pictures to help individuals who come across this thread.

As you can see, I cleaned the contacts and made sure the spacer blocks are installed, but it melted under the plastic somehow.

Something to know for people in trouble.

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:30 AM   #6
jdm>usdm

Trader Rating: (1)
jdm>usdm is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAStirrett View Post
Thanks for responding. I realized over the weekend that when I pulled out the relay I was removing the ground and is why the light was going out, thanks for clarifying that. And yes, I tried swapping the relay with 3-4 other known good ones.

The 5A fuse I'm talking about is the one I circled. I don't know which 15A fuses you are talking about for each light, will you please clarify? I'm going to recheck the headlamp switch to make sure I cleaned it right, but I'm pretty sure I did it right.

Also, you can see in the wiring diagram below, the only fuse the FSM refers to coming from the fuse block is the 5A light control fuse and the 15A tail lamp fuse.

Thanks for your input. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Ah, I see you're talking about the fuse for the headlight timer. If you look at the FSM schematic you posted, you can find the "Fuse and Fusible Link (In RELAY BOX)" centered and at the bottom. There are two white wires running directly from the battery and thru 15A fuses. For the left headlight low beam, follow the red wire from the fuse to pin 8 of plug E109 and find that powers pin 10 when the lighting switch is in the 2nd B position. This is the G/Y wire running to the headlight for low beam power.

Anyway, I see your lighting switch looks pretty toasted. Glad you found the culprit!
jdm>usdm is offline   Reply With Quote