Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-20-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
omgRWDgoodness!
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (48)
omgRWDgoodness! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
RB RB25 S1 vs. S2 wiring & other RB help

I'm starting this thread because this wasn't getting any attention in the RB FAQ thread, despite me posting diagrams/pictures out the ass and clearly stating my problems and questions. I really need to get some answers so I can finally start working on getting my RB25 into my S14 instead of having it just sit on the pallet in my garage, and thought the idea of consolidating a lot of the RB wiring info would be more helpful than searching for a bunch of scattered bits & pieces of information from every corner of the Web.

WITH THAT SAID I hope that this thread not only helps myself, but others with their RB swap. While I would like to keep it focused on the wiring aspect of the swap, other minor technical dilemmas to be addressed are also welcomed. Feel free to post questions, contribute any information deemed valid and appropriate, & offer any assistance that you may be capable of providing to the community.

(See Sileighty_85's http://zilvia.net/f/chat/332057-project-rb-how.html thread for an extensive guide on the actual swap in its entirety.)

Let's begin with some of my issues and observations I made between my own motorset's harness and those of others I've come across through my searches.

RB25 Series 1 harness
  • 2 blue Relays near ECU & F3 plug
  • Wider MAFS connector for green label 'J60' 5-prong MAFS
RB25 Series 2 harness
  • 1 blue Relay near ECU & F3 plug
  • Narrower MAFS connector for pink label 'E60' 3-prong MAFS
Useful note: Fourth-gen ('95-'99) Maxima MAFS are exactly the same as S2 RB25 MAFS so they are interchangeable. The part #s are the same, as well as me being able to confirm this after finding out I was sent the wrong MAF with my motorset and hitting the local U-Pull-A-Part.

I am also led to believe that because of the ignitor chip/coilpack difference between Series 1 and 2 RBs, there is a discrepancy in the wiring. In the following diagram, it instructs to somehow re-pin two wires into one terminal. The first is what should be a solid RED wire (for "ignition relay power") from terminal #4 to #17, the second being a WHITE with BLACK STRIPE wire (ECCS Relay power) from terminal #24 to #17 as well. This is where I feel the wiring difference between S1s and S2s comes into play. Since S1s have 2 Relays and S2s only one, it looks like S1 owners have to find some way to make two wires merge into one terminal.
Disclaimer: I am NOT 100% on this, probably not even 75%. I have come to this conclusion through what I have researched so far, along with the complete lack of any solid red wire on my S2 motorset's harness originating from the ECU or M63 (F3) plug.

This is a quick ignition system circuit as taken from the R33 FSM that seems to make some sense from what I have gathered.

Finally, I have a question that pertains to a non wiring-related technical matter. Has anyone tried or would happen to know if the HKS adjustable wastegate actuator kit for either S13 or S14/15 SR20 will work with an RB25 T28, or do I need to special order the RB25 kit? I've been trying to compare the two and the only difference I see is the bracket and how it spaces out the actuator from the turbo due to the stock RB turbo's hotpipe inlet being in the way. Any advice on this would be great.
ECR33/ER34 kit:

SR20DET kit:

That'll be it for now. Hopefully this will answer some questions and give people a place to turn to for these kinds of discussions. Thread will of course be updated and corrected if/as interest arises, information is shared and questions are answered.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
bb4_96
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
bb4_96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
skylines.uk has badass wrietups on the coilpack bs. I didn't read in very hard but it's out there.
bb4_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
wiring specialties
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
wiring specialties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I know most people using this thread will want to tackle their wiring by themselves, but if anyone would like to purchase a new RB harness for their swap, we have S1 and S2 RB25DET harnesses available.

View our RB25DET harnesses here.
The pre-made, brand new harnesses are available for S13's, s14's, and any Datsun.

We can also wire this motor into a Z32 with our wiring services.
wiring specialties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Shameless plug much?!?!

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:20 AM   #5
PS13 DRFT
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (18)
PS13 DRFT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PS13 DRFT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiring specialties View Post
I know most people using this thread will want to tackle their wiring by themselves, but if anyone would like to purchase a new RB harness for their swap, we have S1 and S2 RB25DET harnesses available.

View our RB25DET harnesses here.
The pre-made, brand new harnesses are available for S13's, s14's, and any Datsun.

We can also wire this motor into a Z32 with our wiring services.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Shameless plug much?!?!
Can you blame Yury for having an awesome company that delivers AMAZING products?

I can personally vouch for Wiring Specialties and for Yury. I got the RB25DET into S13 wiring harness and it made my swap super easy. I ran into an issue with my starter but had called Yury for tech support and he would answer the phone every time regardless of what time it was.

Honestly, if you're new to wiring, or you're just looking for clean harness with NEW wires AND connectors, go with the Wiring Specialties harness, you will NOTTTT be dissappointed!
PS13 DRFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
omgRWDgoodness!
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (48)
omgRWDgoodness! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Forgot about this thread for a while, hence the lack of any updates.

Anyway I ended up doing the wiring on my own when I did my swap back in August (first time swapping an engine let alone doing any sort of wiring for one btw), and it really isn't that difficult at all. It is also much more economical versus buying a pre-made harness or using a wiring service. Long story short, the engine starts up and runs/drives just fine, but due to an (as of yet) unknown problem with my motorset, it does not seem to be hitting its full potential power/torque-wise. My inability to find & fix the issue combined with my laziness has eventually led me to place a pre-order for one of those pre-made RB25 to S14 engine/transmission harness combos from Yury in an attempt to find out if indeed my wiring is at fault. I'm currently awaiting more information on when these harnesses will be completed and sent out, but I'm hoping it will be sometime this month. At least Yury says he'll be air-freighting them out once they are completed, so I will update as soon as I receive it and swap everything out.