Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
IsaacMTSU

Trader Rating: (0)
IsaacMTSU is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking SR20 Configuration Questions...

I have recently got an S14 with Redtop SR20DET back in running condition (after a shop wired up the coil signal wires wrong and couldn't figure it out). It has been sitting with no oil and the top cover and all hoses and wiring in the trunk for over 3 years. I have it running now... Anyway, I have no clue about what this car has on it. From what I can see, it has:

Stock ECU (E5)
Z32 MAFS
Full turbo back exhaust (with aftermarket O2 wired to ecu that may be a wideband?)
GT28RS (GT2860R is the same thing right?)
Stock injectors (I'm pretty sure)
Walbro pump
Lots of empty female connectors on ECU wiring (maybe a piggyback was there?)
GReddy Profec B-Spec II boost controller (boosts to 12psi)
It has some kind of aftermarket cams and adjustable cam sprockets
Other crap that doesn't matter for now...

The car has been driven a lot set up the way it is now. I have a narrow band A/F gauge wired up to it and it stays still just lean of the middle at idle and leans out slightly more when I got WOT and get up to 12psi (it never shows "rich" at all). I read that a narrow band gauge will just bounce around all the time though and this one doesn't. I also read the Z32 MAFS will run lean when used with a stock ECU. Do you think the ECU had a piggyback that is now missing? I know 12psi is too much for the stock injectors, but maybe that is just part of the problem. I upped the fuel pressure using the FPR screw and it leans out less at full boost than it did, but is there something missing in the whole setup?
IsaacMTSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
uhhh yeah, you need to tune the ECU for the MAFS, and yeah 12PSI on that Turbo is too much for stock INJ
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
IsaacMTSU

It runs awesome though, just seems a little lean by looking at the gauge. A Z32 MAFS on a stock ECU is supposed to run like crap though right? The ECU doesn't have any markings/stickers on it to show it has been tuned so that's why I say it is stock. Would a piggyback be the only reason for all the female connectors?
Old 04-20-2011, 11:05 PM   #4
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
open it up and look for a chip that sits on top, The wires depending on how many wires it might have been an SAFC

what color are the inj?
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
IsaacMTSU

From what I can see, there is no extra chip inside the ECU and the injectors are grey/black. I'll see which wires have a connector on them and post em up.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
IsaacMTSU

Isaac Cogdill's Photos | Facebook
That's all I can do for a photo of my ecu for now since I'm at work, but Is this chip with tape strips from the factory? Also the female connectors that could possibly be from piggyback are on the black ground, white MAFS signal, ignition (black and red), and two on the tach signal. Any help would be great.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
D.Bo
Zilvia Member

D.Bo is an unknown quantity at this point
it has a tune
D.Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
IsaacMTSU

Ok, other than the tuned ECU... The O2 sensor are both narrow band for sure. One is a fat 4 wire type in the turbo elbow and its wires are cut. There is another hooked up, but not working skinny 3 wire one in the exhaust pipe. Since the engine is a redtop, the O2 plug is a 3 wire. But, there are two. One is hooked up to the skinny O2 by the transmission and it looks like (faded) Black-Yellow?-Brown? 3 female plugs. Then there is one by the intake that is the normal Br/Y-White-Black, but it isn't hooked up. I tried running the 4 wire O2 to each of those plugs and my narrowband gauge just stays at .45V just like always does, even when the sensors are unplugged. My E5 ECU needs a 4 wire right?
Old 05-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #9
IsaacMTSU

Bump.........