Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-30-2014, 02:55 PM   #6151
MidwestMyriad
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
MidwestMyriad is making a name for him/her selfMidwestMyriad is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Confused at this post^
Old 01-30-2014, 04:07 PM   #6152
PIN GIO 2
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
PIN GIO 2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PIN GIO 2
hey everybody! I got tein tie rods inner/outer with gktech high tensile offset steering rack extenders and extenders 15mm lower control arms. what do you recommend use knuckles? i use oem knuckles, do i need modification knuckles?
Old 02-03-2014, 01:57 PM   #6153
Lurch629

Trader Rating: (0)
Lurch629 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post

These arms are beefy as heck, Keisler's are just a square chunk of aluminum. The Keisler kit will also never pull as much angle as Wisefab or TDP because the tension rod location.

Keisler is... cheap. I'd rather have a PSM setup on my car, especially with the new stuff they're coming out with. Yeah you have to buy it all separate, but at least it's made by a company who tests their stuff in the field and actually has some automotive experience.
It looks like Keisler took your "field testing" comment fairly literally.

Fairly bumpy course with some hard hits. Stuff seems to have held up without issue.

Appears to be fairly light as well.

Lurch629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #6154
IROYLE1
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
IROYLE1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I wish someone would update the pictures on the original post
IROYLE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:49 PM   #6155
ZacKisBacK_Fr
Leaky Injector

ZacKisBacK_Fr is an unknown quantity at this point
Those pics come from DG Motorsports in France, they use to work on my car and made my Z33 gearbox adapter plate for my SR20, they sell those keisler here. They made this comparison between the wisefab and the keisler for a customer that changed the wisefab to go with the keisler. Even if it's lighter, I'm still not convinced by those keisler stuff. I saw a post where someone (Def iirc) said they are not so well designed and I think they seem weak compared to other brands like PSM or TDP. I have driftworks stuff in front and would rather go with PSM or GKtech next year as I'll have to replace all of those. Any info to share as to what makes them inferior to the top contenders around (TDP/PSM/GKtech/Driftworks)?
Old 02-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #6156
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Motary
Would like to see it tested in road racing conditions that load up the knuckle and arms laterally
Motary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #6157
ZacKisBacK_Fr
Leaky Injector

Yep! That's what I think too! But anyone could elaborate a bit on the Keisler weakness?
Old 02-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #6158
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacKisBacK_Fr View Post
Yep! That's what I think too! But anyone could elaborate a bit on the Keisler weakness?
The thin cross section of the knuckle is not good when you load the tire up laterally. It makes the knuckle bend in a U shape.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:43 AM   #6159
ZacKisBacK_Fr
Leaky Injector

Makes sense, thanks!
Old 02-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #6160
shephurd
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
shephurd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I figured this would be the best place to post here.

I am in a Junior Mechanical Engineering Design class and for my project proposal I chose to design a modified knuckle to achieve more steering angle and achieve corrected roll center when the car is lowered. What I am looking for are the dimensions for a stock s13 knuckle that I can base the geometry off of. If anyone can help me out that would be great or have any input for my design project.
shephurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:42 PM   #6161
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROYLE1 View Post
I wish someone would update the pictures on the original post
Sorry about that everyone. Stupid photobucket. I'll get after that. I think there are a few new products to add anyway.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:13 PM   #6162
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Check this out, GKtech has a great idea here. Their new rear knuckle is compatible with stock arms, but has revised kinematics, sphericals, and actual Z32 drum brake compatibility. Pretty cool.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:21 PM   #6163
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
i was just looking at those on facebook. they look crazy expensive to build but they're saying $350 US. solid.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:13 PM   #6164
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
i was just looking at those on facebook. they look crazy expensive to build but they're saying $350 US. solid.
Yeah I'm sure than an introductory price like they usually do. Definitely a deal.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #6165
powahh
Leaky Injector

powahh is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Check this out, GKtech has a great idea here. Their new rear knuckle is compatible with stock arms, but has revised kinematics, sphericals, and actual Z32 drum brake compatibility. Pretty cool.

I hope those are 300ZX rear caliper brackets!
Old 02-12-2014, 03:12 PM   #6166
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Aren't they the same as S14 caliper brackets?
Old 02-12-2014, 03:13 PM   #6167
powahh
Leaky Injector

powahh is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motary View Post
Aren't they the same as S14 caliper brackets?

Yes I mean both of them are.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:18 PM   #6168
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

They look the same to me...

Old 02-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #6169
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
They should figure out a way to add all the adjustment bits to the knuckle. Perhaps by using a shim system, similar to their RLCA. That way the knuckle would become the end-all rear suspension part, so there would be no need for any other aftermarket arms.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:59 AM   #6170
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

There is no perfect solution to adjusting alignment, they all mess with kinematics. A shimmed system would require total redesign, increase weight and complexity significantly and the upper arm loads are small anyway so if you are really on a budget the ebay arms are fine as long as the welds hold and rod ends have no play
Old 02-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #6171
brainfood
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
brainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
What is everyone doing to get more travel from the rack? Right now I'm running pbm inners with an added spacer on the passenger side and then recenter the rack. I have clearance for a lot more angle if I could get more travel but I think the rack will hit the inner seal if I add any more spacer.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #6172
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Put another rack extension on the divers side.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:34 PM   #6173
brainfood
Post Whore!

brainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond repute
With another rack spacer on the drivers side it hits the seal before the steering stop. Pbm inners already have a spacer machined in.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #6174
motoxris
Leaky Injector

motoxris is an unknown quantity at this point
Once you get you extra 7mm om the driver side and 12 mm om the passanger side you done. You want get more from the rack. Honestly most people don't even need it when what they really need is to continue practicing to be a better driver.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
motoxris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:33 PM   #6175
brainfood
Post Whore!

Oh I should be a better driver. Got you. I'll work on that. Lol

All I needed to know was if anyone was getting more travel. Clearly I've done by homework. I'll just cut more off the knuckle. My knuckles are 1" shorter because it used to be the max rules would allow but I see from pics that wisefab is a lot shorter.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:11 PM   #6176
tauntdevil
Zilvia Junkie

tauntdevil is a well-known jackass
So... been searching for awhile for TDP angle kit as I would like to try it out but I keep finding it for about $2,800 shipped...
Anyone know where to find it cheaper?

S14 KA NA two cylinders, 75whp limper
tauntdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:19 PM   #6177
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainfood View Post
I'll just cut more off the knuckle.
That is pretty much all you can do, short of using an aftermarket rack.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:39 PM   #6178
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

This is the roll center, suspension pickup, and steering angle modification t...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauntdevil View Post
So... been searching for awhile for TDP angle kit as I would like to try it out but I keep finding it for about $2,800 shipped...
Anyone know where to find it cheaper?

They are only available through TDP, there are no U.S. distributors.

Quote:
Oh I should be a better driver. Got you. I'll work on that. Lol

All I needed to know was if anyone was getting more travel. Clearly I've done by homework. I'll just cut more off the knuckle. My knuckles are 1" shorter because it used to be the max rules would allow but I see from pics that wisefab is a lot shorter.

Don't forget to reduce your ackerman for max angle.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:42 AM   #6179
tauntdevil
Zilvia Junkie

tauntdevil is a well-known jackass
Quote:
They are only available through TDP, there are no U.S. distributors..
Only issue with that is they dont list their dang prices and the dealer they list for the US doesnt have any suspsnesion components at all listed on their site.

All the sites that I find that do sell them are mostly in Europe and the cost is about $2800 shipped.
So assumed that is the price for these?
Which is fine, I will just continue to go with wisefab, was just wondering if they were any cheaper than that anywhere else?

S14 KA NA two cylinders, 75whp limper
tauntdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:24 AM   #6180
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
With another rack spacer on the drivers side it hits the seal before the steering stop. Pbm inners already have a spacer machined in.

I run 2 rack extensions with pbm spacer on both sides, no problems.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote