Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #2821
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
What kind if alignment place doesn't check your tire pressures
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #2822
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
What kind if alignment place doesn't check your tire pressures
What kind of dude that has been building a car from the ground up for four years doesn't know when he has a flat tire? lolol I've never had an alignment shop check tire pressure. And really, with someone with a car like this, would you really expect them to be driving on a tire with no air in it?

I drove the car to work today without any issues. Illinois bound tomorrow morning!

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #2823
future
Post Whore!

future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Oh we'll I used to do alignments and I know tire pressure affects your alignment so I always checked them before anything

But good luck on the trip. One year I hope to make it out there once we have something presentable
Old 10-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #2824
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
What kind of dude that has been building a car from the ground up for four years doesn't know when he has a flat tire?
seriously.. fuckin retard

check your pressure unless you like damaging your wheel and tire. im sure your wheel has lots of tire shreds inside now. hope you didnt drive too far.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #2825
towlie
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (11)
towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Run flat damage is what it's called
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #2826
Johny5
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Johny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Johny5
you're on the golden path with this thing here bro
Old 10-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #2827
Darren
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Darren is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny5 View Post
Off to see the wizard?

but seriously, that sucks about the tire, good thing you got it figured out before there was serious damage, though..
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #2828
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny5 View Post
lol, thanks Stew!

For the third year in a row since I have known those guys, I decided to make the trek down to Toby’s place for his annual Nissan BBQ. It’s usually a small gathering of primarily Illinois 240 dudes, with a few other cars thrown in from time to time. Always a good group of people and fun to hang out with my friends down there.

I’m always nervous about a long trip like this in the 240, but to this day it hasn’t let me down on a long road trip. Despite the dribbles of coolant, oil, and trans fluid on the garage floor the night before my departure, as well as a rubbing rear wheel and a front wheel with a slow leak, I decided to give it a shot. I tossed a few random tools in the car for good measure and let the car warm up in the driveway for a bit early on Friday morning.

It was for sure cold out, but it didn’t seem too crazy. I think it was about 50 or so when I left. I gassed up in town (while being asked what kind of car it is and if I race it, of course) before jumping on the freeway and heading West. As is customary in my part of the country, a lifted Diesel truck decided to get in front of me and play the song of his people for me for about a mile, spewing black smoke in my path the entire way. Kind and import-loving people, those Michiganders.

Despite the rear wheel hitting the inside of the chassis occasionally on large bumps and a myriad of random vibrating/squeaking noises, the drive seemed to be going pretty well. It was cloudy but rain free, which was a plus. I did foresee the need for wipers after my recent rainy drive, so I was happy to have those installed on the car again. The lack of heater core was really becoming a bummer, though.

About four hours into the drive, I hit some rain. Thankfully it was never too heavy and didn’t really cause any issues. Very comforting to have the fuse boxes inside of the car, as opposed to in the fender wells in the past.

After about five hours and forty-five minutes, I arrived at Toby’s shop. For some reason I didn’t really take too many pictures past this point in the trip, but I know someone at the BBQ took some really nice shots. I’ll be sure to post them up when I get them.

Fortunately, the drive home was rather uneventful as well, aside from kids trying to race me while I was trying to eat McDonald’s. Never a good time, lol.

Sadly, despite this being only one of two big drives I took the car on this summer, the weather seems to be taking a turn for the worse. I’ll probably only have the car out for another couple of weeks, and then it will be time to tuck her away for the season. It’s just too cold to drive this thing in 30 degree temps without heat, haha.

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 10-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #2829
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

I met a gentlemen by the name of Loren at Toby’s Nissan BBQ who also happens to own an SR swapped black 240 hatch- super cool dude. He offered to take some snaps of Kyle and I’s cars for us, and this is what he came up with. I’m really impressed with his work! Thanks for the shots Loren, appreciate it!

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 10-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #2830
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
I want to come next year.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #2831
Touge_Monster
Zilvia FREAK!

Touge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond repute

Car looks AWESOME dude. 6 hour road trip is definitely an accomplishment for these things haha.
This thread gave me aids, thank you based god.
Touge_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #2832
Pinggg
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Pinggg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Damn Damon looking good bro, glad to see that the drive went fairly well!
Pinggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #2833
future
Post Whore!

I like the red one. Why doesn't he have a build thread? Or am I just blind to it?
Old 10-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #2834
gbaby2089
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
gbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
He has one.

User kyles1988
gbaby2089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #2835
s0fa king
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
s0fa king is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
that engine bay is a masterpiece.
s0fa king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #2836
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

^ Thanks man!

Well, this post is sure to ruffle some feathers, lol. I'll just get it out there and then try to explain myself a bit:

I've decided to part out my TYPE X and move on to a new adventure.

There, I said it! lol. I got chills typing that out. But yeah, as I am sure you guys can tell, things have slowed down over here quite a bit lately. After my daughter was born in June, I quickly began to learn where my true priorities are in life. I also began to realize that I simply don't have the time to continue building, maintaing, and adequately enjoying a car like my 240. I know it's fairly cliche to part out a car like this after having a child, and I used to completely agree with that sentiment- until I was in this position for myself.

I've had a blast building this car for just shy of four years now. I took something that I knew almost nothing about and that everyone told me was a waste of money, and learned to build it into something worthy of praise from the very people that doubted my vision. I never intended to build this car to this level, and I never would have imagined I would have ended up here. I can't be thankful enough for the friends I have made and all of the skills I have learned through building this car.

Some questions that might be coming to mind:

Why not keep it sitting in the garage and come back to it?

To be honest, I just don't think that would be fair to myself, my family, or the car. Half of the enjoyment of owning this car for me has been the build itself, and without that aspect I have began to lose interest a bit. And when I do have interest, I simply don't have the free time I used to to devote to being out in the garage. The other half of enjoying this car is driving it, and I rarely get to do so anymore. Without the ability to bring my family along for the ride, the car tends to just sit around. Combine that with the fact that my changes to the car over the years have made it less than a joy/practical to drive, and this plan doesn't really make sense. I used to enjoy three issues popping up after one was addressed, but it feels like more of a chore or responsibility to me now.

Why not sell it outright as a complete, running build?

I would recoup about half of what I have into this car if I did that. I need to get the most I can for all of the parts and the car itself to make letting it go worth it to me. At the same time, I think I would have a very hard time seeing someone else in my car. That may be a bit selfish, but it's just the reality of the situation for me. I'd like to see the parts go to people all over the world who can enjoy them like I did, and give someone a chance to build the rolling chassis into something of their own.

Can I PM you about buying _________ from your car?

At this time, please don't send me a PM or post asking for a specific part. I will be parting the car out in phases (Interior, Exterior, Suspension, Drivetrain, etc.) and want things to remain as organized as possible for me. As you can imagine, this is going to be a massive undertaking. I'll be sure to post in this thread as different phases of the partout are posted on the forums. Zilvia members will get first dibs on the parts from this car.

And no, at this time I do NOT plan to sell the ZEROS.

What's next?

My plan at this point is to purchase an Evo 8 or 9. I'll be doing mild mods to this car, but plan to use it as my daily driver year round- so don't expect it to get too wild. But, I have said that before, so who knows lol. It will be great to have heat, air conditioning, a nice interior, four doors, and a streetable overall car for me to enjoy all year, even in the harsh Michigan winters.

Anyway, I don't expect everyone to agree with what I have said or the car being parted out. I've never been one to build a car and part it out after the magazine hits the news stands, and I hope this won't be perceived as one of those scenarios. To be honest, I still can't believe this thing ended up on the cover of a magazine, lol! This is simply a reaction to changes in my life and my priorities.

I can't thank you guys enough for all of the support over the years. This has been an unbelievable experience, and I am really grateful for all of the friendships I have made along the way. I'll still be around, so don't worry about that. Who knows, maybe when I'm old and gray I'll end up with another one of these things.

Geez, I feel like I am breaking up with Zilvia, LOL. Here's a pic of the car at her last meet on Saturday:

I'll be sure to get some shots this week before I put her away and tear her down one last time, so stay tuned for that. Thanks for reading guys!

Damon

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 10-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #2837
future
Post Whore!

i feel like you just broke up with us. </3
Old 10-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #2838
Conrad 2NR
Zilvia Member

Conrad 2NR is an unknown quantity at this point
A bit late for April fools don't you think?

*unsubscribes from wordpress/instagram/facebook/zilvia*
Old 10-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #2839
Touge_Monster
Zilvia FREAK!

Touge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond repute
Saving money now..............
This thread gave me aids, thank you based god.
Touge_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #2840
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
We are never ever ever getting back together!
Old 10-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #2841
Darren
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Darren is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Haha, nice... don't let them get you down Damon!

I, for one, am excited to see what you plan to do in your "new adventure"... i'm sure the urge to mod won't be left at "mild mods" for long!

I'm glad that you are nicely putting this build behind you and moving on instead of, like a lot of builds, it got smashed or drifted into oncoming traffic...
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #2842
Masa
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (18)
Masa is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
heartbreaker post
Masa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #2843
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (38)
zooopreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Honestly, I'm not surprised. Family should always comes first. Nice to see some realistic minded folks with rad cars doing the right thing for the time being. Good luck with the partout, Damon!
For Sale #1 | For Sale #2
zooopreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #2844
OutlawLui
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
OutlawLui is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Save it and put a cover on it.

In 20 years wen you lift a corner of that dusty cover youll thank your self

I wish i would have done this with my old chevy nova project ;_;
Old 10-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #2845
future
Post Whore!

Hey how many of us called the part out though? Lol

I feel like you forgot the "it's not you; it's me" in your post also
Old 10-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #2846
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Real bummer, good to see you've got your priorities straight though.

When you get your new car, be sure to post your "mild build" on here... Im sure it wont stay mild haha.
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #2847
gbaby2089
Zilvia Addict

gbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfection
Zilvia went from "In a relationship" to "Single"
gbaby2089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #2848
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Damon,

I cant blame you for wanting a more pratical car in your situation. I have a 2011 STi Sedan and love it. It is not fast but AWD is fantastic for year round driving, 4 doors make life easier and you still have some fun with minor mods. Having said that I think you are a little crazy with parting it all out. Sure some stuff you could find again BUT I predict in about 5 more years there will be a massive decline in 240sx parts, especially those hard to find pieces. If you ever plan on another nissan you may want to hang on to the true japanese parts, especially "universal" ones you could use with a different platform.

You have the right priorities but keep in mind the future and value of items. You may make more money by sitting on some parts. For me I look at mine as strickly a toy. No payments, low insurance, etc... I figure its cheaper to own than a boat or seasonal toys (cycle, atv, camper). Be sure to stick around, the Evo forums are not all that great lol.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #2849
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
turbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to turbo2nr
i am truly sad, i enjoyed your build your years. Best of luck with the new platform and your family. I guess we all have to grow up one day..

s14 kouki ka-t
turbo2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #2850
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Man, I feel like I am crushing everyone's dreams! lol.

CamryOnBronze.com